Rewiring the ‘94. SH-55 or 57 Classics?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Platte City Paul, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

It’s time to break out the soldering iron again. A few years ago, I swapped the 490/498s for an SD Jazz and 59/custom hybrid. I think the jazz went into the neck, but I’d have to look. (Senile).

The SDs are better, but not quite there yet. Right now, I’m down to either SD SH-55s or Gibson 57 classics.

Some folks say they are a wash. Some prefer unpotted SH-55s. Some like the potted 57s.

I’m also ditching the current harness (2 x taps and a phase switch) for a regular old 50s rig with .022uF Emerson caps and CTS 550k pots.

Hoping it works, and I welcome your thoughts.

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Simply put an A3 magnet in the Jazz and an A2 in the '59/Custom Hybrid.

Then things will certainly get interesting!

HTH,

3. Platte City Paul

Well dang. That would be the cheaper option...

4. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Not a lot of information in the OP, but I'll take a stab.
    Your options seem to suggest that you are looking for a pickup with less output.
    More blues or smooth jazz and less Angus Young.

I see lots of debates comparing and arguing over which is better, the 57's or Seths.
    For the Record - I have the 57's. I love them for Soft Rock, MOR, NON Hard Rock/Grunge sounds.
    I have never played with the Seths. But I sure would like to, at least once, just to see for myself.

I am pretty sure that the 57's are more expensive than the SD's.
    Maybe you should be asking your self - - the SH-55's or the Antiquities.

I know. That's not what you asked. But Hmmmmm... :hmm:

Have fun on your quest, and keep us posted. :dude:

Platte City Paul likes this.
  5. Platte City Paul

Jym,

You are on it. The 490/498s were way too bright for what I was looking for. The Jazz / 59/Custom hybrid is a lot better, but still too trebly for my ears. I've tried, and can't seem to dial them in where I want them.

I'll get close, then I'll pull out the other Gibson at the same volume/tone settings, with 57 Classic plus in the bridge, and a 57 classic in the neck. That one is an '08 Trad, with a 50s neck and tall frets. It sounds GREAT - right where I want it.

Alas, I'm finding that, now that I am in a band (at 52...Just think of it as delayed adolescence or something to keep a real mid-life crisis at arm's reach), the fatter neck and the tall frets are also an issue.

The 94 has really low frets, and has a 60s profile neck (skinny). The goal now is to get the '94 in the same sonic range as the '08. Given no two guitars sound the same, I don't want to just drop a pair of 57s into the '94 without asking around a bit.

As for SH-55s and Antiquities, my understanding is that SH-55s are the "stock" from which Antiquities are aged, to include weakening the magnets a bit. Is that your understanding? Sonically, at least on YouTube, I like them both.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If you're buying '57's made after about 1998, the the Seth will kill them tonally.

7. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I don't have any experience with SD pickups.
    I also have a very limited budget. After I dropped over $300 (cdn) on a set of 57/57+, I wasn't in a hurry to keep spending that kind of money for pickups.

For my next set of pickups I went to a custom pickup winder, Vineham Pickups.
    Craig over there will actually talk to you personally and find your needs, and even custom wind you a pickup if necessary. At $80 cdn ( starting) Per pickup I found uncompromised quality and THE BEST service.

http://www.vineham.com/

TAlk to Craig, and I'm sure he can hook you up with what you are looking for.
    At a fraction of the price.

8. Platte City Paul

Heya Jym,

Thanks for the information! I sent Craig a note to explain what I'm after, and we'll see what he comes back with.

He reminds me of Dave Jones of Jonesyblues in Indiana here: http://www.jonesyblues.com

Dave is a craftsman, understands customer service better than most people, and is a hell of a nice person.

I'll let you know what happens, my friend.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep.....even cheaper than Seths come a variety of pickup winders.....Vineham and Zhangbucker being the top of the 'bang for buck' tree - even beating GFS IMO.
    In fact as an aside I had a GFS pickup in my Trad+ when I sold it.....did the '57 classic tone much better and for only $40/pickup too.

10. Platte City Paul

Thanks, man. I sent a note to Herr Zhang as well. Looking at his telephone number, he may be within an hour or so from the house. Sweet.

More to follow.

11. Platte City Paul

Well it turns out he is 15 minutes from my house. I’m going to pay his shop a visit tomorrow or Saturday. I’m looking forward to it.

mdubya likes this.
  12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Cool.....maybe you could do a 'workshop tour' thread. Given he is a vendor here he might not even overly mind some pics of 'work in progress' or similar.

13. Platte City Paul

I thought about doing a tour of the local craftsman here in the KC Area. We also have JHS pedals made here, and Scarlet Amps as well. All I have to find is a luthier who makes electrics, and we have the entire "signal chain" in one place. ;)

14. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I've had both Seths and 57s - and had them both in the same guitar. In my experience, the Seths are a better fit if it's a bright guitar. The 57s came stock in the LP, and were shrill and ice-picky. The Seths I replaced them with seriously lacked punch. I like low-output pickups, but not that low.

Hope you have a happier experience, whichever set you choose.

HTH.

15. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

One big plus to the Seth Lover set is that it has a lower wound neck, making for a "balanced set", where as two 57 Classics are the same pickup, often causing the neck to seem dark and overpowered by contrast, unless you really work the pickups leveling. If you get the 57 Classic Plus, you will have a balanced set, but one that has an all around higher inductance than the Seth Lovers. If you play clean, the lower wound / lower inductance sets give you more options, potentially at the expense of mid range "growl" when you crank up the gain, wit more high end bite instead.

Also the Seth Lovers are not wax potted, so you might get some microphonic effects, which might be pleasant, or might not be.

16. Platte City Paul

Well, I had a great visit with David at Zhangbuckers. We decided on a Pagey 2 and a Brownbucker. I'll let you know when they are in the guitar!

Jymbopalyse and Stuff like this.
  17. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Great.....I have a lot of pickups from David over the years. His winds are sleepers thats for sure, and he winds a wide range of different types of pickups too.

18. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Wassup with that?

19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The 57 has had many different changes over the years, taking them further and further away from the 'super pricey aftermarket only' of the early Tom Holmes designed 'glory years'.
    They got initially cheapened so they could be put into historics and maintain a healthy margin for the guitar.
    Then they got cheapened again when they hit the USA line as the OEM pickup and margins were tighter
    And....the classic + seemed to go even further than the 57 into the 'bright but muffled' field.

Yet the aftermarket price has remained stupidly high.

20. Platte City Paul

That's good information. My 2008 Trad has the 57/57 plus stock. I didn't know about their evolution. They sound great - better than the burst buckers that were in the '08 Standard I traded away for this one. I also like them better that the SDs (Jazz and 59/Classic Hybrid) I have in the 94 as talked about above.

I'm now waiting for David to finish the Zhangbuckers and will surely post some noise once I get them in. I'll have to record something with the SDs in there first.