Rumor is BIG Price increase for Gibson in 2015?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by bugman, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

...IF...and it's a big IF they can be in the neighborhood of Frank's guitar...they will all be sold, go up or hold their value and the run will be a success.

Heck, the run may be a success, regardless but the tops could really really drive this True line in my humble opinion.

As far as the CS 50's style....just all depends on the price. Given that the USA Standard is priced well into the 3K range....there is just no way that CS 50's guitar is going to be priced reasonably to make it a good buy ymmv.

2. patentcad

patentcad Senior Member

The wrong headedness of this approach by Gibson is hard to overstate. That's astonishing. I can't ever recall the maker of another high end specialty product virtually DOUBLING the price of its product over a four year period, particularly in a moribund economy. And I'd say most Americans perceive the economy and their prospects as muted at best. Almost everybody i know, even the upper middle class in the $100K-$400K+ household income range, is making less money than they were 7-8 years ago. I'd guess those are the households who buy these Custom Shop Gibson guitars.

I'm a capitalist just like the next guy, but this really is like pissing on your best customers. That's my take. I don't get it now, I'll never get it, and if I were Gibson I'd never do it. They may add some cachet to the brand, but at what cost?

3 people like this.
  3. spindrift

spindrift Senior Member

They must believe their own hype- THESE will be the best looking, best sounding most authentic Les paul Historics ever.
    NO one can honestly believe that- unless you make yourself believe that after dropping that kind of dough on one. I see that happen all the time.
    I have seen many many terrific Historics from the past 10 years plus..all just as good as the other for one reason or another. I DO think the the '13-14s are the top of Gibson's game but these do not lessen the guitars from years before that!

1 person likes this.
  4. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Thats exactly it, I don't know if you have been following posts, but I already had my "forum breakdown rant"

Pissing on us is exactly how I see it.

I belong to another hobby group, (Astronomy) and the optical gadgets that are "needed" are just as costly sometimes. But even if the field of Research Grade Optics and above that level, I have never seen a price increase that greedy....

There are price increases, even a detailed explanation from manufactures as to why and how and "please keep us in mind...we dont hate you" messages.

Not Gibson, Nope....just a fine Fvk ?you....and roll over because I'm doing it again and no reach around......

I'm not contributing to their delinquency anymore...

And neither should anyone else.

I'm seriously thinking of writing a letter to Henry....

Dont get me started on that....

2 people like this.
  5. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

so the rumor is the 300 US R9s will be $7100 with some slightly upgraded specs.

Another rumor is that any guitar ordered before April 1 will have 2014 specs and prices. And that dealers are placing large orders of these 2015 "2014" Historics.

Maybe Henry ain't so dumb after all.

1 person likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Vic, it's cool. Someone has to pay for the Jet, the Armani Suit & the Wage bill (not that I have any issues about making $$$). :laugh2: :)

At least when you buy high end glass / optics you are buying something REAL.

Frankly, I can't wait to see the new 2016 range. I mean, the thought of just getting an inch closer to Nirvana is enough to make me..............:laugh2:

Where is that pic that Mark always posts when he gets excited? :D

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  7. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

You're right, he's not dumb at all.....he's creating future business with this '15 initiative.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sct13

yep...I posted that earlier today....Its a feeding frenzy that he created....

go get'em boys!

1 person likes this.
  9. tspoon5150

tspoon5150 Senior Member

Maybe Gibson is trying to make up for the two raids they had awhile
    back and Henry is trying to grudge f::k the customer for revenge
    revenue.

They might as well move to the DC. area as they would fit in
    with the rest of the bail out jerks.

10. patentcad

patentcad Senior Member

What's hard to fathom is that if you do the math, it would appear they make more money NOW under the existing price structure and volume than they will with the new pricing scheme. AND they alienate most of their customers AND their dealers. And THAT is why this is so hard to believe. Because it just doesn't make business sense.

At least not to me.

Kills me, love my new Historic, really tempted to buy a CR9 before the price increase, but one thing that sticks in my craw IS the price increase. I want the guitar, and it's kind of a no-brainer if the new product is $2K higher, the one I buy now will most certainly almost make me a small profit it I decide to re-sell it later.

But it does stick in my craw. That may be the biggest reason I haven't pulled the trigger.

11. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Henry Juszkiewicz...

His prices are IN-SANE!!

[​IMG]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6JNGuqXdY[/ame]

:lol:

2 people like this.
  12. Sct13

Good Lord, We had a local Goof like that around here too....

2 people like this.
  13. patentcad

patentcad Senior Member

The NY Metro Area Crazy Eddie store chain didn't end well. And Gibson's new marketing scheme won't end so well either.

What a pointless skull farked soap opera. Good grief all those idiots have to do to earn millions in profits is just make the guitars right and market them in a reasonable fashion. Two basic tasks that seem to be increasingly elusive for them. Thankfully they make some really nice guitars despite all that.

This whole thing is the Mother of All Facepalms.

2 people like this.
  14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

If the Proto is an example of the average that will be offered . Maybe I'm missing something about it being so special :shock:

As Gibson has constantly proved over last few years , less than stellar tops and looks nothing like the original top (for CC models) are fine and dandy .

I doubt , that if the 1st bunch of really nice topped 2015 guitars sell fast , Gibson could stop themselves from producing as many as they can at that New and Improved price . Money talks ......:lol:

1 person likes this.
  15. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

...as I can affirm - I was fresh out of high school and working for them as a CD/Cassette department sales clerk when the chain went under!

16. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

Well anyone can buy a New $10,000 C/S LP....... as long as they don't mind dropping $5 LARGE on the re-sale (if they can find a buyer) that is.

If you want to feed the beast..... go for it ! ......Your Loss will be Henry's Gain :applause:

Has he come out and actually justified why such an increase ? Be interesting to see what happens when he forces the dealers to take their required quantities. Don't think they will be too keen to pay for guitars they know they will struggle to move......not Henry's problem, he calls the tune, dealers pay the piper..... in advance.

17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

3 days gone by.... This Thread needs a bump :lol:

I think your not figuring in, Limited Quantities of each RI year Model that will be made, into you calculation .

Dealers will sell everyone of them ,imo . A New Market may be being structured . Same as the CC ,but Higher End . And those have sold very well . But they are not for everyone . Still , Good enough to push the envelope and see what the market will bare.

Resale of these "True Historics" Might be/trying to be, the Made by Gibson
    New Vintage market . A fast turn over might produce a loss , but if a seller waits ,it might be possible to make $$$ on these .

If the program fails (which I don't think it will) Gibson will have produced another round of Rare and desired guitars . LP's still sell well . Production MFG'ing #'s say it all .

At these proposed prices , It's mostly Collectors who will buy them . Soon we'll have to choose between a New Car ,or a "True Historic" which in 2-3 year will be replaced with a "Real True and Even more Accurate Historic" . It will happen ,because Gibson seems to Need to do it that way . Past incarnations have proved it out .

Buy a good guitar and be happy , Most CS LP's are very good and Imo , that's the bottom line :thumb: Is the Grass really Greener ? ....Over there? Nope:lol:

3 people like this.
  18. spindrift

spindrift Senior Member

Reality really settles in when you think this:
    A new, special, highly desirable 2015 CC model like Donna at $17k..
    OR
    ..a like new, superb condition low mileage Honda Accord from say, 2013 for $17k

Think about that...

4 people like this.
  19. Sct13

I have a 2014, F150.... keep the damn Honda....

:)

20. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I've realized I have a problem when I've caught myself thinking the opposite way. I get a $35K car and can't help thinking... "I could have had a no-issues '56 Les Paul for this much."

4 people like this.