Robert Fripp's Fernandes

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Whoopysnorp, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

A few weeks ago I saw the current King Crimson lineup on the Chicago stop of their tour. As you might imagine, they turned my head inside out. They played with an unbelievable amount of tightness and power, and I loved every second of it.

From where I was sitting, all I could tell about Fripp's rig was that he had a couple of what I assumed were Les Pauls, him having been a Gibson player from way back. Turns out the one he was playing (and I would assume probably the other one, which must have been a backup) was a custom-made Fernandes. There are some photos in this Reverb feature: https://reverb.com/news/on-stage-with-king-crimson-the-live-rig-of-the-radical-action-tour

PierM and GammyBird like this.
  2. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Very interesting.

Clearly a modern Burny but with the "Hyde" Mockingbird headstock instead of the open book.

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Fripp moved away from Gibson long time ago, not even sure if he still has his original customs. He then moved to custom made guitars working with Ben Crowe, that now has his company named as Crimson Guitars. Now he's using mainly a Fernandes Les Paul, like the one you posted. He's using so much technology on his guitars that the base instrument doesn't matter that much.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017