replacement tuners for sg

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by meatclown, Aug 30, 2009.

1. meatclown

meatclown Member

I have a faded sg special...

trying to maintain the aesthetic, how are these? or should I go with locking grovers (and/or sperzels)

[​IMG]

Grover Deluxe Keystones at Stewart-MacDonald

2. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

I replaced the stock tuners on my 61 RI with these and they are 100 TIMES better. You won't be disappointed !

3. XKnight

XKnight Senior Member

Are your stock tuners broken? If not, why are you replacing them? If it's due to a lack of tuning stability, that's probably being caused by a poorly cut nut or improperly installed strings as opposed to the stock tuners. Tuners themselves are rarely the problem.

If you're dead set on replacing the tuners I would recommend some locking tuners with a higher tuning ratio than the stock ones. This will allow for easier and quicker string changes and better tuning accuracy. Just don't buy any tuners that require new holes to be drilled.

4. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Completely agree......................

5. meatclown

meatclown Member

One of the tuners is broken. Since I have to replace one, I figure why not all, and why not upgrade. replacing the nut might be a good idea, though I've had the guitar over a year and have never really had tuning issues.

too bad they don't make locking tuners with the keystone keys.

6. stephen78

stephen78 Senior Member

Are there any locking tuners that are direct replacements and do not need holes drilled? Thinking about doing this to my SG as well...