Repainting the top with a solid color in the UK?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Andy California, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Suppose, I have a flamed maple top Les Paul type guitar with lacquer finish, and I'd like to convert it to a GoldTop (or a solid BlueTop :)). Could you guyes please recommend me a luthier to do that in the UK? And what could I expect to pay for that, roughly?

2. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Well, trying to put a price on it is hard because of people being in different areas will charge different rates.

I mean, Clive Brown isn't going to come cheap -as he shouldn't- and someone like Chandlers or Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience won't either, because they're in London.

Email Damien Probett Guitars. I'm not sure if he does his own now but IIRC he had a well known refinisher do his, only I can't recall who it was.

3. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Thanks for the names, Open_Book.
    I understand what you mean about the prices being different in different parts of the country, but I'm just curious what sort of money we are talking about. 1000? 500? 200? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth to repaint my "spare" guitar or better just sell it :)

4. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

AFAIK Damien does repair work. Email him and he'll get you in the ballpark. The price depends on the color, too - I don't know anyone that does a stock price for a plain color compared to a metallic/candy finish because its more work and the materials are dearer.

Just ring one of these places for a quote - if you plan to sell it I'd just sell it.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gu...0...1.1.34.heirloom-serp..0.6.451.328QhLp3wI4

5. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

If it's a "spare" just sell it and use the money to buy a goldtop if you want one. It'll end up being much cheaper and your end guitar will retain it's value better as no matter how well the refin is done it'll still reduce the guitars value.

6. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa Member

Where in the UK are you located? I would have thought around £200-£250 would be a ballpark figure.

7. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

I don't think it'll be that cheap

The time it takes to strip a guitar is bloody hours then prepping for a goldtop is another thing, it has to be perfect

I'm just painting a goldtop now and it's not a fast finish if it's nitro

I've heard Clive Brown can take 18months if it's aged too

Damien did one too that looked really good