Replica Les Pauls show em!!

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by fretboarder, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Marlboro13

Marlboro13 Senior Member

Handmade...

Body: Brazilian mahogany
    Top: Brazilian Cedar
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Top finish: Bullion Gold (nitro)
    Back: Black (nitro)

[​IMG]

pepe pereira, z-clay and Big Red like this.
  2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

3. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One's on the Burst serial log the other's under me bed!!!!!:laugh2::thumb:

dixiethedog, rykus, lazz and 10 others like this.
  4. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

Oh by the way....mine is definitely not a replica!

I had an electrosonic jack socket fitted as I broke two plastic ones on my original replica....and couldn't be arsed doing it again.

I do realise it doesn't sound as good but I went for durability!!:D

Cookie-boy likes this.
  5. alexanderja

alexanderja Senior Member

Frank....... you kept this one quiet !

767400 and jacco like this.
  6. jacco

jacco Senior Member

What's the difference? Both are made with the intention to sell.

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

8. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

Some serious killer guitars here! The GT is Megasaurus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause::applause:

Here is mine

[​IMG]

rykus, jonas335, z-clay and 14 others like this.
  9. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

:applause::wow::applause:

Big Red likes this.
  10. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

Simply stunning! :wow:

11. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

Here’s a ‘one off’ custom build from a very small, custom maker in Japan; it may not be a “replica” & I don't call it one :cool:

it is a one off tho' ..................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pinefd, Big Red and BrianGT like this.
  12. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

You see that's my point.....is it a replica or a guitar based on a Les Paul?

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, in fact I don't see how they can be, and I'm sure it plays as well or better than any Gibson you have owned!

I went the replica or copy or facsimile route simply because in all these years I have never found the right Gibson........as simple as that.

Some STUNNING guitars in this thread!!:thumb:

13. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

Edwards Jr. DC

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. mono

mono Senior Member

there's gotta be a limit to what the word "replica" applies to...

producton-run Edwards do not fall under it, IMHO. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from that beautiful Junior (almost bought one a few months back), they are great gitfiddles, but I wouldn't personally describe one as a replica.

/rant

decoy205, BrazenPicker and jwinger like this.
  15. Big Red

Big Red Senior Member

lol - Is that possible? Could you provide some more details? (about the guitar).

And yours Frank - any more info, have you had your two long etc.?

Lots of nice pics of some really sweet guitars but any more info would be appreciated i.e. type of woods, pickups, why/how you came to buy a replica etc. - it's a subject I'm interested in at the moment. Probably as a result of reading Gil Yaron's build threads at the Telecaster forum, hence I'm very jealous of Ryan because I know almost exactly the research and work that went into his guitar. I'd love to be in a position to have Gil build me a replica!

N.B. I'd recommend Gil's ES 335 build thread - not quite as epic as the Les Paul one because there are many overlaps obviously (pickups, hardware etc.), but fascinating nonetheless with lots of cool info. It's got me gassing for an ES 335, my last semi-hollow body was a blonde Tokai ES 335 which I should never have let go.

16. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

Sure Big Red - there's a separate thread on mine :thumb:here

17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy Senior Member

some beautiful guitars here, i'm almost ashamed to show mine..
    there's a big nibble out one of the knobs, and she could do with a bit of a polish
    but it's my first Tokai, and i love it, so here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

I think some distinction between the various terminology describing a 'replica' should be established to avoid confusion. Here's how I see it...

LP Replica: An expertly crafted, luthier built re-creation of an original 1950's Les Paul model. Accurate specs, measurements, construction methods and selection of authentic looking, era-correct woods and materials. Meticulous recreation of parts and/or hardware in some cases, sophisticated aging techniques, correct vintage carves and routings. An affordable solution for those who may own (or had once owned) or who aspired to own an original Les Paul, but want one to enjoy, without the worry of being the custodian of a 'burst. For those who love vintage Golden-era 1950's Gibsons, it is as good as it gets, and sometimes so good you can at least convince yourself that you have a vintage original. In some respects a replica invariably could be a much better guitar than a vintage one.

LP Build: A custom made luthier built (or self built) rendition or emulation of a Les Paul 'concept'. May not be 100% anally accurate compared to a Replica, but certainly on a par with the build quality, attention to detail and build methods. Could be considered a 'custom ordered' guitar, with particular criteria laid down from the outset by the player to the builder - ie: specific neck profile, frets and so on. A player might prefer Mother Of Pearl inlays over Celluloid, or maybe a Limba body/neck with a Sycamore top. Gold hardware on a Standard. Whatever - fill your boots. The sky is the limit.

LP Copy: A MIJ, (or other) mass-produced, more affordable version of a Les Paul concept. Think Tokai, Orville, Burny, etc. Thanks to RyanC for pointing out below that there is a huge gap between well built MIJ (Tokai?) and 'other' Les Paul copies. Anyone remember CLS and Columbus copies? Bolt on necks! We players (young and forever young), are SOooo lucky today to have many more choices for obtaining a decent guitar - copies, custom builds and replicas alike.

A Fake: In most cases, a 'Replica' which has (either intentionally or unknowingly) been SOLD as an 'original' vintage instrument in the marketplace. Rarely will a replica be sold as an original by the primary owner. It usually degrades to this after 2 or more owners decide they need to make a fast buck and feel they can try to fool the world along the way. Not financially viable for the original builder, but probably the biggest ego and kudos-boost for them I would think!

I'll probably get shit loads of stick for this, but in reference to the OP - this is how I would distinguish the term 'replica' from being confused with a plethora of copies and imitations. I'm bound to have missed something from the above so feel free to add...

Cheers, fb.

rykus, decoy205, BrazenPicker and 5 others like this.
  19. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

^ I'd mostly agree with that - though I would clarify there is a huge gap between well built MIJ and "other" in the definition of LP Copies.

flameburst likes this.
  20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

+1. The good 'uns are really nice guitars. I'm still looking for an excuse to be GAS'ing for a top end Edwards. They're a beautiful thing.

Liam