Santana's Woodstock Special?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by fernieite, May 26, 2011.

1. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Hi all. can anyone tell me anything about Santana's Special? What year was it ?Was it moddified? Etc...
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I don't know much about what year it is, or what else was done to it, but that tremolo unit behind the tailpeice isnt original (even though if you look close, the strings arent attached to the tremolo, and they are top wrapped :cool:)
    [​IMG]
    The same, or similar, unit appears on his LP Special (circa the recording of the first album)
    [​IMG]
    One also appears on his black SG
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJPr7I3GbE]YouTube - ‪Santana - Black Magic Woman - Gypsy Queen - Tanglewood - 1970/08/18‬‏[/ame]

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

also the tuners appear to be Grovers, which would me they aren't original

4. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

Thanks a lot! In the Woodstock picture it looks like it had a TOM and stoptail. Was that ever stock on a Special? Looks cool....

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Thats one thing of the questions I have too, I havent seen many other (if any) Specials from that era (small pickguard suggests pre-'68, if I'm not mistaken) that have the the TOM/stop bar. That may have been a custom job. Santana was a fan of getting his guitars modified, his black SG has the finish removed off the back of the neck, and the LP he moved on to from the SGs was a Deluxe that was converted to full-size humbuckers
    [​IMG]

6. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Looks like a 61 or 62 SG Special with grovers and a TOM. I haven't seen one Special from back then that had an original TOM, they were wrap arounds from the factory. The original tuners sucked on those as well, mine were changed to green tulips way back when, and the bridge changed as well. Great guitars.

7. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Actually, small guard means 65 or before for the most part. But actually, if you REALLY want to get specific a small number of early 66's had the small guard as well. That means his could be anything from a 61 to an early 66.

No SG Special from the 60's had a ABR-1 TOM. Any that you see have been modified as that only came on the Standard and Custom.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Right, its been modified, the TOM is chrome, and the TP is in a funky spot, so is the Maestro. Strange about the Maestro, because, yeah, they aren't original on either of his guitars, but he didn't use them. Coincidence that they are present on 2 of his guitars, or did he like them?

9. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Maybe he put them on to add weight and counter neck dive? Who knows. Seems like he was kind of a wierd dude IMO. I read somewhere he told Mike Bloomfield that someday he was gonna cut him. WTF is up with that? LOL

10. zontar

zontar Senior Member

Hmm, when's the $20,000+ Gibson recreation of this?

(Yeah I know he's with PRS now)

11. banditguitarist1

banditguitarist1 Senior Member

Be careful of Santana he may be in league with the devil:laugh2::laugh2:
    Good Fight Ministries - Carlos Santana

Seriously though I love his SG and his woodstock tone was amazing, I cant believe he gave that performance on so much LSD but hey it was the 60's :p

Harpozep likes this.
  12. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

3 :cool:

13. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the black one IS the red one.

14. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

based on...?

15. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I'll have to find the issue, but an old VG mag article, had him saying that the Woodstock guitar broke, it was then painted black, then it was converted to humbuckers and TOM/Stop bar, and full size HB's, then it was painted white.

Its an older issue from the '90's, Ill look for it tonight, hopefully.

16. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

if you could, that would be great, Ive never heard that about the red (or black) SG before. Though it was clearly converted to a TOM/stopbar while still in its red incarnation

black w/ humbuckers
    [​IMG]

17. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Yeah, it was obviously converted at Woodstock, but when it went black/humbuckers/ it lost the Maestro.

Its nearly impossible to prove from pictures, sometimes the black one looks like it has a narrow, post '64, nut width, which the Woodstock SG didnt. I cant determine for sure, it looks weird to me sometimes. In the interview they asked him about his SG's in general, and he replied that it was all the same guitar. I hope I can find it.

18. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

In the video, the black had the vibrato on it, which is why is seems weird he would refinish the guitar, and put the vibrato back on, when he apparently wasn't using previously. Though its not the best pic, there doesnt appear to be any holes from the vibrato on the picture with the humbuckers. Not that I could question Carlos' memory, he also gave a recent interview where he said he recorded all of Abraxas on his 68 LP Custom, though to me, it sounds very much like an SG with p90s

19. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Published in the Mid Nineties, this Carlos Santana Comic Book/Magazine has a lot of answers. It has several pages devoted to Carlos' guitars.
    [​IMG]

Benjammin likes this.
  20. fernieite

fernieite Senior Member

How would this type of conversion be done?
    - Are there ABR-1 conversion posts that thread into a wrap around bridge's studs? ( I guess the original studs could be removed and the holes plugged and drilled )
    - Then, I guess one would drill for and install stoptail studs? ( Could the stock studs be used? )
    Of course, nowadays this wouldn't be recommended for a vintage guitar.