Replicas Acceptance and Reputation

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by leduke, Mar 4, 2018.

1. leduke

leduke Junior Member

Hello.
    I wonder if in others countries replicas guitars are approved ?
    I'm from France, and many people considered that they are simple copies of Gibson/Fender and so on. When I buy my first Maybach, many people said that they will never buy other than Gibson and Fender brands, even if it sound better when comparing two guitars (I don't say that Maybach sound better than Gibson or Fender, I tryed befor to buy, and compared to the guitar I tried, the Maybach was better, if the Fender telecaster and the Gibson Les Paul was better, I surely bought the Fender and the Gibson).
    But other amp builders than Marshall/Frender/etc... are more accepted... Friedman, Reinhardt, Denis Cornell, Two Rocks, Dr Z... They are considered as "Boutique Amp", not as copy.
    It's also the fact with pickups: Bare Knuckle, Voodoo pickups, Fralin, etc... are not considered as copy...
    This may be because amps and pickups are based on famouse pickup/amps but they bring there own personality, but it's the same for guitars like Maybach, Kelton Swade, and so on...
    When I watch amps demo or pedal demo, in US shootout I often see other guitars than "classical" brands.
    So what is your opinion ? Which country is more open minded about replica guitar ? :thumb:

2. DeeCee

DeeCee Senior Member

I have no problem with replicas as long as they are not 'counterfeit', in as much as, say, a copy that has been given a Fender/Gibson/Whatever logo and passed off as the real McCoy. Hell, most of us on here had copies as youngsters. And, yes, I still think that some of those, even back then, were better made than the brands they copied!

MauiCliff likes this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

when you replicate something it is a replica.. not just guitars.. Bugera replicates Peavy amps for example.. for me it is a replica as same as Tokai replicating Gibson for example..

Replicas can be as good or even better than original thing, but most of people (including me) would still appreciate the real thing..

Hogie34 likes this.
  4. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

I support the original brand or their umbrella brands in every case. The price policy is often the issue why people can’t afford the original. Here I’m okay with cheaper copies for beginners. The rest should come up with their own ideas.

5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Honestly, I wouldn't hang around anyone that gives enough of a shit about menial things such as the logo on the headstock of a guitar, but that's just me. There was someone on here earlier that was dismissing buying an Edwards merely because he didn't like the name of the brand... :facepalm:.

I mean, such loyalty to the brand is pointless when you consider the fact that modern day Gibson actually has nothing in similarity to how it used to be. It's been owned by two separate holding companies with two separate approaches to production and operations, which both differed vastly to how things were done in the golden era. At the end of the day, in a free market, I'm going to buy the product that maximises quality and my enjoyment at the lowest possible price. I buy and play MIJ Les Pauls because there's more utility on offer to me at my pricepoint, but everyone is different. Play what you want to play.

And this is true for all products I buy; I don't care about propping up dying industries or buying locally for the sake of keeping uncompetitive domestic business alive, I buy what I think is the best valued item to me, no matter what other people think of it, and you should too.

As someone who's never used a Bugera and only heard awful things of them... Why? Why would they copy Peavey, a brand that sells a line of budget-conscious amplifiers that are usually just a copy of something else anyway? Do Bugera actually copy Peavey? This surprises me, because the Peavey valve amplifiers are actually pretty good, given their pricepoint. Even the old solid-state bandits use to put out a sludgey, doomey tone.

Correct me if I'm wrong on Bugera amps being awful, as it's entirely anecdotal from what I've heard.

nigelthebald likes this.
  6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I didn't mean they are bad.. a friend of mine has a Bugera and it roars ! I was just replying to OP that replica concept is present in amps as well as guitars... i dont mind having a MIJ Les Paul when I can't afford a Gibson as long as it plays and feels good.. but I would love to have the Gibson over a replica in general.. that's me.. and i believe many out there are the same... brand freak kinda :D

bluesriffdev likes this.
  7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I have no problem with a Replica/Copy of "G" or "F" as long as it's not a direct fake purposely made to cheat one out of alot of money.

I think the reason why I have 3 MIJ LP copies is that my guitar buddy's don't have one like mine. Kinda neat to have something that not everyone has.

I've owned 4 Gibson's in the past (3 explorers and a 08 LP Standard) all great guitars. I will eventually buy another Gibson, just having fun with something different atm.

I think some people's philosophy is that the more money spent, the better the product. Well alot of us know that's not true but some will or cannot not accept that fact just because of the name on the headstock doesn't have a "G" or "F"

nigelthebald likes this.
  8. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

I'm not old enough to have American pride when it comes to manufacturing. When I was a kid everything we made sucked for the most part and the Japanese or Germans usually had a much better option or the Chinese offered the same thing we made for a fraction of the cost.

Gibson has changed hands a couple times since the golden years, moved manufacturing 800 miles, and are probably changing hands again soon. It's not like they are Martin who has been in the same spot in the same family since the start.

Here is how I look at replicas. Gil Yaron is the gold standard of today. An objective person would agree his completely hand made guitar start to finish is a finer example than anything Gibson turns out. You can land a Gil all day for $12k. A Gibson with a Brazilian fretboard will run you $9.5k to $10.5k. It's the same guitar that an objective person would agree isn't as fine of an example, but has a $40 upgrade to the fretboard.

Then you have others than offer builds with all of the correct specs from $3.5k-$5k all over that are at least on par with a Gibson.

People do what they want, but when I buy guitars to keep I look at what I am getting for the price I am paying. Gibson started missing that point for me years ago and whoever the new owner is might change that. I'm not for or against any brand or make.

9. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

A good analogy is the modern sports fan. Teams trade or release beloved players and fire respected and admired coaches all the time, and while it breaks fans' hearts, they'll shrug it off with the excuse that "it's a business." So what are we actually rooting for, as fans of these teams? The mascot, logo or colors? No, it's more about the past, what that team accomplished that won our allegiance in the first place. We wear our loyalty like some kind of badge; a true, diehard fan sticks by his or her team through thick and thin, good times and bad.

Brand loyalty to a company like Gibson is basically the same thing. They put together a true dynasty in guitar design and manufacturing that lasted decades, with an incredible "roster" of Hall of Fame players. But those days are bygone, and now we watch the company flounder through ill-conceived redesigns and slumping sales. A true Gibson "fan" is going to remain loyal no matter what, because he or she derives a sense of pride, and even self respect, from that loyalty. It's easy to root for the frontrunner, in sports and in life, but a diehard fan who rides out the tough times without jumping ship can claim stronger character.

I have owned many Gibson guitars in my life, and still do. I consider myself a fan of the brand. But my favorite guitar ever, the best one in every way, is a luthier-built Burst replica. It is so much better, in fact, that I consider it more of a "real thing" than any actual Gibson I have played or owned. Yes, it's a copy, but all the tangible qualities of how it feels, plays, sounds and looks far outweigh any nostalgic sense of brand loyalty I have toward Gibson. Good thing, too, or else I would have missed out on the experience of playing a guitar like this every day.

20171118_232448.jpg

FWIW, I live in the United States. I'm also a diehard Boston sports fan. :h5:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  10. leduke

leduke Junior Member

That's exactly my feeling with my Maybach :cheers:

I mean... Prefering a brand even if the other is better sounding, more confortable to play, is to me a little bit of snobbery.
    The actual production of Gibson is far away from the Original spirit and original factory, only the name is Original...
    Nowadays, to my mind, The Heritage Guitar is the real spirit of Gibson.

11. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Senior Member

Exactly!

Mockbel likes this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

13. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

I certainly get the fandom behind brands, and by no means was I referring to people such as yourself. I merely mean the people who dismiss anything else because of that loyalty, i.e. your guitar is much closer to the real deal, but you still like Gibsons.

I'd like a Gibson too - all my favourite guitar players have been predominately Les Paul / SG players, but that doesn't mean I'd not buy Tokais, Grecos, or luthier-built Les Pauls such as yours. I can get commitment to a brand name, but the idea that something is 'not worthy' because it doesn't come from the Gibson factory is kind of pointless, because as I said, it's not even owned by the same company, and as someone else pointed out, they aren't even produced in the same factory anymore.

I didn't mean to cause offence over the Bugera brand, I just thought it was strange that they'd copy a brand that produces copies, or heavily-influenced copies of famous amps to begin with. In hindsight, it's a stupid argument, because many people clone Oranges, which were originally a heavily-influenced replica of a Marshall, which were originally a replica of a Fender Bassman.

Exactly. Comparative advantages and what not. But some people place value on the emotion associated with a brand, and no-one is completely economically rational. Case in point is farmer-run milk companies; I can't taste the difference but a lot of my older relatives still buy it to prop up uncompetitive business because they're passionate about local industry. I don't really see the point, but it's their money.

14. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I just like guitars. I don't care what the brand is if I enjoy playing it. I have 2 Gibsons. I have 2 MIJ Burnys. And I have the Dillion singlecut in my avatar. And a few other guitars, too.

Last night someone slammed me in the backstage area for buying a MIJ guitar. It wasn't a usual poster though, it was some guy with like 13 posts so if I'm lucky I won't see him again on the forum anyway. I'm new here myself, but I have been on here for years lurking. I would never insult anyone's choice in a guitar though, or anything else for that matter. I'm glad we have so many choices in brands and types of guitars.

Bugera...I don't think they sound like Peavey's myself. I even like how they sound. I'm just afraid to buy one due to the horror stories.

15. solderjunkie

solderjunkie Senior Member

I find loyalty to a brand or otherwise ridiculous and superficial. For me, it is about the substance of the product not a label. The Gibson of today or for that matter, the past 48 years since Norlin acquired them in 1969, is not the same company which produced some of the greatest guitars the world has ever known. Rather, they are just another replica builder, and ironically not a very good one. Thankfully there are a growing number of builders out there crafting instruments with the old methods, approaching the quality of those early Gibson's. Builders with integrity that don't need to answer to stockholders.

16. leduke

leduke Junior Member

That's right !