Rounding out the collection... looking for EVH theme...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by GibsonKramer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

My guitar room is about filled. I might be able to squeeze a couple more in, or if I start using up floor space... however, I'm about at the point, I don't really want much more. I've got 17 guitars, I play most of them, quite often. I've got 1 or 2 that don't get a lot of play, but they're still keepers and I do enjoy them when I do play them.

I've got 1 LP (a Tribute) that is going to be traded for another '18 Classic.

But, I know I want a RBW striped EVH guitar. I could just have my Kramer repainted, but that's a classic guitar, with the original (flawless) finish. I don't think so.

I remember when the Music Man came out, but I don't remember a striped version, unless it was a custom paint job. I know Charvel made some striped series, though I don't know if that was an officially endorsed model?

Then there was the Peavey, which was basically the Music Man (I think), except they did the 5150 model. I'm highly intrigued by this guitar, btw.

Price up to $4,000-$5,000 isn't really an issue. Problem is, no idea what that is. Though, its not going to be a Fender $25,000 Custom Shop.

And while I'm intrigued by the Charvel... seems it would be a bit redundant with my Kramer. I'd like to know more about the Peavey's to be honest. They worth it? And yes... there's the actual EVH branded guitars... though, I'm going to most likely buy USA before I buy MiM.

I also, don't give a rat's ass, about the D-Tuna. So with, or without.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

With that budget, you have so many options... From getting together a Warmoth part-caster and give it to some luthier to do the paint-job for you, or buying a brand-new Charvel (they rock!) and give it, again, to some luthier to repaint it or commissioning someone to do the whole thing from scratch. A nice headache to have for sure! As far as redundancy goes, with the Charvel, you already have 17 guitars. Don't worry about it! :D

GibsonKramer likes this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

IIRC the striped Charvels were pretty expensive, but if the price isn't an issue, then hey :thumb: I like the EVH striped guitars, I wouldn't be bothered by the MIM construction. If you really want to go crazy, you can get this guys to make any style Van Halen guitar you want http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/

GibsonKramer likes this.
  4. GibsonKramer

$4000 - $5000 would be the upper insane limit. It'd have to be a special guitar. That's in True Historic territory.

I figure closer to the $2500 range, but that still includes a bunch of guitars. Only ones I've played, are the original Music Man, and the new EVH (which I'm not that impressed with).

But it has to be the red, black, white striped. Those Mean Street are nice. Though, might just grab a Charvel at that point.

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

There's only three R-W-B type of guitars worthy of being associated with EVH.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

An early EBMM or Peavey Wolfgang, with a 5150 striped paint job is easily identified as "Van Halen".. it doesn't have the Van Halen same feel.

Which is silly that I have that attitude, since Eddie has been playing that style of guitar longer than anything else, I think.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  7. GibsonKramer

Nothing, other than I haven't felt particularly impressed with any I've picked up. I need to try some more models, though I doubt I'll get a MiM. Unless it's made here...

And why? Because there's plenty of choices that are made in the U.S., and I can be choosy.

Who likes this.
  8. Who

Not that I've handled a bunch of them, but the ones I have played with barely stack up well against a run-of-the-mill MiM Strat.

They aren't a premium guitar (IMO).

GibsonKramer likes this.
  9. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

I just got a Kramer replica made by a builder I found:

[​IMG]

ThirdStone, GibsonKramer and Who like this.
  10. Who

That looks like a pretty detailed build.

GibsonKramer and KS 5150 like this.
  11. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

GibsonKramer and Who like this.
  12. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Nothing wrong with a good Charvel IMO I don't know if it's overkill, does your Kramer have a neck pickup or bridge only?

GibsonKramer and Who like this.
  13. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

IMO, what makes EVH guitars "EVH" is the neck. It isn't just a matter of slapping a Floyd on a Strat style guitar. The neck is the difference between it feeling custom and not just a guitar that looks right.

With that, the Wolfgang carve on Warmoth necks with a slightly narrow nut is quite good and consistent with what I consider to be that EVH feel. I wish they offered rounded neck edges, but otherwise these necks are right there.

After that, put it on the body you want, with the Floyd you prefer as well as the pickup you like.

The JB, the EVH Frankenstrat pickup, and the current Wolfgang pickups work well. I tried the Tone Zone but actually hate that pickup, fwiw.

Good luck

14. GibsonKramer

This is my Kramer. I bought it summer of '85, though it was after they started using the new necks (which is still one of its strong points). It's an awesome guitar, I just want at least one RWB guitar.

[​IMG]

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Nice! I'd love to have one of those original Barrettas.

If you're at all handy and know how to work on guitars, buying parts, spray paint, and doing it yourself is the best way to go, IMO. The hardest thing to find is the right neck with the correct hockey stick headstock. That's where the bulk of your budget might go. If you want the original Frankenstrat Fender headstock, obviously that won't be a problem.

Doing it this way insures that you have a custom guitar that is what you want it to be and not just a standard guitar painted with the stripes.

This photo is is a Frankenstrat that I made from parts. Frank Rocks #2 2.jpg

Good Luck

ThirdStone, GibsonKramer and Who like this.
  16. Meclazine2

Meclazine2 Member

17. Who

Mechlazine, the OP is saying HIS limit is 4-5K. Read the first post, he says he's not looking for one of the $25k Fenders.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  18. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Spending 4-5k isn't even remotely necessary. Especially if you are at all efficient with a spray can and guitar assembly.

The key to making a spray can finish look right is the right combo of: wet/dry sandpaper, rubbing compound, and a little polishing compound.

IMO, the necessary high prices of the custom EVH guitars by private builders is the time that goes into manually making the finish/paint look right. The parts themselves are only around $1k. The rest is all time/labor.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  19. GibsonKramer

I'm strongly considering doing my own.

The only thing, is I would want it exact... I'd want the original. That's a lot of painting, tape, and measuring. I might have to take that to someone, for that process. I'm not that patient.

Assembly isn't any issue. Relic'ing isn't that big an issue (as a must have). Though, it is part of the look.

I do want to at least try an EVH Striped, though I'm afraid Who has already influenced me, in thinking MiM Strat. I've only played the Wolfgangs, and wasn't impressed.

20. Who

I'm not clear on what body style you are after. Are you looking for a Wolfgang style with Franky paint-job? A Wolfgang with 5150 paintjob?

A 5150 or Franky replica?
    Which is funny because the "original" was done in a few minutes time.

And later the body was used as an ashtray.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017