Removing weight from my Les Paul

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by viking20, Feb 11, 2017.

1. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

This is a thread about removing weight from my Les Paul. Didnt take any pictures along the way , as I didnt plan to write about it.

But , there are many threads different places on the web where people ask about putting a Les Paul on a diet. Most of the threads gets filled up with the usual " not worth it " , " man up !" , " use helium in the control cavity " etc...
    Also , the threads quickly starts being more about tone changes.

Its also very hard to find out about the weight of individual parts , even from vendors. I will list all the weights I measured along the way.....

I could easily play the guitar as it was , but , we mod stuff , dont we ?
    The mods I did were all done with the weight in mind ,not tone , you decide if you want to do something like it to your guitar.

The Guitar : A 2005 Les Paul Studio , in a wonderful yellow color , was originally white , with ebony fretboard. Not used much , did the usual setup to my liking , levelled the frets etc. It was a bit heavier than my other Studios at 9.3 pounds , or 4255 grams.

Removing weight takes a lot of work , but I guess I have a bit of experience from racing vehicles where you are used to getting rather big results from all the different small things you can do.

The parts , and some of the work , hardware :

Removing the pickguard and pu covers is a no brainer. Apart from that , an alu tailpiece , lighter bridge and studs can be bought. The 2005 model uses a grounding/assembly plate in the control cavity , this was removed , and new CTS pots were mounted directly , as in the old days.

I used a Pinnacle Aluminum Nashville bridge , couldnt find many bridges in Alu out there. It cost a bit of money , but the one on the guitar was one of the rattly ones , didnt feel solid.

I used locking studs for both bridge and tailpiece , like Faber. Extra locking collars are provided with the locking ABR bridge I used on a different guitar.I needed metric they were inch.

No biggie to run a 4 mm tap through there , free locking collars. I used the Faber threaded studs , these are sold seperately. You tap the old holes from the Nashville studs with an 8 mm tap.

On the tailpiece , I used alu bolts , and removed the usual ring , so that I could lock the tailpiece. I already had some of the rings in different heights laying around from earlier , these are also sold seperately. Since I topwrap , not that important anyway.

My goal was to remove half a pound ( 222 grams ) just taking away stuff , or use lighter parts.

Mr. Beef, rlefty and Who like this.
  2. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Weights , and comments : ( BTW , 1 pound is 454 gr , one ounce is 28.375 gr )

Pickguard : 29 grams , with bracket and screw
    Tailpiece : 90 grams , Faber alu tailpiece 28 grams.
    Tailpice studs : 30 grams , alu studs from Crazyparts Germany , 9 grams
    Nasville bridge : 53 grams , Pinnacle alu 21 grams
    Nashville studs :18 grams , Faber 8mm/4mm studs 20 grams
    Jackplate : Steel 9 grams , plastic 1 gram
    Grounding/assembly plate pots : 37 grams
    4 Stock pots , incl a ****load of nuts/washers : 107 grams
    4 CTS brass pots with long threads , star and normal washer/nut : 80 grams
    Switch : 27 grams
    Neck 490 r , 160 grams , without cover and a few holes drilled in the baseplate feet , rounding of corners etc : minus 25 grams
    Bridge 498 : 155 grams , wo cover and same surgery as above :127 grammes , removed 33 grams
    Covers alone : neck 20 grammes , bridge 22 grammes
    Pu magnets : 18 grammes ( too bad we kinda need them , LOL )
    Knobs : Speed knobs : 21 grams , Top Hat 10 grams

I was surprised that the stock plate in the control cavity weighed 37 grams , and that the stock pots and all the nuts/washers came in at 107 grams.

Some material removed on both pu´s , holes drilled in the part leading down to the feet , corners rounded off. The lip along the maple spacers were halved with a metal scissor.

I changed magnets to a4/a8 at the same time.No big job on the pu baseplates , pretended to listen to the Wife while doing this , and sipping red wine , LOL..

Didnt shorten the adjustment screws , or the pole piece screws. They are rather heavy , and extend far below the baseplate so a few grammes could be saved. Experts say it has an impact on the magnetic field ( good or bad ) , so maybe at a later time.

Note that the Pinnacle bridge comes with 5 mm holes for the posts , and you have to use the supplied brass studs , your oem studs are only 4 mm. The supplied ones screw into your oem Nashville bushings in the guitar. As I used Faber studs and locking collars , it fit my purpose perfectly. The Faber studs are meant for an ABR bridge , and the lockers are 5 mm od.

Result : Minus 262 grammes , or 9.2 ounces , by swapping or removing parts.

3. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Wood removal :

Its not easy to remove wood , without doing serious wood work and/or doing paint.
    I put a lot of thought into this , and knew from the start that the results would be modest.

There are probably many people as well who wouldnt dream of attempting this , either because of the value of the instrument , or fear of screwing up.

But , my guitar arent worth much , and me no scared , LOL :

There arent that many choices , the only acces for drilling straight in to the body is the output jack hole. This is where pics would be really helpfull , but if you look at the x ray pics of Les Pauls with weight relieve holes ( this is a 2005 ) you will probably get it.

Dremel work was done in the control cavity , mostly to blend the shape from the jack hole into the cavity. This is nesseccary to get an angle on the drill.

In the cavity , a 22 mm hole was drilled through the jackhole , behind the Gibson holes furthest back in the body , 5 centimeters in at the most.

22 mm hole was drilled along the cable channel near the outside of the body.
    3 19 mm holes were drilled about 20 mm into the body at an angle from outside the cavity , towards the bridge/tailpiece.
    In the pickup cavities , two 22 mm holes drilled in the floor , to about half the depth of the holes for the pu feet.

In each pu rout , you have the cable channel at one of the ends. In the other end of the cavity , 19 mm holes were drilled at an angle towards the outside.
    In the neck pickup rout , one 10 mm hole drilled at an angle towards the neck , in the bridge pu rout 3 holes were drilled at an angle towards the rear , between the bridge posts.

Result : nearly 3 ounces removed ( 83 grams ). If you want to go north of 100 grams , it takes some serious effort , and some rather special drilling equipment.

You could also go further than I did with the depth of holes towards outer edges etc , but it isnt easy work , for SURE !

End result :Guitar now weighs 3910 grammes or 8.6 pounds. Started out at 4255 grams , or 9.3 pounds.

Worth it ?

Some will think the result is laughable , some will find the result is decent.

Anyway , it was fun !

Tone ?

Tone is fine , its a Les Paul. Its got a lot of Zing , and feels really alive !!

4. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

That's a pretty substantial result.

Well done.

5. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

That's a very good result. I just bought a 3" wide strap and that made a nice difference in the way the weight of my Les Paul feels. The guitar feels lighter.

I have an Epiphone ES335 copy that is heavy and I have been thinking of how to reduce the weight on it. The neck is beefy and could use a shaving and the pickup cavity routes could be drilled deeper. An aluminum tailpiece would also help.

6. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Sure , its important to have a good strap , bass players also know this. A lot of basses are really heavy....
    What surprised me the most was that the pots and plate added up to over two ounces of weight. It could be even more , if converted to short pots. Gradually shaving the cavity from the inside should also allow you to eliminate the extra , heavy brass nut underneath , plus brass threads reduced from 3/4 inch length to 3/8 should save a bit as well........I thought about it , but didnt have any on hand.....there are also some excellent mini pots available. Also more modern sealed types , rather expensive , but I couldnt find any with decent values......Every saving here is multiplied by 4 , so it adds up...

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Funny.

As in I was just last week watching a Joe Bonamassa video where he talks about his 59 'skinnerburst'. It weighs 9lbs 2 oz.

8. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

I would say, if the result is pleasing to you, all that work makes it even more your guitar. That is a win in my book. :thumb:

9. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Sure it is .....Funny , I mean :)

I have a few other things I could try , and maybe I will later. There is no real reason for me not to play a guitar that weighs 9.3 pounds , as I said from the beginning .

Its just that my other two Les Pauls weigh 8 pounds each , then there is a difference to be felt.

I wouldnt dream of looking at light hardware for any of them. I certainly dont need a Les Paul that weighs 7 pounds , some might like that , though...

I have two identical Telecasters , everything is the same , color etc. They where bought at the same time , only difference is 1.2 pounds in weight , 8.0 vs 9.2 pounds.

Without even thinking about it , I always pick up the lighter one , the other one is hardly ever used.

BTW , the Studio really performs with the mods that were done , it plays great , and the a4/8 magnet combo feels great in the 490/498 pu´s

Will update this , if I do other stuff to the guitar

10. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

I had a Gretsch Double Jet that was super heavy, it was an import. Mahogany with maple cap, bigsby and those metal buttons Gretsch uses, it was ridiculously heavy.

I ended up routing a huge control cavity and added an additional volume control, to my surprise the guitar had weight relief holes. I gave up and sold it the thing was exactly 10 pounds, I did not like to play it even sitting down.

I have a P-Bass copy that clocks at 10 pounds 3oz, that's getting sold too. heavy guitars are simply a turn off to me and one pound away from the sweet spot is not worth it to me.

11. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

Levi Padded strap, even with 3 shoulder surgeries, I can play for hours (4hr longest) with the 8.6# R9 & TradProII. I can't use it on the ESLP because it makes it feel too light. Heck a lot cheaper and easier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XPO2R4/?tag=mylespaul04-20

I got turned onto them when got a M&G with my GitHero's 9#4oz R9
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  12. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

This is a great thread. Viking20, how much weight difference did the baseplate modifications (not including the covers) make?

I wonder if someone makes a lighter weight humbucker.

13. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

So now I'm looking all over the place for lightweight humbuckers. I can't seem to find anyone using aluminum for baseplates. All I can find are the lace alumitones.

14. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

15. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Interesting , indeed........I looked in to just making my own baseplates , and even found some alu plate at work. Remember , that alu wont take solder , if you decide to use covers.....I removed 5 and 8 grams from the baseplates BTW
    Havent done anything more to the LP but play it , its a great guitar.......Ive got some new CTS mini pots for it , I have never seen these before. They are equal in quality to the normal diameter 450 series , the ones that people call 550k pots.....These would shave of more than 50 grams , or almost two ounces compared to normal sized long shaft pots

16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

My '76 Deluxe weighs the EXACT same.

17. rlefty

rlefty Premium Member

Also funny is that there are various videos of Joe B where he states that a guitar is a particularly good one "because it's a light one."

18. staffy

staffy Senior Member

It may be a bit of a stretch but what if you band sawed the back off it then routered the guts out of the body to your hearts content then reglued the back on with a filler piece to make up for the saw cut? Hell you could have that sucker without a single scap of sawdust that didn't need to be there, you could even do the same to the neck ala BFG ! I've actually thought of doing this to an el cheapo.

19. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

Not a stretch as such , but probably a bit radical for most people with a guitar they paid money for.
    I also doubt many would remove wood at all from say , a heavy Norlin Les Paul. On something like my cheap-ish Studio I dont really care about removing some wood , when it cant been seen.
    It would be possible to remove around a pound from a Norlin just by removing/changing hardware , and completely reversible. Many of them have extra shielding in the body , and off course many have heavy tuners as well

20. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I carefully considered this, looked at the number of LPs I have, thought carefully about your work and the expense involved, and decided to order a 6 pound headless Kiesel VM7.