Replacement top hat knobs for 2016 R8?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by GazzaBloom, Jan 1, 2018.

1. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

My 2016 R8 knobs sit very high off the body. There is no real scope to put washers cavity side of the pots as there is very little thread available for the nuts as it is. It appears that the pot shaft length is too long, or the knob holes aren't deep enough. (No pun intended ladies!)

Is there a suitable aftermarket replacement knob that will sit more flush to the body that you can recommend?

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Pics?

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

4. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Pics of how high your R8's knobs are would really help. Any different knobs would have the same shaft depth I believe.

Pappy58 likes this.
  5. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

Here's a pic showing the gap:

OI6jceK.jpg

6. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

That height looks normal for a Historic. I'm not aware of any aftermarket knobs that would be drilled deeper. I think you might be better off putting some washers or something on the control cavity side of your pots to make them stick out less, but still have enough thread for the nut to be able to bite.

7. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I agree. It doesn't look too far off. They don't sit as flush as USA.

8. DanD

DanD Senior Member

I've found that my knobs aren't all completely seated on some of my newer Gibson's. Appears they quit 'hammering' them home. Not nearly as many cracked knobs tho.

If you pull the control cavity cover and support the back of the pot with one hand and apply force to the same knob with the other you'll get a bit of seating on some knobs.

Looks like the highest knob in the foreground needs the nut raised on the shaft. Thin pot washers in the control cavity will help there.

I slightly warm my knobs before installation. Makes it very easy to completely seat them. ;)

Kris Ford and GitFiddle like this.
  9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

That wouldn't bother me any. I'd be more concerned with adding a second thumbwheel to that bridge post (but even that isn't a real concern).

10. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Senior Member

DanD likes this.
  11. One-Eyed Jack

One-Eyed Jack Junior Member

Look again, I can see a lot of bushing threads in your image. BTW, I have at least one LP that has elevated knobs like yours and have never thought about lowering them. The suggestion to heat the knobs sounds like the first thing to try, if you're bothered by the height.

12. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

Thanks for the replies guys. As I have been looking at the knobs closely lately I have now noticed thet they are all have crack lines showing inside! No idea how this has happened as the guitar has never been out of the house and is always hanging up. The knobs have never been removed. They work fine and the crack isn't through to the top but I can see 2 or 3 crack lines inside each one.

I may well get some replacements now.

13. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

It's pretty normal actually. The cracks.

DanD likes this.