Replacement Pickups for SG Special

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Jazzmaster, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Jazzmaster

Jazzmaster Junior Member

I have a 2010 Gibson SG Special. I like it, but the pickups aren't winning me over. They get a bit muddy and undefined when I add gain. I tend to add a lot of gain and play heavy rock bordering on metal. I'm looking for pickups that can handle gain but stay defined. I'm not looking to go the active route.
    So what are my best options? Please keep in mind I'm in South Korea so many boutique brands may be impossible for me to purchase.
    Thanks.

2. JLT73

JLT73 Senior Member

I recently tried (and I'm keeping) Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinet combo. I really love the clarity and note definition when gain is really added.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Are the pickups the 490 R/T combo? I would suggest replacing the wiring harness first. I did that with one of my SG specials and it really opened up the stock pickups and gave them a great T-Top quality

Rhust and Kris Ford like this.
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I agree..I'd use 500K..and it REALLY opens them up.

In fact, my '76 SG is set up this way as well..and I use 490s and get a GREAT high gain tone from my modded JMP.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

From your description, a Jazz/Custom combo would work great, and should be some of the more available pickups in your area.