RS Guitarworks [merged]

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by mjarema414, Dec 30, 2007.

1. mjarema414

mjarema414 Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm trying to install this and am having a hard time following this schematic. It says nothing about both pickup grounds and well as the shield from the toggle to the endpin jack. In addition, there are two yellow wires from the toggle that were grounded to the pots of the neck and bridge. It says nothing about these wires as well. I have everything else good to go. DOes anyone have a better diagram or should I just wire it the same way as my stock pots? thanks. MJ

Attached Files:

2. classic

classic Senior Member

Hope it helps ...

Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

BTW - those yellow, red, black, white, green and whatever colors on the wires are so annoying ... that's why I've replaced all wires by the 2 conductor braided shield ones ... :slash:

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Why don't you try my approach? works very well for me....
    [​IMG]

4. wavemagnet

wavemagnet Senior Member

Both pickup grounds are usually soldered to the back of the volume pots. The shield to the jack also needs to be grounded. I just finished rewiring and replacing pickups on my Epi LP. I used the old style shielded wire with the cloth covered center. I spent about a month just studing control cavity and toggle switch pics that I found online. The results were quite nice, gives my low cost box a really nice vintage vibe. The difference in performance is stunning. Maybe I'll post pics if I can find a decent camera.

5. Encinitastubes

Encinitastubes Senior Member

I've posted before that I'm not satisfied with the sound of my R7 and R8 when the volume is anything but 10. I'm a direct into the amp kinda guy, but have dealt with it by using a volume pedal. I would much rather manipulate the volume from the guitar without going straight to mud.

Will the RS kit do the trick? Thanks.

6. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

Yes, They do help. Try the 50's wiring diagram and you should eliminate the problem.
    I have the RS "Vintage" pots and caps in my R9 and the brown truck delivered the "Aged" sets today!....YAAAAAAAAY!
    Here are the aged sets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have Lollar Imperial double white pups and Wolfetone Dr.V's in double whites coming!
    I can't wait for the install!
    Mark

7. LPSol93

LPSol93 Senior Member

What are the pros/cons of this kit and the ones from Dr. Vintage?

8. LPCollector

Whithout BS'ing you, I don't know. I haven't bought one of Wolfe's sets of pots and caps yet so I have no comparison reference. However, this is my 3rd set of RS pots and caps.
    Can anyone else help HER answer this....?
    But in short, these kits help when you roll off/on the volume or tone controls. They actually make a difference for almost every number on the knob. The stock ones are effective for 1-3 then 8-10 only. They'll give you better control without changing the tone when you roll off the volume knobs. Plus, the caps give incredible tone and enhance good pickups.

Have you opened your new guitar yet?
    Mark

9. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I think you'll find a vast improvement no matter what kit you buy. My experience is with RS Guitarworks.

My '04 R9 is a gorgeous guitar, but I rarely played it. It was either ON or OFF with the volume pots. The tone pots seemed to have little or all effect; it sucked.

I called down there, and ended up buying a Vintage kit for my axe. I wired them in, and immediately plugged in.

It literally sounded like a blanket was pulled off of the front of my amp. No kidding--really. The volume pots actually work; you start dialing down, and they clean up. What a concept. It made my guitar brighter, and improved clarity. If it gets too bright I just dial the tone back a tad...again, what a concept. The RS "Superpots" are not just a high-end CTS pot. They were designed by Roy at RS, and have a very specific taper to them. You can't get them anywhere else.

I'm sure other vendors have good stuff as well, but I cannot review them not having tried them. :)

Mt '03 R7 has a kit in it as well. Same with one of my Telecasters. Any guitar I buy will get this kit.

BB

10. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

...sounds like I should yank the centralabs out of my R0's.

11. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Give those Superpots a try. Heck, call down there and ask for Billy--he's the guy that wires their kits up.

Tell him BB told you to call--he'll pop back and pick ya good set. :)

BB

12. LPCollector

:rofl:

Well, not quite that good.
    Oh, wait! Caps are just caps...right :rofl:
    Joking a side, the RS kits are a huge improvement from the fake bumblebee's. But the next step is real bee's or Centralabs.
    Mark

13. les strat

les strat Senior Member

I got it anyway :applause:

14. b-squared

b-squared Banned

The RS guys will be at the Nashville Guitar Show on 9-10 Feb, and they'll actually be installing kits in guitars at the show (for a fee, I'm sure).

Just an FYI.

BB

15. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Do RS pots sound Hi Fi at all like Hovlands have a tendency to sound?

Also, is that 50s wiring in the RS screen shots? Looks different! 50s wiring tends to ad a nasty 4k spike. prefer modern...

16. Maxman

Maxman Member

One of the best kept secrets for Volume pots are HAMERS. Greg at BCR Music sells them for $10 each. Pop 2 in your Les Paul and have your MIND BLOWN!! Greg runs Hamers in ALL his Gibsons, even his Vintage stuff. The key to any great volume pot is the sweep, sweep can be custom tailored to a certain spec. Look at RS's own Greg Martin inspired psychebilly set. RS took Greg Martin's 58 les Paul Volume pots and had them copied. They sell them for $47. You can get the same results with the $20 Hamer pots. The one thing anyone who has played Hamers for any amount of time will tell you is their electronic parts selection is TOP SHELF. The pots are built to THEIR specs. Your original question was about the roll off with the stock Gibson pots. The hamers are so good that I now NEVER play with my volume wide open because the guitar actually has SO many different tones available through the 5-9 postion on the volume. Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

17. b-squared

b-squared Banned

No offense dude, but you're talking mis-information. RS Superpots are NOT copies of Greg Martin's...they had his '58 LP Standard PICKUPS copied, and they are called the Psychebillies. (They sound awesome, BTW)

Their Superpots are Roy's design and custom taper, and they sell for $9.95 each. They work great--I would describe their operation pretty much how you described the "Hamer" pots.

Check it out for yourself:

- RS Guitarworks Online Store

It's cool you like a particular brand of stuff; just be sure of your info if you're going compare stuff to another dealer.

Cheers,

BB

18. Maxman

Maxman Member

No offense taken, but your the one who doesn't have his info correct.

The Tone Quest Report did a 4 page story on RS and Greg's 58 LP. His pickups were examined and Lindy Fralin made exact copies of their output and windings. When the Repro pickups came back, Greg said that they STILL didn't sound the way HIS PAF's did. It should be said that these replics PAF's were installed in one of Gregs Historic Les Pauls already equiped with Super pots. Roy at RS examined the pots in Gregs 58 LP and found they had a very unique sweep/taper to them. RS actually had the originals tested and copied. They ARE NOT the same as the super pots. RS calls them Hillbilly channel switch kit. Basically it's a set of custom tapered pots and jensen pots.. THAT did the trick. If YOU happen to LOOK at RS web site they sell them for $47

Check YOUR facts next time.

I have RS super pots in a few of my guitars, they are a big improvement over the stock Gibson units. The Hamers are even BETTER.

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Guest

Where can someone buy Hamer pots?

20. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Please provide a link to these $47 pots, please.

BTW...the "Hillbilly Switchin' Kit" offered by RS has 4 CTS Audio Taper pots...says NOTHING about copying Gregs '58 pots...c'mon dude...it IS in English... :) The deal is he resoldered his guitar wrong, and it does give it a unique sound...it's not the pots. Call Roy and ask if you have any questions.

OK..if YOU say the Hamers are better, I guess they are...:rolleyes:

BB