Roland Micro cube or Line 6 Micro Spider?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jon_c, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jon_c

jon_c Senior Member

Hello all:thumb:

I'm after getting a small practice that I can take round to my friends home(s). I've narrowed it to either a Roland Micro Cube or a Line 6 Micro Spider. I'm edging towards the cube as the classic stack model sounds right up my street and the acoustic model sounds pretty good too. I'd appreciate some opinions & feedback on both please:fingersx:
    Cheers

2. tintin

tintin Senior Member

I have the Roland MC (got it for $89 shipped new from an Ebay music store) and love it. I'm headed off for a weekend ski trip tonight and the MC is coming with me for sure. IIRC, one of the Guitar mags did a review face off of the newer, 'upgraded' version of the MC, the Roland Micro Cube RX 5W 4x4vs. the Line 6 MS and the MC won the decision, FWIW. And on Musician's Friend the original MC still gets the best user ratings.

3. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I have both.

(or rather, I had both....)

Get the Microcube. It's got better sounds. :thumb:

4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

micro cube all the way

demo with my microcube
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pniwHj9NPk0]YouTube - SG special and WB pickups[/ame]

5. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i've had 1 of those little micro cubes for a few years.
    nice little package.

6. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

the Micro Cube is an awesome amp, I love mine!

7. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

Cube all the way.

8. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

I think Roland is usually the best when it comes to processed guitar sounds or simulated sounds.I have the Micro cube and its a great little amp.I use it every day.It sets right next to my recliner in my living room.Alot of cool features packed in that little box.
    The other one you mentioned may be nice too,but I know from personal experience that the micro cube is top notch

9. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

That bigsby actually looks like it belongs on the sg.Some reason I was thinking it was going to clash,and be ugly as sin,but it looks real good.

10. jon_c

jon_c Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice and videos:thumb: Cube it is :)

11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

:thumb:

12. frankthomson

frankthomson Senior Member

i have the MC
    i lubbb it.

13. JoeQ

JoeQ Junior Member

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to comment anyway - I have had my Roland Micro Cube for about 3 years now. I absolutely love the sound of it and the features. I have had one frustrating problem with mine that is causing me to look for something else - within a few months of owning it, the speaker blew out. I got a replacement speaker from Roland for $10. This worked fine for quite awhile but again the speaker has blown out. I have read elsewhere online that others have had the same problem and a few clever individuals have modified their Micro Cube to accommodate a beefier and slightly larger replacement speaker. I don't have the skills or time to go that route. I don't know if I got a bum unit or not - I don't play at high volume with it - it's strictly a practice amp for me. I purchased the Vox micro amp (D5?) and was not at all impressed so I returned it. I'm going to try the Line 6 Micro Spider - I've had good luck with other Line 6 products and the features on this amp fit the bill. I'll post my findings so others who stumble across this thread can read my feelings on that.
    Anyone else have a problem with the Micro Cube speaker?