Restoration Eelco Gelling burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Waterbird, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Waterbird

Waterbird Member

So great to see Eelco Gelling playing again. A very humble person and in my opinion the best Dutch guitar player ever. The man himself and his 1960 Les Paul have been through a lot. The guitar required a major overhaul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Restoration
    Wikipedia
    Burst Serial

16 people like this.
  2. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Hell yes:wow::applause::dude:

3 people like this.
  3. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Seems like a very aggressive approach to refretting such a valuable guitar. I would hate to see my old Les Paul done like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Just say no to plaining.

7 people like this.
  5. Stoj

Stoj Senior Member

I don't see Eelco parting with his 60's burst anytime soon, if he's happy with the way the refret turned out, all good in my book :dude:

2 people like this.
  6. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

Somehow I had the feeling this thread would make a few upset with the fretboard planing... it's not that big of a deal and sometimes necessary in my experience if you want to really set it up well. And I think if they do the binding right, in ten years nobody will care. I think the guy did great work, and one fretboard planing every 54 years doesn't mean this guitar is getting sanded into dust. At that rate maybe in 3-400 years this might be a problem.

Fletch

19 people like this.
  7. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Very rare it is actually needed. In fact it is almost never case. You can put slightly higher frets on the guitar and dress them down to have a true playing instrument. I have no idea why anyone would do it for the most issues.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Why replace the binding? It doesn't look right now, huge frets and thick new binding, glue squeeze out on the board.

This is like a Stew Mac catalog job, right down to the superglue. Great work for a used Hamer, not for a burst.

So what if the guitar has already been modified, it deserves a more sensitive and conservative approach. This job went way too far.

3 people like this.
  9. single cut 54

single cut 54 V.I.P. Member

I agree that fretboard sanding should be avoided if possible and I'm baffled as to why the bindings were removed and replaced but the poor seating of the frets is also a big concern to me. :shock:

8 people like this.
  10. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

I'm all for him getting it back up and running, but we have to preserve these guitars by putting them in the hands of the right people to fix them.

Clearly the guitar deserved the attention of a more sophisticated and talented shop.

1 person likes this.
  11. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

I would like to see the finished work before I go completely postal. :laugh2:

13 people like this.
  12. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Hey its his guitar. He's a pro, a much better player than most here will ever be. His guitar is a tool and if he feels he needs work done, so be it. Not everybody who owns these guitars locks them away in a vault hoping their value will rise. Some people actually use them, so they need to be maintained. get over it ladies.

14 people like this.
  13. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Ive seen this one up close. Its damn battered anyhow. The refret looks kinda rough but it hardly matters. This guitar is 100% s players guitar. Function over beauty :thumb:

8 people like this.
  14. Tidewater

Tidewater Senior Member

Ouch. Yikes. Yuck.

2 people like this.
  15. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I would assume that the decision to do the restoration this way was made by the owner and a tech/luthier who has actually held and inspected the guitar in person rather than, you know, random people looking at a couple of photos on the internet... But what do I know.

13 people like this.
  16. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

There are a couple very well known vintage shops that do this to every guitar they refret. No good reason for it they just do it.

17. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

These are just excuses for the poor work. The worst part is that Guitar Service has the pictorial up on their website like some kind of trophy, "this is how you restore a burst". To call this a restoration is blasphemy. The guitar needed a refret and they turned it into major surgery.

I hope they are reading the criticism and can learn something because they show exactly how not to approach refretting a vintage guitar with a bound fingerboard.

And here you go guys go, making all their excuses for them. Shit work is shit work. If you can't do things right on a burst, then there is no hope. These clowns just crapped on an iconic guitar and they're proud of it.

3 people like this.
  18. gitmohair

gitmohair Senior Member

^ This.

6 people like this.
  19. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I would ask you not to put words in my mouth.

What I did was point out that none of us posting here (myself included) has ever seen, held or inspected this guitar in person and the state is was in before the work was done (but please correct me if I'm wrong about this!). We do not have the full insight required to make a value judgement of the kind you just did.

9 people like this.
  20. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Yes we do.

This is all you need to see to make the value judgement that Guitar Service went rodeo clown on this burst.

[​IMG]