Replica Les Pauls show em!!

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by fretboarder, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Interesting and well said. Where would you scale my 1980 Burny FLG240? Custom order, 240k yen in 1980 equals 2400 USD in 1980. There's only 2 of these accounted for, both outside of Japan. That's a solid top btw.

[​IMG]

2. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

If you are GAS'ing for an Edwards Liam, grab one of the Pure Material models. Mine is amazing.

[​IMG]

fretboarder, RAG7890 and BrianGT like this.
  3. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Based on that line of reasoning, your guitar spec wise would best belong with the LP Build segment but is really a high end, custom order LP Copy.

4. jacco

jacco Senior Member

I think so too James. The point is: not all MIJ are copies.

5. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

a wanna B Rossington? :laugh2: ................
    [​IMG]

RAG7890, Stowburst and BrianGT like this.
  6. alexanderja

alexanderja Senior Member

SPOT ON ...... all too often I see people confuse these definitions

7. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

These may be common definitions used here, but people aren't "confused" about them.

All replicas are copies - by definition.

Any production model that even attempts to make their guitars like the originals from the '50s and '60s is making a replica - by definition.

If a luthier-made LP bears a certain G-logo on its headstock, it's a fake - by definition.

Before you get upset with me, all I'm saying is that these words have an English meaning. They may have other meanings here, but you can't expect people to smell that. We've developed our own way of talking about these things.

What you guys are really talking about is luthier-made, or hand-made, custom replicas. Right? Or hand-made or luthier-made, custom copies - it doesn't matter which.

The distinction is that they are made by hand, by experts, sparing no expense, to get as close to the originals as possible. So that even the ones that are technically "fakes" are not as bad as the usual fakes, because the only time someone would actually be disappointed by buying it thinking it was made by someone else, and then discovering that it wasn't, would be if they thought it was a '50s original - which is unlikely due to the intense vetting of originals. (I'd be thrilled to buy an R9 only to discover it was an expert-made replica)

So these distinctions may be important here, but don't expect the general guitar-playing public to use them. Slash's Les Paul is, according to the English definitions, a fake Gibson. Or a copy of a '50s Les Paul. It's also a replica of a '50s Les Paul. But the only way to describe to people what actually makes it different, is to say it's a hand-made replica (or copy) of a '50s Les Paul, made by a highly skilled luthier.

BrianGT likes this.
  8. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

Good post! :thumb:

By definition if it has G on the headstock it IS a fake Gibson.......it's not real.....it's a copy or a replica whatever you want to call it but it is a fake!

I own a fake and a copy then!!:D:dude:

9. alexanderja

On a guitar forum, the requirement is to understand recognised guitar terminology ..... not necessarily the actual dictionary meanings.

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

I agree........

I ordered a replica/fake/copy whatever this board wants to define it as because I knew I would receive a great instrument with a huge neck that I would want to pick up and play.....and make music.......and make music........and make music!:)

11. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Man it's even worse; you own a fake copy! :D

Udonitron and BrianGT like this.
  12. jacco

jacco Senior Member

True, so tell me where this all is defined?

13. dazzypig

dazzypig Senior Member

Can't wait to get my hands on my fake LP. It's gonna be sweeeeeet!

14. alexanderja

Well Flameburst did a pretty good job of describing what I, and many others recognise as being the definitions..... I'd say that's pretty much on the mark.

15. claudel

claudel Junior Member

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

It's been around for awhile ( Hi Rob )

[​IMG]

I always wanted a red one...

It's tough to catch the tint and the chatoyance with my limited camera skillz

[​IMG]

Great wood, amazing pickups ( thnks Wade ) good hardware (Callaham, Faver, Grover, etc... ), Electrosocket, frou-frou caps & pots.

[​IMG]

It goes to "11". That's one more than "10". :laugh2:

ZWILDZR1, rykus, bbaasje and 3 others like this.
  16. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Actually, that conversion is a little off.
    The Yen was worth around ¥220 - ¥240 to 1 US dollar back in the early to mid 80's.
    The price conversion would be around $1085USD, which was still a pretty penny back in 1980

17. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Ah I see it was in between 200 and 250 indeed. Another reason to do my own research next in time instead taking something for granted!

18. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Yes, but you were referring to something we all should know and he just formulated it yesterday..

19. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

This is my point. Using existing words with new definitions is always going to be a source of confusion. You can't blame people for not knowing them, or get irritated. (does anyone else get annoyed when a really popular group is called a "super-group" when that word was invented for groups made up of people who were already stars? Just me? Ah well)

In fact those dictionary definitions can be damn helpful when some f%$^tard is claiming that a Greco or something is a "fake." Since it's not representing itself as anything other than what it is, it isn't. Argument over. On the flip-side it's pretty hard to argue that a Greco LP isn't a "copy" for the same reason. We have to acknowledge the dictionary meanings.

The popular approach to this problem is to use acronyms :D 'orrible, really. But they can help to get right to what you're saying while still being concise. Like an HMR - a hand-made Replica ;)

Then your thread would clearly be limited to attempts to reproduce vintage LPs, but only those that were hand-made.

Ok. Nit-picking over on my part. Back to your awesome guitars. :D

noelgrassy likes this.
  20. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

:io:

Udonitron likes this.