Rocksmith post release thread!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by a Mad Cow, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I love this game.
    I was disappointed because I was not able to set up my amp to get a tone like the one I'd like, looking at a few notes on a tab, then trying to memorize and play them....look again at the tabs...

Rocksmith is the thing that gave me the energy for a new start, I learned the main chords in a week, where as I was always lost before. I think it is a great game for beginner because :

- the tone is the right one for the song
    - you don't have to look constantly at the tabs etc...
    - even if you play only a few notes at first it really sounds like the original song. And that is great, with a tab, you try to play all the notes, it is slow and messy at the beginning, nothing near the original song.
    - step by step, you learn the notes.

One downside however to me :
    - it does not tell you which chord you should play over when they are isolated notes, like in solos etc...

but on the whole, fantastic. I learned more in a week with this game than in 6 months with paper tabs.

2 people like this.
  2. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Just a heads up...

It looks as though the $199 PS3 with 12GB of flash memory may actually be coming to the US after all, on August 18th. Not terribly useful for those who want to install a lot of games (though it's child's play to add a 2.5" SATA drive). But if your main use would only be playing Rocksmith, this would be about $70 cheaper than the currently lowest priced PS3. Oh, and it's a pretty good Blu-ray, Netflix, etc. player.

And, of course, the new PS4 (and XBox 180) will be out for the holiday season for quite a bit more coin, with no backward compatibility.

1 person likes this.
  3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Some more stuff about Rocksmith 2014

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08...ocksmith-2014?abthid=520e4d05aa481a9065000009

And part of the new songs list.

1 person likes this.
  4. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Do we know yet if any of the original RS content or DLC will port over to the new version? The next gen consoles won't have backward compatibility...

5. rcole_sooner

Yes, all the old songs and DLC will be compatible with the new version.

The new songs and DLC will not be compatible with the old version of Rocksmith. There are new techniques the old version does not support.

All the old features are supported in the new version.

RS 2014 is for the current consoles, not the nextgen consoles.

1 person likes this.
  6. o0sanity0o

o0sanity0o Senior Member

I'm really hoping the new one supports/teaches Vibrato. That for me is hugely important for learning.
    as a friend of mine said once 'the sign of a good guitarist is good vibrato techinique' - mine was crap at the time haha

the new songs look decent so far.

1 person likes this.
  7. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

FINALLY WE CAN SELECT A DIFFICULTY

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thTQ6kAv7UI[/ame]

2 people like this.
  8. o0sanity0o

o0sanity0o Senior Member

awwwww yeah!

1 person likes this.
  9. o0sanity0o

o0sanity0o Senior Member

I'll be glad to turn master mode off some songs.
    to be honest in the last one there were songs I just grinded because I had to play them and I wasn't really learning them so when they threw master mode at me I couldn't remember how to play them fully. like the Cure song and Franz Ferdinand and what not

1 person likes this.
  10. M@nChild

M@nChild Senior Member

now that its august of 2013 i imagine there are some decent honest reviews for this game..

What is the honest conscious of this game? Does it really teach you the songs?

Has anyone used this as a form of practice and actually played/ performed the song for real or only can play the songs with the game?

11. rcole_sooner

There are couple of folks on the ubisoft Rocksmith forum who have joined bands. I think at least one of them started playing guitar with Rocksmith.

It is like anything. It is just another tool to be used.

But, yeah, one can learn how to play guitar.

As for remembering songs. Me personally. I could not remember songs before Rocksmith, and I still can't after Rocksmith. My brain just does not hold songs. But I learn them quicker each time.

I do like Rocksmith. It is easy to just turn on and start jamming. No tab and MP3 to sync up. No flipping tab pages. Just easy.

12. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

Rocksmith brought me from a "newb" guitarist to what I like to think of as a "good guitarist"

I'm not crazy shredder but all the songs I like, like the Foo Fighters packs, or some of the easier heavier stuff like Barracuda/Evanessence I'm able to perform 100%.

Now that I've got the songs down easily (I have no problem remembering them off game) my biggest thing is to get it to sound "great" via tone.

Tone is like an entire separate skill Rocksmith won't teach you.

1 person likes this.
  13. splatter

splatter Senior Member

not trying to dog you I'm really curious about your answer .
    can you play anything other than the songs you learned on rocksmith ?
    Do you inderstand scales and when to use them ?
    I guess what I'm really asking is has it taught you to play guitar better or has it taught you to mimmic what you see on guitar better ?
    Seriousely not bashing you man I'm just curious .
    The reason i ask is because I spent years playing cover tunes and was considered to be a good cover musician but I had no real concept of what I was doing .I will admit it was good for muscle memory and helped with technique but I didn't really understand what Iwas doing till I quit playing covers and started working on theory .

14. rcole_sooner

Theory is not a part of Rocksmith ... yet.

I don't think much has been added to the 2014 version either, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe someday.

15. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

after thinking about it I decided to edit this and be more strait forward:

If you can master most rocksmith songs, you're definitely a good guitar player. Like I said, it won't teach you tone and songwriting so expect to have to learn those elsewhere.

16. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

Rocksmith 2014 has "jam mode" which you can select a scale and it will show you the highlighted notes on the fret board for that particular scale.

Seems like it should teach theory just fine to an extent.

1 person likes this.
  17. rcole_sooner

It would be nice to someday be able to select a key, see some chord progression and scale choices, and then jam or have song choices based off the selections.

Or for the key and/or scale mode to be shown during song play.

Just something simple like that.

1 person likes this.
  18. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

There's loads of good info being bandied about in this thread, you guy's really should be emailing them to the company, who knows they may include them in future releases and perhaps throw a few demos/freebies your way! :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  19. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

I just don't think people should take the game too seriously. It's a great way to learn covers and great guitar mechanics.

If you're looking to be a song writer, Rocksmith isn't going to help you.

1 person likes this.
  20. rcole_sooner

Exactly.

It is a game.

It is playing guitar.

2 of my favorite past times in 1.

It is just fun!

1 person likes this.