Restringing a Les Paul (and locking the strings)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Positron, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Positron

Positron Member

Hi guys

I'm relatively a new Les Paul player and I'm extremely happy about the guitar. Except for the fact that I obviously suck at restringing this type of guitar :( I was a Fender player only before I bought the Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS. With the fender, I learned how to restring and lock the strings with the following tutorial: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae7HsWFRdYY[/ame]

After locking the strings I never had any kind of tuning problems on my American Strat, even on heavy duty bending stuff. With the Gibson however, I do have problems. Probably because of bad windings and an incorrect way to do it. I put some Big Bends Nut Sauce on the nut before restringing.

Essentially I just put the string into the hole of the tuning peg and then put the string below itself twice, and finally over it and tune up. It seems to work well with the 6th, 5th and 4th strings but not with the 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings.

Was wondering how you guys were doing it? I've searched through several tutorial but none did the job for me. I'm getting very frustrated by not being able to do this, it should be simple :( hope you guys can help a newbie of a Les Paul..

2. mono

mono Senior Member

Watch and learn:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc[/ame]

3. RobP

RobP Senior Member

Nice!:thumb:

4. planks

planks Senior Member

Each player has his own way of restringing, and there are different opinions about what is the best method. The way i personally restring is the one shown in this vid, i learned the method from the luthier who sets up my guitars when it's needed. Very simple, plus it gives great tone and stays perfectly in tune. Setting the holes in the tuning key posts in a 90 degree angle to the neck, is important for this method BTW.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRGw0rEVjCc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRGw0rEVjCc[/ame]

5. Guitardad47

Guitardad47 Senior Member

That video was pretty cool Planks. I never saw that method before, I will be sure to give it a try.

6. RobP

RobP Senior Member

I will also give it a whirl!

7. Positron

Positron Member

Thanks for the helpful posts guys.

Mono: Have you experienced any problems with that kind of stringing method when it comes to either string breakage or loss of tuning stability? Looks like a great video, and a simple method too :)

planks: looks like a nice video too. When you've done the first 3 heavy strings, do you then insert the string from the inside as well, with the 3 lighter strings, and just do the opposite than he did with the 3 heavy strings? He doesn't show that in this video.

Just deciding what method I should try when I have more time later today, I already destroyed 3 packs of strings and accidentally made a few scratches on my headstock :/

8. mono

mono Senior Member

I have had no issues whatsoever with the method I posted. Strings have stayed in tune and not broken... but make sure you wind them from the bottom up and they don't overlap in doing so.

9. The DUDE

The DUDE Senior Member

Yes, always go from the inside out - then bend the string UP towards the top of the headstock then back around to the inside and under the string on the other side of the tuning post.

I use to use this method, but now I prefer the 3 finger method like in the video that Mono posted.

Both work great and never gave me any problems with staying in tune. But the method in Mono's video just seems easier for me...

10. planks

planks Senior Member

Yes. :thumb:

11. Positron

Positron Member

That was the thing I apparently missed previously. It seems to lock the string and make the tuning quite stable. So far it seems to have worked, after 4 lost attempts on a whole set of strings :)

Thanks a bunch for your help guys!

12. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

This thead showed me just how wrong I've been stringing my guitar for years and showed me just how easy stringing is. No 45 minute battles filled with sweat and profanity!

13. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I change the strings differently on my Mustang than on my Les Paul.
    My Mustang has the slotted machine heads.
    They're easier to change.

14. 92Standard

92Standard Senior Member

As you can see, many different methods and opinions on how to change and wind the strings. Me personally, I've always used the method in the Baker video (I gotta pay more attention to those bends before winding) keeping at least three winds on the post and have never had a problem. Really important to stretch those strings thoroughly.

15. Positron

Positron Member

92Standard, yup that's true about the bends. I had some initial windings issues because I didn't make the bends sharp enough I think.. btw. that's a gorgeous LP in your avatar :)

16. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

I've always had trouble figuring out winds or wraps. The method I use I got from a book and its loads of bending and knotting and really messy (and a pain in the ass on the thinner strings when you got not much to grip). I was very surprised when I watched the Baker video and saw just how little he was actually doing.

17. Spudnik

Spudnik Member

This is a great method and how I have done it for a long time! Thanks for the video Planks :thumb:

18. Positron

Positron Member

I played a concert last night with the Les Paul for the first time. Holy crap this guitar rocks live when turned up :D didn't need to tune much between the numbers, nice :)

19. Hawiian2

Hawiian2 Senior Member

Damn, This just reminded me I gotta go buy a few sets of strings ...

Mods, This might be a good thread for a sticky??

20. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member