Robbie Krieger Custom Replica [attempt]

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ajory72, Jul 26, 2017.

1. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Has anyone here tried to do their own take on Robbie Kriegers Les Paul Custom?

Here is a pick of Gibsons Custom shop replica:
    [​IMG]

Here is my take on this guitar - I couldnt afford one, so thought i'd go the next best route and make one, I guess the only real resemblance apart from the sound which reminds me of those Doors recordings - is the cream pick up in the neck position....

Anyway here's my take:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best pictures - but you get the idea.... started out a different guitar, and the top was so plain that it had to be back :)

Ill dig up some old pics of its first incarnation.... [
    [ bump :)]

Here ya go - what it looked like before the black went on and the new neck pup
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maple top is plain as the day is long and the neck and back have some very nice Mahogany flame going on, I made the mistake of using this stain I foudn in the hardware store - that when i sprayed the Nitro on it melded together, I use a whole can over one month and it just kept melting into each other - to the point where the back and neck still feels unpolished

The headstock here looks rather dull, I popped about 3 more coats of Nitro onto it and a year in it looks much btter than this shot... PS took me a week of sawing on my sick bed to get the Riley name carved into what was one piece, until it snapped.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  2. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Niiiiice!!

3. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Guys! These Replicas are very Kool, Robby Krieger is one of the greatest guitar players to ever play rock n' roll, especially in a live situation.

4. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

I love it!!! I love two times!!!
    (my I suggest you) play it twice today

ajory72 likes this.
  5. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Haha . I do.... Though lately its tuned to either DADGAD or Pages DGCGCD the latter so I can play the rain song!.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.