ReWind Electric "Vintage Pickup Repairs Photo Thread" (eye candy central)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 3, 2016.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

The hardest part of my job is delivering this type of news to clients. Fortunately, in this case, it seems only the magnet was flipped and the rest of the pickup was all original, including the actual coils. It's not always such a positive turnout, however, and there have been more than a few times that I had to inform someone that the "100% original PAF" they paid good money for has been rewound or otherwise modified or repaired.

It pays to know what to look for when buying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rockinlespaul likes this.
  2. cooljuk

You definitely don't see these everyday!

Does anyone know what they are?

[​IMG]

3. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Sort of look like those Valco pickups you see on Supros after they quit using the black and white (now yellow) plastic-covered ones that bolted on through the fretboard.

4. cooljuk

Good call! They are from an Airline JB Hutto. The "Jack White" guitar.

I was REALLY impressed with how these sounded outside of that guitar, in a more typical wood guitar. Very full and bold and detailed. Not at all how then come across in the fiberglass bodied guitars.

Definitely unique in their sound but right up there with my favorite PAFs, P-90s, DynaSonics, and 70's WRHBs.

...and they are made of scrap materials. Just whatever was around or cheap, obviously.

This was the problem with one of them:
    [​IMG]

kakerlak likes this.
  5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Wacky stuff. I have an early (wood) Supro Ozark that has the black plastic covered pickup, like this:
    [​IMG]

I wonder how much it differs inside (if any). Really outstanding early '50s Sun blues kind of tone. It's remarkable to me how many of these early, crude designs sound so great.

cooljuk likes this.
  6. cooljuk

That's a gem! Real clean. I've not been inside one to tell you the whole story, but I took a full set of electrical, mechanical, and magnetic measurements from the JB Huttos, as well as a detailed selection of photos. ....in case you ever want to compare.

Though it only tells part of the whole story, some of the reason that these earlier pickups tend to sound so much nicer is simply because the only materials available were often what we consider today to be "better." The wire is a great example. There was no poly wire to be considered the "cheap and fast option" the only suitable wire that was available for use was wither plain enamel or heavy formvar, which are considered high end or esoteric by today's standards.

Again, it's not the whole story, but certainly playing into the more interesting sounds of older pickups is inconsistencies in materials and build then. Things were a little looser in spec and tolerances were more slack. These inconsistencies can come though, in a few different ways, as sonic improvements to our ears and minds.

I'd say plain old dumb luck also had a big hand in some of these gems. The size and shape of the magnets that Gibson and others used, for instance, was not due to detailed calculations of what would sound best or give the best combination of output and inductance or anything that well thought out but simply because they were what was already available in industry for other applications and could be had cheap and fast.

There's certainly plenty more than those parts to the whole picture, and I don't claim to even know it all, but I definitely find this stuff fascinating and it just makes these old gems so much more special. Things aligned, for whatever reason, allowing some fantastic pickups to be made in the 1950's and 1960's. Even some in the 1940's. By the 70's, manufacturers were beginning to "master" production of them from a sales standpoint and had found many shortcuts to take to increase production and lower costs. That's when many (but definitely not all!) of the "happy accidents" began to fade out of production and many could consider the resulting sounds to be less than ideal. ...that can apply to pretty much all gear in the electronic music industry. Not just guitar electronics, but professional studio gear and the home consumer hi-fi market gear. Always some exceptions, of course.

:cheers2:

Obligatory eye candy photo: 1960 PAF, turned inside out.
    [​IMG]

7. cooljuk

A particularly fantastic sounding 1966 Fender Precision Bass pickup.

Check out how that lacquer on the pole pieces has aged! It's long past yellow, well into a deep amber, basically straight-up orange.
    [​IMG]

It's made the gray forbon have a real olive drab color! ...maybe these are mil spec. ;)

[​IMG]

Matches those coils real nice, too!

[​IMG]

kboman likes this.
  8. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I wonder if the Fender Precision Bass is the most recorded guitar model of all time...

9. cooljuk

Smart-ass! :cheers2:

Honestly, I think that has a chance of actually being the case. ...and not only the Precision Bass but 60's Precision Basses, in particular! ...as far as electric bass guitar goes, I mean.

One thing that was really cool about that '66 pickup above is that the coil on the bass side was a little taller and the coil on the treble side was a little hotter (just typical hand-build parts slop, not intentionally). That gives the bass end a bit more brightness and clarity and the treble side a little more oomph to compensate for the smaller steel cores in those strings. I can honestly say that, if I could keep any P-bass pickup that ever crossed my bench, it would be that one. A real gem.

Here's another pic:

[​IMG]

10. cooljuk

Just another boring day in the office, slaving away for the man.

[​IMG]

Ya, right! :fingersx: