ReWind Electric "Vintage Pickup Repairs Photo Thread" (eye candy central)

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by cooljuk, Jul 3, 2016.

1. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

LOVE these hi-res pics!

Hey James, sidetrack, but how well do you think this would work: Tele with a Charlie Christian in the neck, a Filtertron in the middle and a Jaguar pickup slammed all the way up against one of those Tele half-bridges?

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I think it would be just fine and dandy, and actually a fantastic idea, other than potentially not physically fitting and the Filterton possibly overpowering the others. If you can actually fit them all in, mod the filtertron with some weaker A3's, mount it low, and Bob's your uncle! :cheers:

Here's another shot of the infamous "number 4" PAF slug bobbin:

[​IMG]

You can see the "filled in hole" on the side facing the camera.

Fellas, I have THE MOST amazing vintage pickup here today. No photos uploaded yet, but this is so old and sexy it would make Ted McCarty's jaw drop. You guys stay tuned and keep a fresh pair of undies handy. If you don't need to change yours when you see this, you can use them to wipe the drool off your keyboards! Trust me on this one. You know I don't disappoint and when I say it's epic, I mean EPIC! :shock:

3. afranke

afranke Senior Member

bring it!

4. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I hope it's one of these: [​IMG]

Re the tele daydream: I think there'd be room for what I'm talking about in the Tele if you used one of those Charlie Christian-for-Tele pickups and a cut-down bridge to jam the Jaguar pickup up against. I was wondering about balance b/w pickups, too. Maybe a Hi-Lo Tron instead? Would require a custom body and/or pickguard.

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A charlie christian????
    Original version

6. cooljuk

What if I told you it was even cooler! :cool: ....but, ya, that's also amazing!

Oh, I agree with Alex on this. You'll want the original version of the Tele Christian, for best sound. I've yet to hear a replica that sounds remotely like the originals. The magnets are a HUGE part of the sound. ...but man, are they also huge, physically!
    [​IMG]

See, if you can mount the Filtertron between the 3 screws on the CC, you could be in business, but remember the CC magnets are also weak so you don't want stronger magnets in the Filtertron at perpendicular angles to them as the two will interferer with each other and the CC may eventually become degaussed.

Truth be told, if this project was on my bench, I'd wince and try my best to talk you out of the Filtertron altogether, just doing the Jazzmaster and CC.

Here's a bunch of PAF covers, which some insist "don't have pronounced dimples." :rolleyes: Makes you wonder why some people don't SHOW their work, ya know? I have nothing to hide and much to be proud of!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

btw - you guys can zoom in on these photos all the way to original resolution. I'm not short-changing my people, here! Watermarks are necessary for protection of my property but the resolution is there for everyone to really see the details and learn about this history!

7. Bluefox

Bluefox Senior Member

I kept it simple using a Lollar Charlie Christian with a normal Tele lead pickup. I can't say how much it's similar to the real thing, sonically, with two AlNiCo magnets, but has a big AWG 38 coil and the tone is huge anyway.

Attached Files:

8. cooljuk

Did you guys enjoy your vacation from me? :D

I've been traveling and working and honestly just didn't have much time for the forums, lately. Well, as promised...

Who wants to take a guess on how old this gem is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bluefox

Bluefox Senior Member

Well, my guess is 74 years old. Maybe 75.

10. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Wow, love that tortoise top and side covering! I also have no idea what it is, lol, but it's cool and pre-war-looking.

11. cooljuk

It came to me out of a Gibson pedal steel with a 1941 serial number!

...and guess what I found inside? The FIRST BURST that Gibson made! :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

^That'd look pretty cool as a tele neck pickup!

13. cooljuk

I absolutely agree. If I can find some heat-formable tortoiseshell material like that, I already have a few folks lined up begging for me to use it in various builds. I'm presently a big vacuum former so (again big IF) there would be a number of cool 3D options. Personally, I want a dogear cover and matching pickguard, made of this material, if I can find it, for my pelham blue Junior with a 1959 P-90 in it. :shock:

This is my favorite photo from the repair and study of this pickup. There is something very telling that can be seen here.

[​IMG]

14. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

You trying to show us dimples again, James?

15. cooljuk

Something like that, ya.

See the sharp ridge in the baseplate that lines up exactly with the perimeter of the underside of the screw head?

That shows that not only was the screw installed without the washer, initially, but it was installed very tightly. BEFORE Gibson realized washers were needed here. That says something to me about how early in the process this particular pickup was made!

It's also interesting that the bobbin mounting screws used in the baseplate are the same screws as the pole screws. ...though not ALL the pole screws, because the pole screws are not all identical to each other! I'll share more photos of that later. :cheers2:

16. Bluefox

Bluefox Senior Member

So it comes out of a Electraharp. It's what people calls the Long Diagonal Pickup used on the ES 300, (Offset adjustable pickup according to Gibson), in a shorter version to fit in a lap steel or pedal steel. Any guess on the type of AlNiCo used? A3 perhaps?

17. guitar-rocker

guitar-rocker Senior Member

Love all the photos and info, thanks greatly !

18. cooljuk

Absolutely A3s. Rather weak and bright sounding ones.

You know what's really interesting about the magnets - I expected to find the thicker early-P-90 size bars in there, but instead I found thinner humbucker size bars stacked two deep. The way the pickup came to me, the magnets were canceling each other out, completely non-functional. It looked original and the baseplate screws were pretty solidly bound to the baseplate and keeper bar so I don't think anyone had been inside it, previously. It may be that the stronger of the magnets re-polarized them over time. Even at full charge, they were pretty weak. It's a very bright and extremely clear and detailed sounding pickup.

19. kboman

kboman Senior Member

My first though when I saw that last baseplate closeup was "that thing has never been opened before!" - very cool.

20. Bluefox

Bluefox Senior Member

Really interesting. I presume that at that early time they didn't have an automatic winder.