Salesmanship

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by Rocco Crocco, Mar 5, 2018.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I think you and I have had this conversation before. Again, I get it, but let's face it, if 7.5 lbs. is your mark, you would not even consider 99.9% of unchambered L.P.'s anyway. So again, a non-issue. I'm not kidding when I say I have had probably a dozen people that just HAVE to know the weight of various L.P.'s I've had up. I've told them no problem. If it's a done deal except for the weight, I'll go do it for you. What's your cutoff point? Of the dozen, only ONE person responded back. The rest dropped off of the face of the earth. The one that responded flat out said that he wasn't going to necessarily pull the trigger, but wanted to know. YMMV, but that's been my experience. I'm too busy for trivia questions.

Hogie34, JeffH66 and Olds442 like this.
  2. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i had an edwards that was 7.3 lbs. they're out there, and i'm probably good up to 8.25 lbs. i had a 8.25 lb R0 that i probably shouldn't have sold either. (black top sam ash version so secksy)

i can understand the aggravation with tire kickers, absolutely. i only ask a seller a question if i'm serious about buying.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Weight is important to me too, but not an ounce or two. Bathroom scales are fine in my book. I just don’t get along with the heavy 9’s. It’s not a matter of respecting the piece or not. They just don’t work for me.

4. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

I try to give an accurate description, post plenty of pics in my add and always offer a discount to members of the 2 guitar boards I post on. I don't really see the issue with a link to the reverb sale, as long as it doesn't violate forum rules. Some people prefer to complete transactions on Reverb vs. a forum sale using only PayPal, or maybe even cashiers check/money order.

Also, I always build potential feels into my sale price. I might be comfortable buying something for $100 and paying "friends and family" through PayPal, but not when buying a $1500-$10K guitar. I'd like to have PayPal protection. I seriously doubt having a problem here or at my other forum, but it would be my luck to have an issue on that .01% transaction.

5. PontiacKendall

PontiacKendall Senior Member

The weight of a guitar isn't going to be a deal breaker for me but I can understand why some folks want/need to know. I've got a buddy that was recently in a car wreck and had a neck injury. He's mostly healed from the injury but he can't play a Les Paul for 10-15 minutes before having to put it down. As a result he's playing mostly thin slab or hollow bodies right now. If he could find a nice chambered Les Paul at 7lbs he'd be all over it. I also get what FreeBird says regarding the tire kickers and the endless pursuit for minuscule details. Most of the folks that I've dealt with here have been great but there are a couple that I can always count on to ask for details and then disappear off the radar.

For what it's worth I've got an inexpensive postal scale that I use for other purposes that works great for weighing guitars. It takes batteries so I can take it anywhere without having to plug it in. Amazon has a 50lb postal scale right now for $16 + shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMHWZ42/?tag=mylespaul04-20

6. splatter

splatter Senior Member

I agree , I hate having to click a link to another site

7. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

8. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Here's another sales tip for this site. I hesitate to put it out there, because I felt it is my little secret. Of course, if others are doing it, I wouldn't notice.

Delete your bumps. We can delete posts in this forum.

Advert with 20 bumps looks sad. Instead, make bump post, immediately delete previous bump post.

Here's an example of one I sold. I probably bumped it 20 times. This is what it looked like in the end:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2009-les-paul-goldtop-piezo-one-of-250-made-factory-pickups.397075/

Please don't misuse this nugget of forum wisdom.

kuhboom, 2manyGuitars, judson and 5 others like this.
  9. mcgeorge

mcgeorge Senior Member

That is great advice.

10. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Thank you for solving that for me!

I keep seeing threads get bumped but didn't see more posts appear and was sure I was going insane as we don't have a 'bump thread' button like other forums o_O

Who likes this.
  11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

How do you figure? Depends on said parts imho. If I put Throbaks and a Pigtail bridge, upgrade the harness, etc... your damn straight it's a upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Who, Crotch and Stinky Kitty like this.
  12. rockinlespaul

You just had to post that Blockhead didn't you Malcolm? LOL

13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Ya sneaky basdtid!:laugh2:

JK that's a great idea.

Who likes this.
  14. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

"Upgrades" are kind of like the HM thing. Pickups are very subjective. I had a pair of Throbaks and wanted to throw them back to where they came from. LOL. I'd rather have the stock one's if I am buying. The upgrades are strictly opinion, and the problem lies when people want to charge more $ for their perceived "upgrade". I have made offers to sellers on this site to take their "upgraded" pickups out, ship it to me with no pickups, and discount the price. It's amazing how all of a sudden, those "upgraded" pickups ( or whatever parts and pieces in question) are worth nothing or very little when it comes to a price discount with the guitar in question. You want to get $300 more because you have "upgraded" the pickups, and don't have the originals, but yet, you won't discount the price by that same $300 and keep your valuable pickups. LOL.

If I change parts or pieces on my guitars, I realize they are MY upgrades, and mean little to anyone else. I don't expect to recover ANY money out of them whatsoever if selling.

Slick64, Hogie34, Caleb and 4 others like this.
  15. zoso623

zoso623 Senior Member

now your mixing oranges with apples ..Most people here know what im talking about ..BUT a stock les paul is probably easier to sell even if you put throbaks in ... i know it happened to me .

Caleb and freebyrd 69 like this.
  16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

It's only an upgrade if you put the exact pickups in that I would be installing.

The best move IMO is to remove the aftermarket parts before selling the guitar. Keep them for the next axe or sell 'em separately.

17. rockinlespaul

Oh I agree with all of that, I'm just saying they are legit upgrades. Nobody said anything about values of said upgrades.

18. mcgeorge

mcgeorge Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    rockinlespaul likes this.
  19. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

So people are too lazy to click on an ad from someone who is too lazy?

Sounds like the internet to me.

Who and Left Paw like this.
  20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

It's not laziness. As explained before, it can be a trust issue. If a seller isn't motivated and detail oriented enough to craft a decent ad, then I will not expect them to pack, insure, and ship the item.

By all means, click away pal..

rockinlespaul and Who like this.