RIP Jim Marshall: 1923-2012 [merged]

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by TheRover09, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

I played my 1972 JMP 50 Lead 1987 for years and one day I opened the Slant speaker cab to look at the speakers, and I almost dropped when I noticed Jim Marshall signed the inside of the cab in Jan of 1972. The bottom has the kid (Builders) name Rob, and Jim's was there in pencil on the side.

This 1972 Model 1987 Lead is an England Build amp and my best sounding 50 watt out of 1/2 dozen. In honor of Jim I show my amp in this thread. Original Mullard tubes, and was the last month for the Red Circuit boards. The Yellow Boards started in Feb of 1972. I put screen grid resistors in the amp. And the greenbacks are the Pulsonic cones 102/3.
    This amp goes to the grave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. kakao

kakao Senior Member

RIP Jim!

3. atop

atop Senior Member

I have owned a 6101 30th Anniversary Combo with matching extension cab since 1994 or so> I was living in Burlington VT at the time, where I saw Johnny A. play many times. He is from Boston, and hadn't made a name for himself yet (he has since been signed to Steve Vai's record label, and has a well deserved a Johnny A. Signature LP.) Some or most of you may be familiar with him and his music, if not check him out! "Sometime Tuesday Morning" is the best album to get acquainted if not. Anyway, Burlington is just under two hours away from Boston, and a college town, so he would come up to Vermont to play at the various bar/club joints in town a few times a month, at least. He played a fairly simple rig starring the 6101. I was well familiar with the "Marshall tone" and crunch I love so much, but I couldn't believe the range of tones he was getting from that combo. Gorgeous ambient cleans to the aggressive higher gain sounds. Together with his awesome chops, it was an unbeatable combination. I was inspired by those performances to someday own a 30th Anniversary, and within a year or so had bought the 1992 EL34 Blue 6101 combo stack. Never looked back, she has been my main squeeze ever since. Ok, that's the background to my Jim Marshall story (didn't think you were reading a book, did ya!) So I've been lusting (not just GAS) for the 6100 head and 4x12 cab ever since I fell in love with my combo. I couldn't afford one for a long time, watching them come and go on ebay on the rare occasion one would come up for sale. I finally located one in excellent + condition AND could afford it (sort of) at the same time. When my pal in the brown truck showed up with it and I checked it out externally for shipping damage etc, I noticed what looked like a scribble in extremely faded gold sharpie on the top of the head. The seller told me at one of the celebration events for the Anniversary, they introduced and displayed the 30th Anniversary line up. My 6100LE head (yes, I held out until I could find the LE) and 4 x 12 Cab were there as part of the line up display. Jim Marshall signed the head during the celebration event. Yes, I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance, but the signature is so faded, it probably won't show up well. When I look with a magnifying glass, no question about it, the Governor and my amp (I just love saying that) were indeed at the same place at the same time that glorious day! RIP indeed, Mr. Marshall.