Restoration Eelco Gelling burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Waterbird, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Waterbird

Waterbird Member

2. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Senior Member

Joe playing Eelco's guitar during soundcheck at the Carre theater. It was the first time Eelco heard his guitar being played while sitting in the audience. He's owned it for 50 years !!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mgMroGEtI[/ame]

4 people like this.
  3. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

Bet he didn't know it could sound so good...;-)

1 person likes this.
  4. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Now i'd like to see Eelco playing one of Joe's bursts!

I love JB - he's living the dream, but I gotta say I prefer the way Eelco plays his burst, his light touch and use of the guitars nuances is just amazing to watch - and so hard to replicate... obviously he plays that baby quite a lot [I know I would]

awesome!

5. Meddled

Meddled Senior Member

I've tried to go through this thread to answer one question. I'm surprised at the number of people who live vicariously through other players and their instruments, especially when it comes to what repair work they would, or would not, have done. :shock:

I'm interested in vintage aviation (WW2 to Cold War era British, Axis and USAF to a lesser degree). You could argue that all the modded P51 Mustangs that show up to the Reno air races should be restored back to their 1940s condition, but then they would probably never win any races. Furthermore, such a restoration would erase decades of history purely to get back to an imagined ideal of the perfect aircraft, even if it doesn't fit the tastes and purposes of the flyer. There is enough P51 Mustanges in perfect condition, and there also appears to be enough Case Queen bursts to appease the market for clean Lesters, so I don't see the issue. If this was the last unmolested burst on earth, or if it was being restored from a carcass then I would understand the need to put it back as closely as possible to what left Kalamazoo. Eelco Gelling put Strat knobs on this guitar for a period, so I think that tells us where his mind is at! Let the guy play...

I was looking for one answer alone. The top on the Eelco Gelling burst must be refinished, right? It looks to be one of those bursts that had a Hagstrom trem hacked in (because nobody was buying them?) that appeared in Europe. If so, that maple plug in the top has been added after the fact, so the burst must have been reapplied. :wow:

6. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Senior Member

If you think Hagstrom refinished Les Paul's after he put his trem on it, you're wrong.
    The maple plug was made and installed by Gibson in '77/'78 during Eelco´s time with Golden Earring. Gibson matched the flame and color of the plug to match the top. They didn´t refinish the guitar.

7. Meddled

Meddled Senior Member

I never suggested Hagstrom did anything. The Hagstrom trem required a cylindrical hole to be removed from the top of the instrument. At some point it was removed and the whole mess was filled and the plug was added. The orange burst doesn't look like a Gibson factory finish, but I know nothing about anything. :thumb: I'm surprised that Gibson only touched up the plug area if this work was carried out in the late '70s.

8. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Senior Member

Eelco made it clear to Gibson, only plug the hole, no refin. It was tomato soup burst, orangeburst is what remains after 50 years of constant use.

1 person likes this.
  9. Meddled

Meddled Senior Member

Fair shout! Thanks for answering my questions. :)

10. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Senior Member

Here it is next to the Runt

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. StandardLou

StandardLou Member

Thanks for making a fine old guitar play as it should.
    That's the bottom line here.
    Substandard work is unacceptable on any instrument, irrespective of value or provenance.
    There is no one answer here- it depends on the instrument.
    The guitar has suffered some wounds, and the owner wanted to make it play right- as the burst that it is.
    The guys that did the binding and refret work were hacks, and did not do right by the owner or the guitar.
    This guitar will never be an unmolested example of a burst.
    It has been brought back to being a fine playing old burst, and that's all it has to be.

2 people like this.
  12. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

I have seen pics of this burst with strat style volume tone knobs etc, and when Eelco painted a flower over the plug hole, I love the fact hes brought it back to looking original as he can. More so that he has put screws back into where the tremolo was, they really stand out when Joe B was playing it and so from a distance you can tell its Eelco's burst immediately [if you know about the screws] - nice touch Eelco

13. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Thank you.

Who gives a flying f**k what you detractors think of his choice of refret, it's his guitar, and unlike most "enthusiasts" of vintage Les Pauls he actually uses it for what it is intended for - y'know - making music...... oh, what, you forgot that?

14. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Really? I guess he probably has every idea of how good his guitar sounds.

Bonamassa's playing really, seriously grates on me. Give me someone like Paul Kossoff any day.

15. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

If you read the last few pages, he did NOT like the job and had it redone more professionally. Seems some of us "enthusiasts" were right after all. No one had issues with the doing the work it was the half assed way it was done.

For what it's worth, many of us do or have played professionally or at least semi-professionally.

1 person likes this.
  16. Meddled

Meddled Senior Member

I would naively assume the other guy meant that Eelco had never heard his guitar in the third person before? :hmm:

17. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

Well.. give me Joe b's playing any day over Mr Gelling's..

I'm not much of a fan of Joe b but atleast his playing doesn't make me feel depressed and very sleepy :laugh2:

18. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Hey Eric- So I am old and have been around the block a couple of times and my memory is beginning to suck. I grew up in Nashville and played like crap but loved the music of the 60s and early 70s. By about 72 I thought most rock music was spotty at best played by drug addled wuzzes and army coated crap riffsters. So that may give you some background into my mindset.

Anyway to make a short story long, there was a guitar store on Hillsboro Rd in Nashville near Vanderbilt that sort of catered to the rock guitar wannabes. I cannot remember the name but it was next to a photographer and a sporting good store. IF you went in there in the late 60s or early 70s you would see Fenders and a SG or two- never saw a Lester ever. Maybe one was in there, maybe my memory sux, but it was not a guitar in demand. I remember asking about one there because JPage used one but was told they do not sell well, heavy as an anvil and uses the same pups an SG(that what I was told). They told me to go the the music store downtown next to the Grand Ole Opry and maybe they had one.

So I haul my butt there and they did not have one....not real surprising cuz they catered to the country crowd. If you wanted a Tele, Strat or 335, SG or Martin or Guild or..they were all over. Lesters not so much.

For me and my contemps, rock was sort of over by college in '72 and by the end of college disco was in full force. By the mid 80s all I remember were pointies. Shoot even Guild was making them with Floyds...Guild?!.

So maybe there were Lesters around, I sure did not see many, they were hard to find and by the mid 70s me and my contemps did not even care who was playing them because from our POV, music was lamo. Now supposedly I am the demographic for the guitar. But I do not see it. I have one, it is nice, but not my first love. Try to steal my Tele-there will be a graying spider monkey all over you.

So ya you may be right about the collectibility in the 80s but wrong about the love and availability. But then this was Nashville where probably more Gretsch Country Gents got sold in a week than Lesters in 20 weeks.