RI Collectability for new player

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by fab10ab, May 5, 2007.

1. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

Remember..anything that is a CS, VOS or reissue..are just that..copies of originals...if you want to get into the collectors market there are things you can do such as early 70'-73' LP's or 73 to 75' strats. Thes eare the next collectible as the 68 & 69' LP's get out of reac of most of uys and a 69' Strat is $15k and a 70'- 72' strat is already over $10k.

I have a 74' beauty listed on these boards and elsewhere for $6k which a year from now could be a bargain.

Or look to acoustics as early Gibsons pre 64 are affordable and will always go up in value over time and you can really enjoy something like that as well...I have a museum quality sunburst J45 listed around the internet at $4,800 while my 1945 even in beat up played condition is valued at nearly $8k and I bought it for $5k about a year ago...

2. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Is Murphy kind of like a Lloyd Loar figure in the Gibson history?

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Murphy was part of getting the Historics on track

I believe 95 , 99 will be collectable as they were goodwood years , but I am hearing the custom shop has been buying some goodstuff lately :wave:

4. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Yeah, everything associated with the Loar period of Gibson is higher in value, it seems also to me that Murphy has that golden touch for Gibson products in the eyes of collectors.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Damn kenny that was heavy.

Nicely stated.

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Guest

There are many Norlins that are consistantly great. The 68 and early 69 P90 GTs, the 1971 Les Paul 58 (which is like a 54 actually) I know there are many Customs, but not familiar with which ones, I don't follow Customs at all. Then many 80s LPs, some dealer Preissues, and Heritage 80s/Elites, 30th anniversay GT, Standard 82, Spotlight Specials, the first PreHistorics, many many great Norlins, and by the 80s, most of the LPs were on track again. But I think Norlin years got a bad rap for the Volute, the pancake body and 12-15 lb Les Pauls. I had a 74 tobacco Standard Full size Humbucking LP, not a reroute. But it was heavy, had the pancake, and volute, and the QC was NOTHING like the 69 Deluxe I had, or any of the 80s Norlins I have had either. In GENERAL the 70s kinda sucked.