Replacement tuners for R0 Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Mark1406, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mark1406

Mark1406 Senior Member

Hi

Years ago when I bought my R0 secondhand it came with Gotoh locking tuners with Uncle Lou tips.

Initially I wondered why someone would put locking tuners on a Les Paul, as I didn't think there would be any benefit and changing strings would be more difficult.

Over the years, this has been the case, undoing the locking screws and doing them up has more of an inconvenience than a benefit.

There are many options for L.P. tuners though I have ruled out Grovers as I don't like the look of them. As far as I know this leaves Kluson. Gotoh, TonePros and Montreux.

There have been reports that the Kluson tuners are junk, but the Klusons on my Strat have been on the guitar for more than 10 years without an issue. If someone has had an issue I'd like to know. The main attraction with Kluson is that they were the original tuners on the early Les Paul's.

The Gotoh tuners come with a good reputation and have worked well on the R0, they are cheaper than Kluson tuners too. There is the Montreux (Gotoh) option which is supposed to be historically accurate but dear as poison, any thoughts on these?

The last option is looking for remaining stock of Kluson style TonePros tuners, I've not had any experience with them nor have I played a guitar with them fitted.

Any thoughts or recommendations on replacing the locking tuners?

Regards

Mark

2. jamman

jamman Premium Member

IMO , you seem to state what you already like ... If I'm swapping tuners , or a better type . It would always be Grover's . Since you don't like those, the Klusons type are good .
    Since I'm no familiar with your guitar's tuners or if the tuner hole was drilled out , much depends on what mods you might be willing to do . if at all .... The only other I recall are "Sperzel" but , not many use them for whatever reason .. I think because of it's offset mounting screw on the back .... IIRC those are German and should be very good quality . But I don't know 1st. hand

Or you could Send me your R0 and I'll fix'er up good for ya . :lol:
    I'm an R0 Lover , I'll take good care of her :laugh2:

3. DanD

DanD Senior Member

4. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Grovers

5. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Schaller Grandtune´╝č

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are grover tuners that look like Klusons with the tulip buttons.
    But it all depends on whether the current tuners have resulted in enlarged headstock holes. Once you know what is going on with that then you can better decide on your options.

7. Mark1406

Mark1406 Senior Member

Thanks for your assistance, I appreciate you taking time to assist me.