Reverb Transaction -- Issue with Seller

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Fiesta Red, Dec 14, 2017.

1. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

I purchased a Tele neck on Reverb. It was a Mighty Mite (or All Patrs) neck. I loved the look of the one in the photo - a nice dark rosewood slab board with a hint of flame in the maple headstock. I emailed the seller asking if that was the exact neck that I would be buying. He said yes, so I pulled the trigger.

When I got the neck it clearly wasn’t the one that was in the ad. I contacted the seller stating that the neck was not the one in the photo. I received a reply (from a different email address then the one that the seller replied from originally) saying they use a stock photo and ‘all the necks are the same.’ I replied with the original email attached and got no further response.

I didn’t push the issue further. I ended up keeping the neck because it had a nice feel to it. I would definitely think twice before buying anything of that site again, however.

Malikon likes this.
  2. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

The seller from this thread clearly misrepresented the condition of the guitar.

I do think there is a lesson to be learned from both sides here, both seller and buyer. I have a buddy who operates a very high end recording studio, and whenever they sell any piece of gear they always list it as non-working condition, because they have been screwed so many times by buyers. A buyer should also be leery of an item listed as “New” paired with a No-returns policy.

—Jay

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Everything has a nice breath.
    'Cause everything is "Mint"!

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Anyone else think @kid185 IS the seller?

(Cue dramatic music)

Hogie34 likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Interested in a toe? Black nail polish, and I can get some paperwork on it too.

Malikon likes this.
  6. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

The seller was likely a deceitful shithead who deserves a slap. It's a risk of buying online.
    But, really...it's a GUITAR.
    Dab a bit of clear nail polish on it and make some music, fer cryin' out loud.
    Or sit by the pool and count your blessings.
    This could take your mind off of a few square millimeters of missing lacquer.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

With Paypal being so in favor of the buyer. You really have to under promise and over deliver to be a successful seller. Even then you have to cross your fingers. People who are hiding things like this will learn their lesson the hard way.

8. jojo

jojo Senior Member

What a prick. Hopefully I never buy anything from you.

Dave_W likes this.
  9. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

That is not something of late, mate. People have always been like that, sadly. You just hear more of it because of, for one, the interwebz.
    Luckily, there are still plenty of good people, though.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

I would not return that guitar over those two marks.
    (Is there other damage?)

11. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of deals on both reverb and ebay. I have a positive 1200 feedback on Ebay. By pricing the items correctly and dealing with any unhappy buyers I have literally no claims filed against me. It's easy to be a seller. Be fair and treat the customer like you would want to be treated. Full returns are no problem because it can always be resold to someone that really wants it. Hundreds of guitars sold, I got 2 back that were instantly resold.

The problem as illustrated in this tread started when the seller would not deal fairly with the buyer.

12. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

True. This '55 happens to be in my area.
    https://reverb.com/item/7937724-epi...outfit-electric-guitar-w-hardshell-case-ebony
    I would love to walk in, look and laugh but...

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-p90-neck
    (sure, those Gibson P-90's with gold screws are gone...needed replacing...
    and the case? slightly scarred 100th anniversary lookalike
    truss rod cover is blank.
    Price was originally $799 just a while ago

What was refurbished on this instrument?

When the refurbishing factory received this instrument from the manufacturer, they inspected and tested the instrument and determined the instrument needed to swap out the pickups. They installed Seymour Duncan Vintage P90s in the guitar. This instrument is repaired to last longer than originally manufactured. This instrument was then professionally given a set-up by their certified technicians. Sounds and plays like new. **The hard case has a piece of the outer material missing. See photos.**

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  13. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

I bet the seller didn't even notice it, to be honest. I can hardly see it in the posted photos. He's probably on some other forum bitching about some a-hole buyer trying to screw him right now.

14. Funkadelic

Funkadelic Senior Member

Love your style man. I really do. Reading this and then seeing the Arnie gif is pure gold. lol.

Back to the topic. 180 days return policy... FTS!!

15. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

This x1000.

I've sold on eBay and Reverb and prefer Reverb. This character sounds like he either A) didn't pay attention to details and is incompetent or B) knew he had a guitar with finish flaws and was deceitful. An honest seller should offer refunds for any reason within a reasonable period and price their gear fairly. That's how I operate and have had great results and repeat buyers.

ramaglia375 and frankv like this.
  16. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I know I may be a bit old-fashioned ... but I try to buy only things that I have seen with my actual eyes .. good luck with your dispute resolution

17. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I learned from Selling on Ebay that when I listed my items as NO RETURNS, NO EXCEPTIONS people stopped buying from me, I have nothing to hide so I offer 100% returns, customer pay's shipping, Strict NO RETURN policies should be viewed as a Red Flag .. beware

SoCal Flood and frankv like this.
  18. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

that for sure opens you up to 'but I don't like the guitar' or 'my wife said no' or 'you said this guitar sounded like a burst, it doesn't'....Any seller should not be able to take back their stuff just because the buyer was looking at it with rose color glasses. Not saying that if there was an ACTUAL LEGIT issue with the item, (shipping damage or something not working as designed) then yeah if you want a return policy for that, by all means. But everyone here has bought with their eyes at least once and then once in hand it's a different story and that guitar ends up back on the market to cut their losses. It doesn't mean that it should be able to go back to the seller unless a strict agreed upon ahead of time brief approval period was allowed.

Left Paw and MusicIsKey like this.
  19. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

If I'm selling, I'm selling quality items and not trying to screw someone over. It will be as pictured and as described, if you don't like it after you received it and my listing says no returns, that's your problem!

Obviously if there is an actual issue that occurred in shipping, that will be taken care of.

Too many shitheads playing with your money. Fuck that

Hogie34, Left Paw and strat1701 like this.
  20. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

this is my selling M.O. as well.