Reverb Transaction -- Issue with Seller

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Fiesta Red, Dec 14, 2017.

1. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar V.I.P. Member

I think that’s an exceptional idea. Hint hint Mods :)

Justinreagin likes this.
  2. fry

fry Senior Member

I say no returns because I'm just a guy who sells stuff now and again. I'm not running a business, and I'm not going to welcome people to try to return stuff for whatever imaginary reason they've suddenly come up with. If you decided it ain't for you, flip it.

3. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

Sorry I was referring to selling Harley parts not guitars, bad comparison, my bad ... I'm not saying I ever liked having to return the item but if the customer pays return shipping and all associated fee's I'm not actually out anything ... customer is supposed to be king, but I see your point 100% and agree .... thankfully my transactions with psycho's has been limited

4. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Harley owners and musicians are totally different as customers. Musicians get turned around by a thousand different things. Or just basically change their minds. They can be real time wasters. Harley owners usually know what they want and will only send something back if it doesn't fit or if there was a problem with the description.

5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Plays like butta!

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

[​IMG]

7. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

WOW that really is a beauty. I'll offer you $100 more than you paid for it....as long as it is "brand new" with "zero damage";) No, seriously....that's a beauty!!!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Your post describes me very well, although I have less feedback then you....about 350 100% positives . While your way works as it did for me....that ended a few months ago. I sold a guitar on Reverb. It was described honestly and had many pix to back it up like I always do. They guy paid, and I shipped. Then I got this email: (exact copy and paste):
    "Thanks for the positive feedback. I will return the favor. I unfortunately will be returning the guitar. I got a chance to play one at the GC in Pasadena and I really didn't like it. I have never tried one before. I am not even going to open it up. I will send it out on Monday insured with Tracking of course."
    I immediately notified Reverb and told them I would take a return (which they agreed I didn't have to do) but I wanted my shipping back since he didn't even open it....I also told them that once he is forced to keep it, he will find magic damage on it. Then he found magic invisible damage on it. Reverb followed the whole thing and made him ship it back to me...the magic damage became invisible again (at least he didn't purposely try to damage it...I'll give him credit for that). Reverb told me i could deduct the shipping I originally paid....and they backed me up completely. So I have felt very good about reverb since then.

rabidhamster likes this.
  9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Wow -- some strange perspectives here. The listing is straightforward, and says "new" and "unplayed." Some of you can argue the definition of "ding" if you want, from another part of the description ("no dings") but that's irrelevant. These are flaws not found on new, unplayed guitars. As other posters have noted, this is a straightforward "item not as described" situation in which the seller's pollcies, including the "as is" and "no return" statements do not apply. Not only did he not provide a picture of the flaws in his listing, he stated that it was "new." It isn't. If he wants to claim that he was honest and the damage was caused in shipment, then the matter could conceivably be approached that way, but he will be held responsible for the damage because of the insufficient packing. Personally, I would not have settled for Reverb's compensation. Even though the flaws are fairly small, in the marketplace the difference between new/unplayed and worn is large. Imagine if he had listed it honestly, with pictures of the flaws and a verbal description of them. Quite different from "new." But because I am a jerk, I would have gone the return/refund route simply because I would be too angry and offended to enjoy the guitar. Just looking at those blemishes would piss me off -- and I don't mind worn, played guitars! But I do mind bad-faith, unhelpful people. But if it worked out OK for you, that's what counts. Sorry you had such a hassle.

10. Azmedian

Azmedian Junior Member

What ever happened I straight up honesty. Hey here are the pictures of "Whatever Item" All damages listed & pictured upclose. Here is my price. Take it or leave it. I bet that somebody would have bought the guitar if they new the damage was there anyway. Whatever the difference in price gap between "brand new" and the price of "used and/or damaged" certainly isn't worth the back & forth. Its societys allowance of "oh you cant do that, that's illegal" Give me a punch in the face as compared to a courtroom anytime.

rabidhamster likes this.
  11. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

I saw someone say that Paypal will go into you bank account to cover a return to a buyer that your Paypal balance is too insufficient to cover. That is false. It is also illegal. You cannot draft out of someone's account unless you have a reoccurring agreement to be paid out at the same time every interval for the same amount or you get approval for the one time debit from the account owner. If Paypal did this they would up and lose in no time during the bank dispute process (I worked in fraud and claims for BoA).

I no longer sell on eBay or use Paypal because they do help scammers screw buyers. Like when I sold an HP laptop monitor I tested before shipping and the buyer claimed it didn't work. Paypal finds in their favor and makes them send it back to me. I open it up and there is a broken Logitech keyboard in the box. eBay told me it wasn't their problem. Another time I sold a Pioneer double DIN head unit brand new in the box, buyer claimed it didn't work. I said ship it back to me and I will refund you upon receipt and inspection. They opened a claim instead, mailed me back half of a red brick in a box. Since Paypal took the funds from my balance and gave it to them the moment they upload a valid tracking number, I got bent over and Paypal told me it wasn't their problem.

So all of you blindly defending the buyers make me laugh. Obviously OP has a valid case here, but you should be more open minded. The seller isn't always the scammer.

MusicIsKey, Hogie34, Homebrw and 2 others like this.
  12. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

Then what happened? Did you get your money back?

13. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I had a weird week of exchanges myself selling a Historic tailpiece on Reverb.

This guy doesn't want to use the Reverb site, want to meet and always says he wants to meet at GC after it closes, or in some 7/11 parking lot or a Starbuck's location usually well after dark.

Everyday for a week he bugs me and just wants me to drop what I'm doing and go meet him for the sale. I said use the site, he says he doesn't have enough funds in his Paypal.

I say use the Reverb pay, he says he's not signed up for it, but wants to meet instead. All BS and starting to be creepy.

Turns out he has only one transaction and it's only one star, and the comments say he tried to do the deal on the side (a Historic 59 RI) to avoid Paypal fees and the guitar was not as advertised and he "forgot" to ship the pickup covers with the guitar.

So, one week to the day he first contacted me, he sends a message to meet up in the evening. I tell him for the last time, NO! Use the Reverb site or it's not going to happen.

Then he starts sending me messages with some name calling in them, and I told him to waste someone else's time, and thankfully I haven't heard from him since. He's from NY and was out here maybe for NAMM or something, don't know or care.

I figured IF I would've met him in person, he may have:

1. Not shown up with the full amount for the item to get a lower price "since we're both here now" thing.

2. He may be a perv or try something shady.

But to be so flaky, shady and then to start calling me names when you don't get your way? Scumbags like him are the reasons selling online can be such a pain in the ass.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Back around 2001 I had an issue with PayPal taking money from my bank account without permission. They caused me
    to overdraft. There was a lawsuit and I got all my money, fees and a nice settlement. As far as I know they stopped
    doing that long ago....

MusicIsKey likes this.
  15. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

No I got to take the loss. I promptly closed Paypal and refuse to do any business with them and eBay.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  16. Justinreagin

Justinreagin Senior Member

Sounds raw. I make videos with date and time just before shipping showing condition and full functionality. Saved my ass on a guy trying to dick me on a Les Paul Supreme I sold him on Ebay. Went to claim, I won.

17. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

That sucks... I would have gone Sp8ctre s route

18. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

Wanted to do that but seems always like a helluva trouble :facepalm: (i.e. laziness)