RI Collectability for new player

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by fab10ab, May 5, 2007.

1. fab10ab

fab10ab Junior Member

Hello everyone,

Is there much point to buying the Murphy Aged flame top RI rather than the non-Murphy aged ones? I am asking from a collector and player point of view. Will the Murphy aged ones increase more in value? Is the increase in price worth it? Both seem really nice. Thanks.

2. GuitarDean

GuitarDean Senior Member

Those are opposing viewpoints Fab. The player doesn't give a shit about the collectablity of any given guitar, he (she) just wants to plug it in and get playing. While many players can keep any guitar in good shape, most of the "this is the guitar that I play out with" eventually get tore up some just due to the wear and tear of gigging and jamming. From a collectablity view, the Murphy's (and the RS's, The Dave Johnson's, etc (there's a host now) ) need to be keep as minty as possible, even though they are artifically aged, for their value to increase. A beautifully flamed R8 thats been aged by some outfit that gets a broken headstock, or some deep, unattractive gash from a gig is still a damaged LP, big name or not.

3. Rock Star

Rock Star Premium Member

I guess you could say that from a collector's point of view a Murphy-aged LP will increase in value yes.

By the way welcome to mylespaul.com ! :)

4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

anything Murphy touches increases in value about 2 grand above one he has not & increases by buyers demand .He is a artist with a name. Myself I would rather have a Vintage Restoration job by Magic Johnson anyday because it is real aging & fading no artificial fillings :rofl: :band:

5. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

Murphy's Will always be worth more because it's factory and "Origanal" To the Guitar...
    But Realy Historic's Are NOT going to increas in value to the point of Investments.
    You would have to get "REAL" Vintage ( 50's) to get an Investment.
    Has soon as you walk out the door with a new guitar you loose 500.. In a way if you cach my drift...
    the reason for the Murphys is just.....There Cool that's it.. they fell better because the aged ( Realy Aged ) but there the same Historic's as a Vos..

With all of my Historic's I both Have and Had I NEVER Buy them for investmet ever!!
    I'f your looking to invest in a Guitar get a nice 57 JR .. 10 11 12 Grand
    Save the Historic's for playing

6. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Todd,having a few spelling problems?:(

7. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

hey !!:wtf: That's Todd's Trademark
    :thumb: :slash:

8. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

No Why? I spell Phonetically and have a NYC Accent So Back off :rofl: :rofl:

Once you's new guys get to know me you'll see I am the most creative speller on the net.... :naughty: :applause:

:thumb:

9. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

10. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

:wave: fab10ab~

Welcome here~

11. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

12. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

13. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

IMHO reissues, VOS, Custom shops and Murphy's wil not go up in value as collectibles. You have a better chance of getting a 70' through 73' original LP in excellent shape and keep it that way so you have a player guitar and one that WILL rise in value.

Paying $8k for a Murphy aged guitar which is basically a custom shop guitar or an original 2001 Gibson off the shelf and aged by Murphy I think is a BIG waste of money...

you're better off taking the $8k and getting a used, maybe greening beat up 69' GT...now that will only increase in value over the years...

14. fab10ab

fab10ab Junior Member

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies, it helps a lot. I think buying a 70's LP is probably a better idea, and they look so cool ! If anyone has one for sale in very very good condition let me know !

15. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

I would NOT BUY A Norlin Ever!!! A Historic is a Far better Quality instrument man !!!!!!

If your buying for an investment there are some Vintage thins left that are under 10 grand ..
    But A Norlin Be Careful!!!!!!

16. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

I hope this site is not going to become a Norlin bashing site like the other place...the only diffrence between a 69' and a 70' or 71' is one or two years...come on we all know the early 70's saw some FANTASTIC guitars from Gibson and GREAT music made on these guitars....with awesome tone long before all the pedals in use today were even invented!

For collectiblity the 70-72' guitars are next on the list because if a 69' GT with mini hum's is over $10k then get yourself a 70 or 71' GT or sunburst for $2 to $3k and it IS going to go up on value and is a player's/collecter guitar that allows you to play it and a year or two from now make $$$$ on that same guitar...no doubt about it

BUT LEAVE THE NORLIN BASHING TO SOME OF THE SNOBS ON THE OTHER SITE

17. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

There will always be snob value attached to a 'name' guitar so Murphys will go up in value, no question. Seventies guitars will rise in value because of the vintage perception. I had a '74 custom for some years. I loved it but couldn't live with the weight of it or the hideous volute.
    The main thing is the guitar itself. If it plays and sounds shit it's not ever going to be worth a lot. If it sounds great regardless of looks, providing it hasn't had a neck break it will always atract a good price.

18. fab10ab

fab10ab Junior Member

Wow, this post has sure brought up some heated debate. Thanks to Mike in Australia from Ebay for setting things straight for me. The bottom line is that one should get a reissue with the nicest possible flame pattern -- that seems to be the most important factor.

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Guest

Oh I dunno, there are famous players who care about collectibility. The two Steves-Stills and Howe? Or how about Joe Walsh? They are into collecting as much as playing.

20. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I think that Historic Gibsons are what they are, and bring a predictable amount on the used market, but are NOT going to increase like a vintage piece.

IMHO, things become collectible by their own merits over time, for whatever reason. Whereas, anything that's sold as a collectible, almost guarantees that it will NEVER be.

On the other hand, the "Vintage/Investment Collectible" market in general is a slippery slope, whether we're talking about guitars, coins, stamps, or whatever. If you don't already have all the answers, and/or it's not your life's passion, I would dump my money into a more solid investment vehicle, and buy a guitar that you enjoy playing regardless of its investment potential.

FWIW :naughty: