Reverb Transaction -- Issue with Seller

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Fiesta Red, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

Brand new Gibson 2016 USA Gibson Limited Proprietary Flying V I bought on Reverb. Pics looked great. Seller typed "no return" on his listing. The guitar arrived on Tuesday and I let it sit for 24 hours. I opened it up today to examine it and put strings on it and found the damage pictured below. It was in a hardshell case.

The damage is in the crotch of the V.

The packaging was limited, as you can see in the next pic.

I paid with Paypal. Seller is sticking to "No Returns" policy. Reverb customer service intervened and agreed that seller should provide a refund. I gave an option for a partial refund to cover the repair costs, to which the seller has also refused. Reverb is unable to do anything more, and had me file a claim with Paypal.

So I have a dispute open in PP right now.

Here is the link for the guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/7263682-gib...d-proprietary-flying-v-2016-natural-with-ohsc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have this posted on other boards too for an alert to potential buyers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. fry

fry Senior Member

Item not as described. That makes his return policy meaningless. I’ve heard that if you accept PayPal, you also accept returns, like it or not. I can’t imagine PayPal won’t back you fully. If they lean on him, your partial refund offer might start to make sense to him.

3. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Paypal will actively screw an honest seller, so at a minimum, you'll be able to return it for a full refund.

4. fry

fry Senior Member

FD470A8C-FF47-4832-80CD-AE21EFCF2174.jpeg Right from a Reverb listing, open and shut case, in your favor.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  5. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Do you like the guitar? If so, I don't think that "damage" is too bad. I agree, it's not as described, I'm just playing devils advocate here. If you love it and it screams, nobody but you would ever look twice at that. If you are going on principle, you are in the right all of the way.

6. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

You’ll win, but I agree with FB69. Don’t spite yourself over something little like that.

Would you actually get that “repaired”?

wildhawk1, Mockbel and THE N.E.M.O like this.
  7. fry

fry Senior Member

I agree, not worth sending back. Go for a few bucks refund. Even if you don’t repair it, get a few bucks from the guy for being a dick.

Ed B, SLOPO, THE N.E.M.O and 2 others like this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

DagerOne likes this.
  9. Malikon

Malikon V.I.P. Member

listing says brand new and all the pics conspicuously omit that section of the guitar. Not only do I think he knew about the damage I think he hid the damage in his listing and that's also why he put 'No Returns'.

Get a refund if it bothers you. "Brand New" doesn't come with damage.

(minus Road Worn series.)

Rocco Crocco, SLOPO, cybermgk and 3 others like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

The damage does irritate me. Actually it's not the damage -- it's the misrepresentation and the refusal to work with me. I even asked for a partial refund to use for repairs and his response was:

"I sold you the guitar as described.
    It is shipped in its hard case. Even if dropped , the case and packing would protect it.
    I will not accept a return on this.
    Thank you"

11. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

You're not from around here, are you?

upload_2017-12-14_18-30-20.png

12. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I agree. And with buyers throwing hissy fits when reputable sellers request the gift option so they can save on fees/BS it really does make you wonder/think that pretty much ANYONE who uses paypal is simply looking for any way to fuck the seller, get their money yanked out of their PP acct by PP arbitrarily and get the stuff for free. PP's 6 month 'return' policy is beyond bullshit IMHO. 30 days maybe even 60 days but 180? FTS....

A buyer should have no qualms about issuing a PP gift as payment for an item if the seller is reputable/references and offers full shipping insurance. Then there is no need. if the thing gets fucked during shipping, take it up with the carrier, not try to angle for a full and complete refund from the seller. if the seller doesn't get full insurance on the item for what they were paid, then that's on the seller then.

More and more reasons gettin the fist from GC is looking more and more attractive every day....

13. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Paging TheX. Cleanup on aisle 3.

redjunior, jdto, Howard2k and 2 others like this.
  14. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Oh I know his view on it, and that's fine and dandy, it's his opinion. I have mine. Even if I included the extra 3% in my total price what I refuse to do is to be 'on the hook' for 6 god damn months when I sell something, that's beyond ridiculous.

15. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

F*ck this guy. Now, I'm pissed. Even if I liked the guitar, I would light him up with paypal. That money will be back in your account before you can say "Bend over." Since he misrepresented the item, I would make sure that he also pays for all shipping. I'd be tempted to put a dead mouse in the control cavity, before returning.

Maybe we should have a sticky with a running list of the sh*theel sellers on various site and another one for bad buyers.

16. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

My thoughts as well.

Tone deaf likes this.
  17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

The ad said "no dings". That guitar clearly has "two dings". It is interesting that they don't show up in the one full pic of it standing upright. The DINGS are covered by the case in the in-case pic.

Dictionary.com:

verb (used with object)
    1. to cause surface damage to; dent:
    Flying gravel had dinged the car's fenders.

My spidey sense tells me it's likely that those pics are from a collection of pics he took of the guitar when he first bought it (new in 2016?). Then he accidentally scratched it by setting on some idiotic stand, and then pawned it off for any number of reasons.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

His description says he got it from a music store that was closing down. It looks like the typical reaction of Gibson finish reacting to sitting on a stand in contact with rubber arms. He denies that it ever sat on a stand.

I showed it to my wife who knows very little about guitars and the first thing she said was "It looks like it has been sitting on a guitar stand."

marsten and Sp8ctre like this.
  19. fry

fry Senior Member

I don't get these sellers. I bought a Jet City 20 W head from a guy, wouldn't make a sound. I contacted him, he's a dick about it instantly. He tries to blame it on UPS, wants to file a claim with them, and only when he gets paid by UPS will he refund me. WRONG ANSWER. I said he can fight UPS, but I should get a refund now. Then he can chase them down for his money. He digs in, of course, so I have to get Ebay involved. While we're going back and forth, I decide to tinker with the tubes. Had a bad preamp tube, I put in a fresh one, good as new. I reply to him that the amp seems fine now, but I'd like $10 for the tube. He says only after I give positive feedback. WRONG ANSWER. I said I just saved him from having to fully refund me, because he would have lost, he won't budge. Then I find out I lost my Ebay protection when I opened the amp and replaced the tube (they monitored all our messages). I don't care, i just want $10 effing dollars! Ebay actually gave me $25 for my trouble and slapped him around for holding the money hostage in exchange for positive feedback. Positive feedback??? HA! I torched the mother effer!! Why are people such dicks, especially when they're wrong? I've sold a lot, and I would never treat a buyer like that.

20. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Doesn't look like shipping damage - those dings were already there. Hence item 'not as described' and his no-return policy will be quickly over-ruled by paypal.

But as FB said, if you like it consider keeping it.

freebyrd 69, Fiesta Red and Tone deaf like this.