Screwed By Southworth Guitars For $35

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by thefishingline, Jun 28, 2007.

1. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

I thought long and hard about naming the dealer, as I wanted to keep it generic and gentlemanly, but I have not heard back from Gil after NUMEROUS e mails, written letters and phone calls...I figured what the hell...I'll name the dealer and give you the auction links so you can see the cases for yourself...

eBay: Original Vintage Hard Shell CASE for 58' - 61' ES-335 (item 170108904509 end time May-13-07 19:00:00 PDT)

eBay: Original '58 - '61 Gibson ES-335 Brown Hard CASE (item 170109083190 end time May-20-07 18:30:00 PDT)

Here's the scoop....
    So I work out a deal to sell my 73’ LP deluxe cherry sunburst to Southworth Guitars in MD…a dealer for $2,500, not what I was looking for, but fair and acceptable...and before the “dealer protectors” here say he gave me a great price…he has one on his site for $4,200 and another for $3,800 so he is making a good buck on our deal. I would have held out locally for more but as you know things are very slow in the market now and I needed some $$ for a 52coming my way..

So anyway…as it happens, I see Southworth selling a 50’s ES 335 case on E Bay so I buy it and work out the deal where Gil buys my LP and subtracts what I owe him for the case and he pays the shipping of the LP to him and he AGREES to pay the shipping for my 335 case to me since I was asking a few $$’s more on the LP which I didn't get...plus he won't pay for the guitar till it gets there...talk about a one way street??? Like to see me get a guitar first then pay a dealer...that ain't ever happening is it?? but need I digress...back to the story

Any way I see another 335 case on his e bay listing and call Gil on that and he says it is in better shape than the one I just bought...and NO I DID NOT ASK TO RETURN or NEGATE THE FIRST CASE I BOUGHT...I made a deal on an e bay auction and I stick by it!!

So I buy the second one as well (knowing I'll move it down the line at some point) and of course w agree for Gil to subtract the cost of that case from the LP money as well and yes there was a $35 shipping charge on the second case so I say no problem…

What does he do?? You guessed it…he sends both 335 cases IN THE SAME BOX AND CHARGES ME THE $35 SHIPPING AND subtracts another $35 from the LP purchase price from the check he has to send me for the LP and claims because they were shipped together I got my free shipping on the first case!!

Now I just sent him a 25 pound box with an LP in it insured for $2,500 and that cost only $36.22…he sends me a box with two empty case, which is pretty stupid in the first place...and I’m not sure if it was insured or not...but if it was…that still cost less then the shipping on the LP I sent Gil, perhaps $30 and even if it was $35, it’s the same $35 he agreed to pay for when he agreed to send the first case…to me free

I had no problem paying the $35 shipping on the second case but I thought it was COMING IN A SECOND BOX!!

Now is $35 going to break my bank?? Of course not. BUT Somehow this just ain’t right and a pretty sorry and poor display of salesmanship if you ask me…and before all the you know who dealer protectors start chiming in here about I am hard to deal with…or you know what you’re into if you sell to thefishingline bullshit…and you know who you are….this just reeks of poor salesmanship and actually this dealer being a cheap SOB!!

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...tsk...tsk...you really should read up on how shipping works...

3. Rock Star

Rock Star Premium Member

thefishlingline I know what that feels like. I agree that the dealer showed poor salesmanship. Talk about being fucking cheap. Thanks for sharing your experience and making it known who the dealer is on the bay. Better luck next time.

4. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...the whole story is not being told here me thinks...you can not ship two cases for the price of one,even if they are in the same box...box size much bigger...I had to pay more shipping on a guitar once as the box size was larger than a Gibson one...

5. thefishingline

Now why would you doubt what I am saying?? The two cases came in the same fucking box...it was slightly larger than the les paul box I shipped and actually had pieces of my box in as dividers...how do I know?? because my shipping label was on one of the scraps!!

6. thefishingline

What are you some sort of trouble maker?? (LOL) Do you think I have nothing to do but sit around and make this shit up?? Southworth says he'll ship the first case for free..the second is on me...so he ships them both in the same fucking case which is stupid as shit to begin with...

the whole thing could not have cost more than $30 which is less then the price he offered to pay for the first case....my calculation on UPS had his cost of sending one case at $15 tops

This is not learning how shipping works but being screwed over for $35 all the while I am eyeing a guitar for $12 grand on his site...needless to say that deal won't be going through...I would never deal with a cheap son of bitch like that ever again...he lost a customer and a big sale and who knows how many others....

7. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not. I just want to say I've known Gil for over 20 years, and not just as a guitar dealer, but as a friend - a guy I've gone drinking with, jammed with, hung out with, etc etc. Please believe me when I say I would bet the house that he wasn't being cheap or malicious here, but rather.. um... flakey. Gil marches to the beat of a different drummer. Always has. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong in any way... but the intent is probably not what you perceive it to be. He's also in the middle of closing his brick-and-mortar store in Bethesda, MD, so he's a bit overwhelmed right now, andf your deal sounds like the kind of thing that could get a little confusing in the middle of all the mess. Just thought I'd mention it.

8. thefishingline

He was always super nice on the phone...even at the last conversation where he tried to pawn off on me the aspect I got free shipping because the cases came together...what a crock of shit and what knowlegdable dealer in their right minds ships two cases together??

Even the nice e mails and letters I sent went in one ear and out the other...Geez you'd think closing the overhead of a store he could afford to keep his word for $35...

my mother always said I march to the beat of another drummer, but if I say I am going to so something...I do it...he was also going to let the whole deal fall through because I wanted him to ship the case to me because I was getting less for the LP than I wanted or thought he should pay and as I was ready to hang up he changed his mind and said okay...after 20 minutes of BS with him on the phone over the shipping...he whacky to put it mildly

I could have easily bagged off on the first case for the second one but I didn't and spent $1,400 on two cases...what a dope that he can't see the forest for the trees as far as customer service...

these dealer guys...and he's not the only one...think we are doing them the favor buying from them when it is actually the other way around!! And then beats me for $35...I won't ever do business with him again and I have spoken to several members of the forums personally who do not have a single good thing to say abouy Gil.

What ever happened to customer service and the sutomer is always right??? I get screwed more often by dealers than I ever have through all the private transactions on E Bay!!

Next time you go have beer with Gil make him buy the first few rounds...on me with my $35

9. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...:eek2:...

10. thefishingline

11. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

:Ohno:you should put them in your "Hall of Shame" :Ohno:

12. thefishingline

Good one...I guess you have been to my web site...are you local to NY?? I didn't see an location in your avatar

13. PowerSlim

PowerSlim Junior Member

Looks like this story has been told at the link below. No one seems to be buying it. I wonder why?

check it out:

Les Paul Forum

14. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

All I can say is it's a good Job Southworth is in the USA and not Canada, or even worse, overseas, or he'd be in for a real slamming from The Fishing Line!
    Seriously, though, dealers always come out of every deal smelling of roses. It's in the nature of professional dealers to keep edging the deal in their favour. I have bought guitars and vintage parts from US dealers regularly, and it used to surprise me when they arrived with non-original cases (apparently doing me a favour since the tired original case may not stand up to shipping) and swapped parts, but now I just expect the worst. In my mind you got off lightly. I do have to say, that there are a few dealers I trust completely, but they are more enthusiasts that dealers and really care about the instruments. No need to name them in case I forget someone, but we all know who the good guys are, and they know who they are too.

15. thefishingline

you are right...some dealers seem to think they can do whatever they want and they are doing us a favor allowing us to deal with them...and no one other than me seems to want to stand up and say I'm not going to take it any more!!....and name names....

16. thefishingline

Yea I told that story "over there" and I have not been back to look at it since...and I gave my reasons why I wouldn't at the top of the story. I am a reporter for a living and I am objective and tell the story JUST AS IT HAPPENED!!

I really couldn't give a shit what those morons over there think of it or not....They actually think I sit around and make this stuff up...screw them...

I try not to name a dealer in one complaint and those washwomen there crucify you wanting the name...then on the other hand if you give them a name they crucify you for naming names...meanwhile the little guy is afraid to speak up and say something for fear a dealer may not allow him to buy from that dealer...or worse the dealer he trashed may change parts or cases just as the Sgt. Pepper pointed out...BULLLSHIT...dealers need us we don't have to have dealers to get our fix...:fingersx:

Believe what you want but I have had terrible luck with dealers as I believe most are out to screw you these days...if they can get away with it...

Many of those assholes on the other forums who always take the dealer sides ARE dealers even though many of us know them only as "collectors." They continue to do business under the guise of collectors when in reality they are dealers, they NEVER admit when the market is soft...as it is right now...and think we owe it to them to buy our vintage stuff from them...BULLSHIT I say.

If you read the other "Place's" post then you saw one guy who is close beer drinking buddies with Gil from Southworth even say in that thread Gil is Flakey and wrong in doing what he did with me..but all of Gil's dealers buddies I am sure have rushed to his side to defend the almightly "dealer man"

Think what you want and believe what you want...but I have ALWAYS put to pen the EXACT story...no fucking excuses and no fucking embellishment...end of story and I realy don't care what any one thinks...

I put these rants out there only when something like this happens as a warning to little collectors like me who the good guys are BUT more importantly who the bad guys are!

17. TomGuitar

TomGuitar Member

Let me get this straight.

1) You sold him a guitar and the deal was he paid the shipping to him on that guitar.
    2) You bought a case and the deal was he paid the shipping to you on case #1.
    3) You bought a second case and the deal was you paid $35 to have it shipped to you.

You shipped your guitar. He shipped the cases. He sent you a check for your the agreed upon sale price of your guitar minus the agreed upon price of the cases and minus $35 for shipping, as agreed.

Do I have that right? Cause if I do, you have no complaint.

18. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

:thumb: sounds right to me

19. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...for some odd reason...he figures otherwise...

20. thefishingline

I'm done trying to explain it to some of you morons...again you miss the point...it is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't really give a SHIT about $35..I piss that away on a few top shelf scotches in 30 minutes

First off who the hell ships both cases in the same box..did you bother to read what I posted?? Each luthier and respectable dealer I spoke with and even many of the forums members I speak to regularly would never advise to ship two cases in the same box...

AND if you think it is okay to ship both caess in the same box...he could have just as easily shown some customer service and paid for it as he agreed to on the first case RIGHT??

He agrees to pay shipping on the first case, slips the 2nd case in the same box then decides..well let me charge him for shipping the second case and I can claim the first one was free because it is in the same box...

a decent dealer would have thought "I think I got a good customer here...he didn't even hesitate to spend the $1,400....didn't back out of the first case when he bought the second better case..he asked me about a 50's LP case for $2k or more and is thinking of dropping another $10k on another guitar I have in stock...I'll just pick up the $3o shipping because he sounds like a serious buyer"

Instead this knucklehead Gil thinks..""I think I got a good customer here...he didn't even hesitate to spend the $1,400....didn't back out of the first case when he bought the second better case..he asked me about a 50's LP case for $2k and is thinking of dropping another $10 k on anotyher guitar I have...nahhh I'l get my $35 for the shipping so what...he'll be back..."

WELL NO I WON'T

I assure you that if you were in my shoes the same questions would be in your head too...what the fuck is he thinking?? Why kind of fucking customer service is this??