Replica Les Pauls show em!!

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by fretboarder, Jul 25, 2011.

1. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

it isn't specifying a lot but my statement was a minimum IMO of what would be required

the reason I asked is, as I stated, everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what they consider to be a replica

I see there are replica builders making LP types with different species of lumber but one common theme seems to be ..........
    * 1 piece body back
    * 2 piece/center seam solid top
    * 1 piece neck

I would consider my Bacchus flame top, my 1 piece body back Bacchus LPs, my Combat Custom Guitars LP, and my LS-320 to be replicas but then then some others would not

to me it wouldn't matter if someone else considered any of those a replica becuase, they are all great guitars that meet my minimum requirement to be a replica but it really isn't a biggy for me

I was interested to see what the OP considers to be a replica

2. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

OK, for me all of the above and:

+ correct old-growth woods, plastics and metals
    + sticking meticulously to the original blueprint of whatever examplar you're copying

Once you start to deviate from that, might as well call Gibson's reissues replicas.

Anyway, that's one approach (inductive). Another approach (deductive) would be some kind of "urban dictionary" definition of replica --- not how you elaborately define it using reason, but by observing commonalities in how the word is being used in practice. If you do it that way, it seems a "replica" is a copy (with various compromises in materials and/or minor deviations in appointments to reflect the user's preferences) built by an independent builder. That's more or less what I'm expecting when I look through the classifieds here and see the word in the title. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing the word "replica" in the context of companies, be it Gibson, Bacchus, Navigator, Tokai... so the way the word seems to be used usually involves independent builders.

3. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

It's one of these!!:D

[​IMG]

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

Liam .......fabulous pics of a fabulous guitar! Think very long and very hard before you let that go.....no matter what is ahead!!:)

Cookie......great replica amongst those Jnrs!!

I would love to play one of those........they just SOUND awesome from the pics!!!:D

5. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

Now thats what im talking about!

Those "italian job" ( are we calling them that?) les pauls are what i consider amongst others to be a true replica.

I dont know if i could let a guitar like that out my sight never mind trade up.

Thanks for making my G.A.S worse lol.

saxosim and rykus like this.
  6. dazzypig

dazzypig Senior Member

I'm currently in the process of saving for one of Tom Bartlett's kits. That dude's a genius.

7. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Liking your 59 replica Liam ! Aging was not overdone, great materials used, very tasteful.

I think an important requirement not mentioned so far is:
    Original build techniques.
    It's a big reason people go to the trouble and expense of finding skilled luthiers with a grasp of original hand build techniques and use of original materials in the first place. Use of Hide glue, old growth wood, old nitro formulation finishes and all other areas that modern LP making companies have had to compromise in (to meet their volume requirements, bottom line costs and current materials regulations) are what separate LP copies from LP replicas in my mind. It's also a reason many here value 30+ year old high end guitars over modern ones. They were closer to replicas, spec wise, than modern LP copies are, hand built in small volumes and generally sounding and looking more genuine as a result. Historics and high end vintage MIJ copies currently cost close to what replicas start at, which is the reason for growth in the replica market.

I'm not slamming modern mass produced guitars. I own some that are 30+ years old and some that are just a few years old, and there are jewels in both categories.
    A few small MIJ companies still hand build LP's. Prices reflect the extra time involved and better material used.

Back to the pictures :)

8. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Thanks for all the complements. I have always been in awe of guitars made by the "Italian Job", owning a guitar he has made is an honour and a privilege.

Ages ago someone rather sarcastically asked if OTPG pickups made me play better - and the answer is yes, yes, yes; same with vintage Gibsons; same with that '59 replica. You sometimes have to work a little harder to get where you want, but once you do, just fantastic!

I'd agree with that, but so many of the "skilled" people haven't gone to the time and trouble of learning how the guitars were put together, and consequently don't get the right materials in the right places. The common one being hide glue when Gibson didn't use it for all the joins. And OK, I know I can be accused of being a cork-sniffer, but getting all the details right can't make them sound anything less like a 50's Les Paul. I don't think it's any coincidence that the two (maybe three) UK guitar makers that are generally considered to make the very finest replicas have an awful lot of experience of repairing vintage Gibsons.

As for the "One piece solid back, two piece centre seam solid top, one piece neck" argument - I've got a Tokai Breezysound flame-top Telecaster copy that according to that is a Les Paul Replica. I think that someone has defined a copy rather than a replica there - but you'd need to add "shaped roughly like a Gibson Les Paul".

Replica for me means a close or exact copy, so nothing mass produced by Gibson or anyone else that I know of. The things that need so be right for me are:

1. Form - needs to be the right shape, have the right colours, and the right look. I'd agree something can be a replica and not have a realistic top-carve or neck shape - but it's not a replica that would interest me. If I want something slightly off, there always the Historic Collection.

2. Function - needs to feel, sound and play like a 50s Gibson.

3. Materials - I'm not sure about "old-growth" being important as I've never seen the provenance of all the logs, but I do know that my 50's Gibsons feel different to modern ones. Some of it's the finish, some of it's the wood density. The best replicas use the right materials so they feel a bit more like an old one.

4. Build - believe it or not, if you pick up most 50's Les Pauls and give them a quick setup, they play better than anything you'll find hanging on a music shop wall nowadays. They were really well put together guitars, right up in the PRS league for being able to set low action, perfect intonation, truss rods that do exactly what you expect... A replica needs to have that sort of build quality to suit my needs.

Thread hijack over - but that's my cork-sniffing definition of a replica!

Liam

SoloDallas and fretboarder like this.
  9. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Thank you Liam. Very well put. I wouldn't consider your Tokai Breezysound Tele a Les Paul replica either :)

We can go circles around here about what a true "replica" is but one thing that should not be debated when making that distinction is whether or not the builder intended to actually copy an original '59 Les Paul. All the MIJ brands have made attempts over the years to replicate the aesthetic that makes the '59 LP the holy grail of guitars. However, they didn't use exact measurements, made little attempt to mirror original build practices, and took creative liberties to save time and money (such as finishes, specs, you name it). These are not replicas at all. Just great guitars inspired by the original.

Now luthiers like the creator of the Italian Job guitars have made every effort to copy exact details and build practices in an effort to create an exact replica of the original. The only thing stopping it from being completely authentic is usually lack of knowledge and materials.

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

I think a lot of issues and lines get blurred when trying to define what is a replica.

I don't own a 59 LP and never will and I aren't trying to fool anyone else in to thinking I do own one......least of all myself!:)

cmcgov likes this.
  11. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

Y A R O N
    There is no substitute.

[​IMG]

12. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

No point defining it - it's a personal thing I think. All I can say is what it means to me.

Hehe - got one of those - slightly too many cutaways and lacks a maple cap, but a '59 LP all the same...:naughty:

[​IMG]

Liam

dixiethedog, Louie, mojotop and 2 others like this.
  13. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

That's a beautiful Junior! GREAT colour!:thumb:

I would love a DC Junior.......maybe I'll have to get one made! :naughty:

14. plainburst

plainburst Senior Member

Beautiful replicas!

The builder behind Liam's is a true MASTER! He is also great company and does a killer Peter Green impression! :)

15. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Sweet ! Any full shots of the back Ryan ?

16. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

Nowadays I'm playing this more than I played with my todger as a teenager...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my opinion this instrument encompasses all that should be a '59 Les Paul Standard... the looks, feel and sound. It amazes, surprises and above all inspires me more each day with my playing.

17. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Keep the pics coming! Beautiful guitars. Thank you!

18. 767400

767400 Senior Member

19. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

You all have supererb instruments, congratulations.

Instead of using the word replica, which I feel is king of an insult to the luthier, let's use the words hand made recreation, with super attention to detail and love.

There is a huge difference with a production line instrument and a custom build from a luthier and that difference is called The Dead Line.

My desire is to try and build one from scratch with local woods, I would love that.

20. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

I think my guitar is a replica of your replica :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

dixiethedog, jonas335, z-clay and 4 others like this.