School Me On Jimmy Page Les Paul Reissues

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Metal Guru, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

Hi All.
    One of my long term goals is to acquire a Jimmy Page reissue. However, it seems like there's been several reissues by Gibson and some appear to be more authentic than others. Also, there's been reissues for #1 and #2 and a possible #3 rumored?
    Anyway it seems like a big subject and I am looking to the expertise of this board to educate me.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

hidebai likes this.
  2. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

Back in the mid 1990s the first Jimmy Page Les Paul came out but it was more like a fancied up Les Paul Standard with 4 push pull pots and hot pickups. In 2004 or so there was the Jimmy Page #1 Custom Authentic which was a close copy of his real Number 1 '59 Les Paul. Has a thin neck profile that matches the original #1 and Custom Burstbucker pickups. There are signed and aged versions, unsigned aged versions and lastly Custom Authentic (early VOS type treatment). Then there's copies of Pages Number 2 and Black Beauty guitars also signed and unsigned I believe came out later on.

3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Only one thing to do, wait till JimmyAce (John) posts in this Thread.

John is our resident expert on these & has owned them all.

:cheers2:

Gtarzan81 and mrfett like this.
  4. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

5. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

mrfett likes this.
  6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Yup ....Expensive.....

7. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Is that one still at music zoo for 100,000 :rofl:

mrfett likes this.
  8. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

I had read somewhere that the first Page models did not have the thin neck. I also read that Page sued Gibson to stop making them. Then I noticed that Page LP's were reissued around 2004 (?) so I was wondering what all the models were about.
    I see the guitars from second reissue are pretty pricey.....

9. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Just buy an old Standard, change the wiring and shave the neck. That's what he did.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  10. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

They did a signature run in the late nineties. It was not made in the Custom shop. It was pretty much a USA standard with 21 tone wiring harness and push pulls. The wiring was similar to his #2 Les Paul. Apparently Page didn't like them and there was some legal wrangling. I've read these are decent guitars but they are not as desirable as the later Custom Shop models. I believe the necks started out thinner on this model but eventually ended up being closer to a standard at the end of the run.

In the early 2000s they did a Custom Shop Page model that was a closer replica of his #1. The neck is shaved to mimic Page's actual #1. There is some variation on these necks as well in my experience. The stock wiring has a push/pull to split the coils while the middle pickup position is permanently out of phase. I put the two push/pull Jonesy wiring harness in my #1. I believe there are three versions available. The aged/Paged signed variety, the Murphy aged variety and the VOS. My current #1 is a Yamano VOS Page #1. Obviously the Pages signed variety is the most desirable and expensive followed by Murphy aged and then VOS.

In 2009 they did a Custom Shop run of his #2. This also had a slim neck but not as slim as the #1. The wiring has 4 push/pull and two buttons under the pickgaurd just like Page's real #2. Also three tiers of desirability, Page signed/played, Murphy aged and finally VOS.

Any other questions?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  11. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

Here's a pic of my #1 (right) and #2 (left).
    [​IMG]

ADP, Bigcat2017, ledlover2 and 7 others like this.
  12. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Isn't Page's real #1 a '58, or is it known what year burst it really is?.................Just curious.

13. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

No that has been debunked. An old guitar magazine hypothesised that it was a 58 and many in the guitar community just ran with it. Page's guitar has some telling signs that it's a 59. Off the top of my head I believe one of the most telling is the white bridge pickup. Apparently the white bobbin PAFs only ended up in 59s.

I believe you can find this info in the vintage section. There is a monster thread about Page's guitars there. It's a good read if you have a day or two to kill!
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/jimmy-page-history-of-his-guitars.22836/

bulletproof and mudface like this.
  14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Thank you Steve, I have always believed it was a '59,.......... It was an argument that a friend started with me and i just let him win, cuz sometimes it's better to let a friend win. I kinda thought it wasn't known cuz it was refinished after the neck was shaved and had no serial number, but white bobbins would narrow it down. :cheers:

steve13281 likes this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

There are some very reasonably price "Page" LP's on Digimart. They are essentially custom ordered Page LP's in Orange Sunset fade (basically calling the Page burst a different name. Slim neck, And all the other appointments. Contractual obligations keep them from calling it a '59 so they call it a '58. Gibby repurposed some Felder '59's into '58 stingers. So if you don't have to have a COA it is a great way to get a Page for a great deal. I would do it and probably will some day.

16. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

I owned a repurposed Felder a couple years ago. Nice guitar!

DADGAD likes this.
  17. joff

joff Senior Member

My JP #1 Aged...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ledlover2, Gtarzan81, Nobucks and 6 others like this.
  18. peter1954

peter1954 Junior Member

Why do you want to pay thousands extra for something with an artist's name on it and push pull pots? bear with me here; it just doesn't make sense to me and I want to understand the sense behind it.

19. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

Well, my goal is to get something that would make me happy and NOT have to pay a gazillion dollars for it.
    That's why I'm here asking questions and letting all the people with the knowledge educate me so I don't do something stupid. The experts are are delivering on that, by the look of this thread.

20. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

I do re-finish guitars so the thought has crossed my mind.

Nobucks and 1981 LPC like this.