Saw Paul McCartney In Concert A Few Days Ago :)

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by HearHear, Jul 16, 2017.

1. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Sir Paul came to Tampa, FL on Monday and as always his concert was amazing. This incredibly talented man just refuses to get old. He played at the Amalie Arena in Tampa on Monday night, and here is my mini-story of our adventure seeing Paul:

The calm before the storm (literally). This pic was taken about 2:00pm on Monday afternoon if memory serves correctly, and the concert began at 8:00pm. So, this pic was taken about 6 hours before the concert. We reserved a table at the upscale buffet dining facility inside the arena, our table was located at one of the windows to the left of the Paul McCartney sign in the pic.
    Note the blue sky and general emptiness of the place....Calm before the storm....
    Paul 1.jpg

The pic above was taken at about 2:00pm. The pic below was taken from our dining table inside the arena at around 5:30pm. Note the now stormy sky outside, flags whipping in the wind, it was literally like a hurricane. Wicked lightning all over the place, heavy rain and flash flooding, people coming in soaked through. We were lucky, in that we arrived early just before the storm hit. So we were dry. (Note the yellow lightning sculpture outside our window below, it's reflected in the window we were sitting at in the above pic, to the left of the McCartney sign).
    What was a pleasant surprise, however, was that we didn't hear only rain and thunder. From our dining table, we could actually hear Paul and his band warming up! It was so cool! We could hear him singing, practicing, hear his band warming up going through a few songs. The wall close to our table must have been very close to the stage area.
    The stormy dinner while Paul was warming up and giving us a pre-concert treat while we ate:
    Paul 2.jpg

After dinner, we bought souvenirs and went to our seats in the arena. The pic below was taken about an hour before the concert began. Note the empty seats as people start trickling in:
    Paul 3.jpg

Here's the concert in full swing about an hour later, packed house, Paul singing "A Hard Day's Night". Excuse the terrible pics but my phone camera really sucks and couldn't handle the stage lighting:
    Paul 4.jpg

Another concert pic, pure excitement and awe:
    Paul 5.jpg

Hints if you're going to see Paul:

At some point in the concert, he looks around the audience to read signs people are holding up. So if you want a chance to get his attention, bring a sign to hold up. Poster size will do, apparently. He may just read your sign from the stage! He read one sign that a woman held up saying "Paul please sign my butt" (!!) Paul actually read it aloud and said "No, no, no, well..Ok, let's all have a look then!" The audience died laughing. Then Paul started playing the classic "And I love Her", and halfway through he wiggled his butt to the audience. Laughter again. I'll never listen to that song the same way again! I really wish I could post that video clip, but I can't from my computer apparently. This site won't let me.

At another point, a lady and her son were invited on stage to sing a song with Paul. She had a Sgt. Pepper costume on, Paul called her "Mrs. Sgt. Pepper". So another way to get Paul's attention obviously is to dress up. You may just get the chance of a lifetime to sing on stage with a Beatle. (I assume she paid a very high price for the good seats, though, as she had a VIP pass around her neck that people got with the prime seats up front near the stage).

One word about pyrotechnics- the explosions during the song "Live and Let Die" nearly made everyone pee their pants. It was so unexpected and LOUD. After the song, Paul was bent over his piano with his fingers in his ears saying "too loud!". I guess he thought so too! It was funny.

Super concert from Paul, very memorable as all his concerts are. See him if you can, a real legend among us.

YoshiJimbo, joba, meatball and 8 others like this.
  2. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

HearHear,
    Glad you enjoyed the show. We went to see Sir Paul last August at Hershey Park PA, it was outdoors in the stadium. We were lucky enough to have prefect weather ( a break in a heatwave ).
    The show was great, and as you said Paul can still hang with the young guns. The audience was very diverse... babies to great grandparents. It's nice to see younger people who enjoy old/classic music.
    They did some of my favorite songs from Abby Road, and the White Album, and a very nice version of "Something" as a tribute to George.
    As a Beatles fan back in the '60s I just had to go...we may not get another chance.

kevinpaul and HearHear like this.
  3. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

That's what I keep thinking too. He's very young at heart, refuses to get old and can really play and sing as well as the young guys, but time isn't on his side at his age. I'd like to see him in concert again if he comes to my area. He did say "Until next time.." at the end of the concert, so I'm hoping. This is the second time I've seen him at this same arena. In fact, I'll be sure to keep seeing him in concert until he just stops touring.

Something else very cool- Roger Waters of Pink Floyd played the very next night at the same arena, last Tuesday. It was really a kick-a$$ week for Amalie Arena in Tampa. Was so happy to be part of it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    kevinpaul likes this.
  4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I'm glad you had a good time :thumb: I saw him in 2012 and it was one of the highlights from my life

When I saw him, I saw flares or something going up and ricochet off of the roof of the stadium. I didn't think much at the time, I figured they knew what they were doing. I heard later that he had to pay for damage to the ceiling. Probably won't be seeing him back in Vancouver anytime soon!

5. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

I'm telling you, when the pyrotechnics went off during "Live and Let Die", I thought the arena was going to burn down, or at least set the roof on fire. I think Paul needs to cool it with the on-stage explosions, ha ha. He really gets carried away with that stuff.

kevinpaul likes this.
  6. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

He is the best imho!!

7. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

Touring now is probably a bit cushier than it was 50 years ago, but still damned hard work. It's great to see that he can keep going. A lot of people just don't have the energy to keep up the grind at that age. Or at my age, for that matter.

It will be a sad day when he decides that he can't do it any more.

HearHear likes this.
  8. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

I just can't bear to think about the day he decides to stop touring. That will truly be "the day the music died" for me and many of his other fans. But last Monday he said "Until next time..", so I'm hoping he comes to Tampa again.

9. nashvillebill

nashvillebill Junior Member

I saw Sir Paul a few years ago in Nashville, and it was almost overwhelming. I was not prepared for my reaction, but he opened the show with "All My Loving" and when he kicked off "close your eyes and I'll kiss you..." I actually teared up. I guess since seeing him on Ed Sullivan a couple of weeks before my 7th birthday, I still didnt' realize what a huge part of my life he had been. He is the consumate musician/songwriter/singer/entertainer. If you haven't seen him- don't miss the chance if it comes around.

meatball, fleahead and BanditPanda like this.
  10. bugo

bugo Junior Member

I saw him in Tulsa in 2013. A night I will never forget. He truly has the energy of a 30 year old. His band is excellent and his voice still sounds great. He was in Oklahoma City a couple of nights ago and I really wanted to go but I wasn't able to make it. Maybe there will be a next time.

HearHear likes this.
  11. freak

freak Senior Member

I think he is coming to my area in September. may have to think about that.

12. freak

freak Senior Member

$200 for center nose bleeds. its a lot......but maybe. :hmm:

kevinpaul likes this.
  13. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

See him, you won't regret it! True, McCartney tickets ain't cheap, but a Beatle is performing for you. For hours. And he rocks! My tickets cost $471.00 each, and I almost needed binoculars to see him. That ticket price got me what Ticketmaster called the "Silver Hot Seat Package". Not sure why they called it that, I got a seat, no other perks at the concert. However, they're mailing me some souvenir laminate or something that should arrive Friday that will remind me what an awesome concert it was. Not sure of what I'm getting sent to me, but I'll post pics of what they send.

freak and kevinpaul like this.
  14. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

He is on tour more than the Greatful Dead did before they died. Well in to his 70s and gets it done each day. I just slipped into my 60s and can barely pull off one night a week.
    Any one want to talk bowel movements. I got some stories that will kill you as like the time I went to each table told a couple jokes a little laugh and some seltzer down your pants.

HearHear and KP11520 like this.
  15. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Paul and I have the same birthday, except he's 18 years older than me. So I'm corrupted with the favorite Beatle thing. My wife has the same birthday as John Lennon. That explains a lot. LOL

Paul's somebody I'd love to see, but I can't afford lame seats for hundreds of dollars (X 2) here in NYC at MSG.

Rock on (and on and on) Sir Paul!

HearHear likes this.
  16. freak

freak Senior Member

the place in Newark is MUCH cheaper. thats where i'll go.

17. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Ok, just received my delivery. If you get the Ticketmaster "Silver Hot Seat Package", this is the stuff they mail you after the concert (you get one set of souvenirs per ticket, so that's why you see two sets in the pic- I bought two tickets). You can see my cat's paws as well, curious as ever. Items include a thin-walled but insulated (silver-lined) zipper tote bag, good for big lunches or cold items. A Paul McCartney guitar clock made from light styrofoam (was pleasantly surprised to see that these clocks were made in USA). A laminated VIP ticket with your city name printed on it, a fake backstage pass on a lanyard, and a large blue/black Paul McCartney beach towel. I think the coolest thing is the beach towel.

Paul Stuff.JPG

Sparky6string and freak like this.
  18. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

My gf and I saw him in Sacramento a few months ago and it was everything one could hope for- simply amazing! I'm not certain I've ever been happier. Damn he really still has it and I'm serious on that point- excellent band backing him up too. It's remarkable how much sound can come from such a limited band these days. It was one of those experiences that you relive over and over for a few days, and what helped a great deal in that area was the fact that there are so many Youtube vids from this tour and other recent ones- it's like watching the gig all over again!

When Paul played Candlestick Park a few years back I thought that was the last chance I'd ever get to see him live but we are all lucky that Paul is still out there doing this because we know he doesn't need to. He plays for so long and clearly enjoys it- now I'm actually hoping to perhaps see him again!

HearHear likes this.
  19. meatball

meatball Senior Member

I saw Paul in 1995 in Columbia SC at Williams Brice Stadium. I had a great connection and got seventh row center right up front of the stage . Linda McCartney was on Keyboards then. . He opened up with Drive My Car . He was in a cherry picker Basket at one point during the show and came right over me . I drop of sweat from him landed on me and I was instantly talented !!! I think it was sweat , it might have been a loogie he dropped on me ...

HearHear likes this.
  20. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

What a coincidence!! I think you mean 1993, for his "New World Tour"? (His wife Linda was diagnosed with cancer in 1995). Now here's the spooky part- I was at that concert in Columbia as well at the Williams Brice (USC Gamecocks) Stadium, I kid you not! I can scan in my concert t-shirt and tour book for proof, still have them. I never wore that shirt! What a cool coincidence!

I remember before that concert, they played anti-meat consumption videos on a big screen to gross everyone out from eating meat. Linda was really into being a vegetarian and spreading her beliefs. I also remember Paul running across the stage with a big South Carolina flag at one point. Also, I remember Linda playing the cha-cha shaker things as well. She really, to me at least, did not look happy. I was waiting for her to smile more- but she didn't. Maybe at that point she wasn't feeling well? She died just 5 years later.

Anyway, a great and memorable concert by Paul back in '93! I remember he opened with Drive My Car, Beep Beep, Beep Beep, yeah! My seats sucked compared to yours. But it was great to be a part of it and see Linda in person before she passed.

meatball likes this.