Santana's Woodstock Special?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by fernieite, May 26, 2011.

1. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Are you asking because you want an SG like his? if so, you could get one of these 60s Tribute models, its fairly close in most ways, and not a bad price
    [​IMG]
    I have a Classic myself, it definitely has a Santana vibe, and the bound fretboard is a nice touch, but they dont have the small pickguard unfortunately

2. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Just curious. I like understanding how things work, I guess.
    The Tribute looks cool. When I'm ready to get a Special, I'll probably get a vintage one. Are the thin necked 61-63 models about the same thickness a the '61 standard reissues? I like the shape of those necks....

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

fair enough :thumb: For such an iconic guitar, there isnt that much info out there about it, I hope 27sauce can find that article, and I may have to look for that comic too (I'm a big Santana fan)

4. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I've got a '62, and the neck is not really like the new ones. The new ones have sharp angles to them, or shoulders. Mine is very wide and very flat, with a smoother D shape to the back. [​IMG]

5. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Sweet, Marc

6. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Hmmm... yes please! :shock:

7. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Beautiful guitar Marc. Do you have any pictures of the back of it? I'd like to see which heel yours has, the smooth 61 style heel or the stepped 62 heel.

I've seen both on 62 Standards and Specials. I have a player/project 60/61 Standard with the smooth heel and a 62 Ebony Block with the stepped heel. My 61 has the wide flat profile you mention. My 62 is wide but has a slightly fatter/rounder profile.

Heres the heel on my 60/61
    [​IMG]

Here is the heel on my 62
    [​IMG]

8. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

From measurements made and tabbed by River on a wide variety of Gibson necks, my '61 has the thinnest neck of all of them. I went for a TonePros II wrap around bridge instead of a TOM (I first replaced the original bridge with a Badass, then switched to the TP). Besides the tuners changed, I also routed out the bridge pickup to fit a humbucker back in the '80's. I have a Rio Grande BBQ HB in there now, and am quite happy with the combo.

[​IMG]

Benjammin likes this.
  9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

you guys are killing my with your vintage SGs :laugh2:

10. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Yeah, me too! One day I'd like to get a vintage Sg Special (61 - 65) (Probably the earlier. I like thinnish (a word?) necks)

Another question: What are the pros and cons or preferences for the various bridges or vibrato arms that were available on the early SG Specials?
    There were originally bridges that were like the late 50's Specials and Juniors, I believe, and then they changed to lightning bars. The vibrato assemblies changed too, didn't they? A guy could get a none vibrato and simply wrap around as well. Any opinions?

Thanks for all the responses to this post btw. :thumb:

11. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Mine has the typical, stepped '62 heel. Sorry for responding so late, i just now saw your post.

12. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Sweeeeet!

I love these Specials, had one back around '68, wish I had kept it.

13. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

My "61 has a very thin neck...(shallow), and the smooth neck joint. I always wondered when they changed to the stepped heel. Thanks for the info.

14. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Any of you guys have a preference between a wrap around bridge and a Vibrola equipped Special?

15. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I go back and forth with it. When it comes down to it, the wrap sounds better, fuller, more sustain... Thats how I have it set up now.

I was doing a roots/rockabilly type gig for a couple of years and my SG was my rockabilly guitar, weird I know, through my '62 Princeton and a DD-3. The Vibrola is really cool, a little stiffer than a Bigsby. So when ever I want that vibe, I string up through the vibrola.

16. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

From what I read he said the thing wouldn't stay in tune and the band wouldn't let him spend the money on a replacement. He destroyed it so they would haft to let him get a new guitar.

Benjammin likes this.
  17. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Thanks Marc.

18. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Nice looking 61! Why did you change out the original bridge?

19. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Thanks, not as pretty as the cherry's in mint condition, but its been a great player.

Intonation.

.... and added plus is that when I moved to the TPII, I noticed a positive change in sound.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member