S-Gear 2.7 sale- That's it for now

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by KenG, Jun 23, 2017.

1. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Following a lead from another forum, I just purchased S-Gear 2.7 @30% off! It's for a limited time and in my opinion is one of the best PC Based modelling SW packages going & waiting would've meant paying over $45 CAD more for the same thing after the sale. I've used the 2.5 Trial version and this basically adds 4 extra Cabs in the convolutor.
    I was getting hyped about buying a Helix LT because the Helix impresses me so much, but we have a major expense coming end Aug to visit my Mom halfway across Canada in Ontario for her 75th and that trip is likely to set us back >3K.
    Another factor is the dammed Kemper videos/demos out there. It's huge expense here ($2600 CAD) but that thing sounds the best of the three IMO providing you have good profiles to choose from (& there are ones out there), so what's making me wait longer besides $$ is deciding whether or not I need the added feature set of the Helix (where it shines) over the more accurate modelling ( OK "profiling") of the Kemper and can live with the manual operation and more limited feature set. Since I don't gig out many of the LT's advantages over the Kemper don't seem as significant in my case so I'm going to wait longer still to take the plunge.
    In the meantime S-Gear will give me the tonal options my AV15 can't and will hopefully keep me satisfied till that time. It may even get me so use to that method of modelling that the Helix moves back to the top of my List! I wish the CAD would come back to parity, the last 1-1\2 years have resulted in the equivalent of >30% decrease in buying power for foreign stuff.

ttbit and frankv like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sometimes you gots to do, what you gots to do. No worries.

3. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I love S-Gear! I have Amplitube 4 and Bias Desktop, but always come back too S-Gear. It's much simpler and more limited than the others, but the tones you get are so solid and more importantly, feel right.

Haven't tried the any of the hardware modelers like Axe-Fx, Helix or Kemper, but am more than content with s-Gear.

4. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

Huge fan over here. One of the challenging things (at least IME) is getting anything to get a sound I like, but not with S-Gear. I wonder what Mike has under his sleeve for v. 3.0.

5. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I thought it was great when I tried it.

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Just spent the some time on it today. Rather than use presets I thought it would be more interesting to start from scratch. To do that you need a blank user preset then you can pick an Amp and go from there. The pro-convolver has some good Cabs and 3 red-wire IRs to choose from and it is the biggest factor in how realistic your guitar sounds. I'm still learning how to adjust the levels though. Besides the usual audio interface trim adjustment, S-Gear IO panel has an input and output level adjustment &the pro-convolver has right and left output levels as well.
    It sounds pretty nice on my BX5a powered studio monitors but I haven't tested it yet with Ableton Live or recorded anything yet.