ReWind Electric "Vintage Pickup Repairs Photo Thread" (eye candy central)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 3, 2016.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

A couple of Lawrence single coils from a Microfrets guitar. These are like the angelic and pretty sounding version of a P-90. They absolutely sing and are some of the nicest sounding pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look really closely you can just barely see the red coils through the white plastic.

2. lespauldawg

lespauldawg Senior Member

Fascinating, thanks, James..............
    Very excited about my recent Low Output v2 order!!!

3. cooljuk

Excellent! Thank you for the business and support.

This bobbin is from a 1960 PAF that contributed to the design refinements the Low Output v2s. I'm sorry I killed it. I really am. It was THE late-PAF A2 sound, though. Just exactly what I wanted. No point in working from a PAF that isn't THE sound you want. There are some newer tools and methods that can give a great deal of info about materials without destruction now. I learned a great deal of things the crude way. Anyway, it's gone but a part of it lives on through your Low Output v2 set. :cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cooljuk

Check out this badass little 1971 Epiphone bass humbucker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Cool seeing those Micro-Frets pickups -- I have one (a complete guitar). Really great sounding guitar and gotta dig those big glued-together white lucite covers. You ever had an opportunity to take apart a vintage Guild HB-1 humbucker from the '70s-early '90s? Those are some of my very favorite humbuckers -- super articulate, bright, and lively.

6. cooljuk

I really like those Microfrets pickups. They are VERY difficult to repair (hours-long acetone and exact-o knife session) as they were never meant to be reopened, much less so many years later when brittle and then put back together with the original parts.

They were some of my favorite sounding pickups. I've considered buying a Microfrets guitar to get my hands on some of the pickups but then I would feel bad removing them from the original instrument and after talking with some people close to Microfrets I also understand they were all unique one-offs, for the most part.

I've repaired some Guild pickups/electronics but don't recall the models, off the top of my head. I have played a few Guilds that I thought sounded really amazing, though. ...and seen Kim Thayil live a few times, as well. ;)

(obligatory 1959 PAF pic)

[​IMG]

rockinlespaul likes this.
  7. afranke

afranke Senior Member

great pics james. thank you for putting in the time and effort.
    also gotta give you a plug for making some of the very best pickups ive tried.

8. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I've got a 1969-ish Micro-Frets:
    [​IMG]

It's a really cool guitar -- way funky and full of hand-machined hardware, etc. And it sounds just stellar for the kind of stuff I like to play. Unfortunately, I have a hard time getting along with the 24" scale (I have the same issue w/ Mustangs and Jags) and so it spends years at a time sitting in the case. The other issue I have with it is the strings tend to wander and buzz a bit in the ungrooved roller nut. Would probably be totally fine for country rhythm or jazz, but less so for heavy-handed string bending.

James, there's got to be a set or two of these floating around out there somewhere -- you know somebody took a screwdriver and hammer to their Micro-Frets and chiseled out a Dimarzio hole in the '80s... Would make a neat middle pickup for a Tele if you were willing to route one out to drop it low enough to clear the strings. (B/c every bastard pickup in the world belongs in a tele)

9. cooljuk

:applause: :lol:

Too true! Teles are the strung-up junk drawers of musicians.

If I found a set I liked as much as the ones above, they would go into a carved top LP. Though I do think the brighter and prettier sounding pickups (compared to P-90s) would compliment an all-hog Junior or an ash Tele, what I really lust after for these in my mind is the neck pickup sound only possible with a typical LP, where the neck pickup sits closer to the center of the strings. Those pickups were worth building a guitar around.

ok, I'm going to cheat a little here. This next one isn't exactly a vintage pickup repair. It's a heart transplant. I had a client who loved these Lawrence soundhole pickups so much he wanted a pair in a Les Paul. After a few, "just be aware thats..." and "you're sure about this...." conversations, there was nothing I could do but say yes and start hacking up the victim. ...er, I mean "the patient."

[​IMG]

Well, this is going to be fun.
    [​IMG]

I'm a professional and often bite my tongue but, honestly, could one possibly be more basic in design and ghetto in implementation? I'm all about "less is more" but talk about a profit-center. This is made from scraps in a puddle of glue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like I didn't take photos of the bandsaw session but that's how I got the pickup out of the glue. Just cut it down and down and down until it was close enough to break apart. It lived. Here it is, moved into its new chassis, just like a hermit crab.
    [​IMG]

Size comparison to a typical PAF.
    [​IMG]

10. cooljuk

This was a different sort of vintage repair. They will also be used in vintage more repairs. I got two of these vintage numbering machines with different size/spaced fonts. Now they both work and can run static numbers, sequential numbers or duplicate numbers. Very cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is GREAT! Just needs a little cleaning up. ...or not?
    [​IMG]

One of them even came with a 70 year old bottle of ink!
    [​IMG]

11. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

awesome stuff in this thread James!

cooljuk likes this.
  12. cooljuk

Thank you, kindly! I put a bunch of photos and videos of your TeleCATster set up in its thread late last night that I think you'll dig.

I've got a busy day today but here is a photo of some PAFs and Patent Number Decal Pickups on my bench...

[​IMG]

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. cooljuk

You could say this is the guitar pickup equivalent of a "Goldtop conversion."

This 1960's PAF-bobbin, pre-T-Top, patent number decal, poly wire humbucker needed its coils rewound and the owner made the choice to have them rewound with plain enamel wire and 1959 PAF coil patterns.
    ....also, using real NOS U.S. 1950's wire from Essex!

Considering the vintage wire, and that my coil patterns are copied turn-by-turn from actual vintage PAF coils and programed into a custom CNC winder to perfectly replicate them every time, this will be a PAF by all sonic and physical means, short of the decal.

[​IMG]

PLEASE DON'T write on your vintage pickups with sharpie or engrave your initials or write the DCR on them or other such things. If you really want to label them, do it on a small piece of masking tape on the pickup leg or, even better yet, make a hang-tag and tie it to the hookup lead with some twine. Whomever did this actually got mart of the "S" on the patent number decal which could have resulted in loosing the entire decal in the process of removing the sharpie. ...but it didn't this time because I'm awesome. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just about ready for action!
    [​IMG]

14. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Very cool! :dude:

15. cooljuk

Here's a view even most pickup winders don't get to see.

[​IMG]

Have a look at the original magnet. Ground (nearly) flat on all six sides. It must sound just awful, huh?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The black lines below are where some tape got caught between the slug bobbin and the magnet.
    [​IMG]
    Here, you can see that tape on the bottom of the slug bobbin I mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

Sct13 likes this.
  16. cooljuk

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and, yes, the white leads are supposed to be the starts, not the finishes. That's not an error for pickups of this date. Gibson switched that up later.

Brewdude and Sct13 like this.
  17. cooljuk

Oh, I cleaned that Sharpie off, too. Without disturbing the decal, even though it had some Sharpie on the edge. You'd never even know it was ever there.

[​IMG]

rockinlespaul, Wolf ^_^ and Sct13 like this.
  18. cooljuk

Aren't you guys glad I didn't use Photoshop? Haha! Hundreds of thousands if not millions of photos all over the internet are missing with "please update your account" notices now, in place of the photos. Never trust "free" services. I host my own.

1954 P-90 Restoration

This came to me from a Goldtop that's with Kim at Historic Makeovers, for a restoration of pickups and electronics. I have my work cut out for me!

[​IMG]

Yep. That's it. Missing all kinds of stuff and with crumbling bobbins, missing pole screws and 3 different lengths of pole screws, all stripped and some cut with bolt cutters. Cable TV coax was apparently used to hook these up at some point. The Scotch Tape holding the bobbin together is a particularly classy move. Whatever happened to this guitar before the current owner bought it, I feel sorry for it. ...but I love a challenge! Time to get to work!

19. cooljuk

So, not the original pole screws, they have been cruddy (and recently by the oxidization) cut to several different lengths and every single one of them is stripped in the threading.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently, this "repair" was done by Comcast.
    [​IMG]

Ouch.
    [​IMG]

More soon!

20. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Maybe somebody was trying to get that Grady Martin/Train Kept a' Rollin' clicking E-string sound....