Saul Goode SAF series

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mux164, Oct 17, 2016.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Nice looking guitar, mux!

(Goes well with your kitchen motif, lol)

:cheers2:

mux164 likes this.
  2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Thanks Randy, was a nervous photo, didn't think it would stand up.

That bloody kitchen, had to put new gingers on a few diora so I had to use the router to trim the edges up so they fit good now. That took longer than it should.

So did mowing the lawn and finally setting up this guitar.

The next couple won't be as thick. Unless I do karri front and backs. Now that u am getting a sled made up I should be able to carve the tops and backs without worry about my router tipping into it.

Actually thinking about getting a trim router to do small jobs like roundovers, or I could just do it at the men's shed where they have the router table just set up for round overs

3. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Righto it's all setup, really stoked with it, despite the mistakes, I mean charms. I also realised that you can intonate the roller bridge, I only figured it out tonight.

So tomorrow I will make sure the white one is intonated, even if it means reversing the saddles or it might just need the grub screws moving back/forward.

One happy chappy

4. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7612.JPG Family portrait

rabidhamster and charisjapan like this.
  5. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7615.JPG Glued the back onto the smaller body guitar, just used the top to help distribute the weight. This one will have a stop tail piece and humbuckers.

Also glued up a pine top, for some reason I was moving away from pine. I got thinking over the weekend that I was getting further away from my original plan. So pine is back, not for all of them, if I put some bigsbys on I will use a hardwood top

Also I slotted 2 blackbutt fretboards. And I have yet to go through all the timber that's on the floor

rabidhamster likes this.
  6. charisjapan

Hey mux,

Tell me more about blackbutt! I read the timber.net.au blurb, but all I really get is that it's eucalyptus hardwood ... which just says koala bears to me. :cheers2:

rabidhamster likes this.
  7. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

I don't no know squat about it, apart from it's pretty darn hard, it's used for flooring and deck and so forth.

If it's a eucalyptus it must be related to the karri(pinkish wood in the picture). The blackbutt is the lighter wood.

I'm not sure where it's from, whether it's an Aussie wood, don't know haven't bothered to look it up lol IMG_7599.JPG

8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

9. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7617.JPG Thinking off doing a hybrid with the smaller body SAF, I just received a 6 saddle Tele bridge. I have a maple neck that I could put in there, well I am thinking of using the neck.

I have to level the top anyway, maybe I could do the maple neck with the body, and humbuckers. And save the Tele bridge for a Tele

Here is the other pine top and gluing the top to the body for a Tele or strat or jazzmaster

I still need to spray the gold for my first guitar and get cracking on the explorer but I'm going to try to do a fair bit in the next two weeks

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7626.JPG Got the top glued onto number 4, will cut the neck pocket tomorrow and hopefully start carving the top before the weekend.

I will be modifying a strat neck, well reshaping the headstock.

11. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7639.JPG IMG_7640.JPG IMG_7642.JPG IMG_7644.JPG IMG_7630.JPG OH yeah typical, didn't think rostering out the control holes to fit the pots and so in would hur, guess again.

I thought the first repair would be good but as soon as I carved deeper I found out one of them had to go. I will be buying a hole saw set this afternoon to cut and plug this hole. Luckily I have some more karri that's pretty similar, now it's til to fill and plug.

I also got the bridge and tail piece situated, as well as the pups(which I need to clean up the routes.

Sanded to 80 at the moment will work up through the grits to steel wool then do the burst and cl at coat it, glue the neck in and so on

12. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7654.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_7655.JPG IMG_7656.JPG a busy morning, I cut up my frame for my router sled, I cleaned up my mess in my shed and on my work bench and I changed the belt and disc on my belt sander.

Also found out that the plug I glued in yesterday is lighter than the rest of the body but the burst will take care of that, I wet them down with naphtha....

tomorrow will be cracking on the Tele and Jem bodies and sanding the top till it is really flat

jkes01 likes this.
  13. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Busy day today, got a neck blank and fingerboard blank glued up,

Working on number 4 just about ready to spray the burst, just need to remove a bit more material inside where the switch goes. I also got the neck glued in. Which may hinder working on the internal but should be easy enough

I also got the top done up on a jem style build and the top and body glued on for a pinecaster. IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7667.JPG IMG_7668.JPG

14. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Got just about everything ready for paint, even got the burst going, just need to tinker around with the control cavity cover the. I'll burst the back too, I think it needs a bit more around the bottom left

Also got some tops and bodies rough cut IMG_7680.JPG IMG_7681.JPG IMG_7682.JPG IMG_7683.JPG

15. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7733.JPG Had numerous setbacks and stuff ups, short story I was about to hack this guitar up just to get the neck out, now I have decided to let it be shabby, in the future I may decide to get it looking pretty.

But I know all the mistakes and flaws so why not just let them be

16. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Worked on some chambered bodies today, also fretted a neck but no photos of that, will take more pictures tomorrow. Made some templates as well all in all a busy day.

Anyone have a good but real cheap for vinyl decals? The guy I was getting them from put the price up nearly 100%, and have to order bulk now IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG

17. charisjapan

My friend, at the rate you crank out guitars, you will NEED to buy your decals in bulk!

Love the lightning bolt holes. :yesway:

Cheers!

18. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7778.JPG IMG_7779.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7783.JPG Thank Randy, hopefully get to work on the two new ones, but in the meantime I finished number 4.

19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7805.JPG Got to work in this one this weekend, flush trimmed the body to the top then shaped it on the disc sander. Cut the neck pocket and situated the bridge.

Next I will cut the pup cavities and drill for the wires then glue the back on to try to minimise dust getting in the body. Then it's sanding and then glue the neck in.

The neck pocket template slipped on the bass side so I'm going to have to figure something out.

20. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7808.JPG IMG_7809.JPG IMG_7810.JPG IMG_7811.JPG Bit more shaping to go, gotta flush in the cavity cover and do a round over, was thinking of going big, I have a 1&5/8 inch round over that I used to do on necks and I'll do a smaller one the back.

The neck template slip wasn't a big one, hopefully glue and dust will do the trick