Remember 9-11-01

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarGal, Sep 11, 2007.

1. waynesmith

waynesmith Senior Member

You are very wise and forgiving GG..

2. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

Thanks~ :)

3. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

may God destroy americas enemys !!!! i understan forgivness but in the bible God says in leviticus eye for and eye tooth for a tooth and life for a life. that is wat God has to say . does anyone agree with me we shouldnt pull out of iraq. im a conservative :thumb:

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

Should there be coalition forces in Iraq? For now I think the simple answer is yes.

The Iraqi authorities were pretty much completely incapacitated/dismantled by the coalition. Considerable areas of infrastructure (power stations, electrical distribution, water supply systems, roads, bridges etc..) were also destroyed by the coalition forces. Of course this was nominally necessary to shorten the war.

Prior to that of course the Iraqi people were subjected to decades of brutal abuse by Sadaam's regime, causing deep rooted hatred between the various social and religious factions.

These factors are the basic fuel behind the current social difficulties and with a bit of 'help' from some of their more radical anti-western neighbours and extreme fundamentalist religious leaders, the situation is extremely difficult.

Rebuilding a functional social fabric in a post-war Iraq was always going to be a long and difficult task. It's a pity no-one was able to figure this out before going in there.

I FULLY support our troops in Iraq, and believe that they should only come home when the Iraqis can properly manage their own affairs. However, I am of the view that our forces should not have been sent into Iraq in the first place. The legality of the war/invasion is at best tenuous.

Bush and Blair were perhaps in a tough position and possibly felt that they would rather take the responsibility for doing something than take the blame for doing nothing. Nevertheless I can't help thinking that Bush was trying to emulate his father and 'finish the job'. Meanwhile it seems that Blair wanted a Thatcherite 'Falklands success' (and I use these words advisedly) as part of his legacy. In short, I think both of them wanted to create their own little piece of history.

As for God, I think an eye for an eye is not particularly appropriate here. As I understand it, the evidence linking Iraq to 9-11 is pretty weak. Otherwise why are all the interns still in Guatanamo instead of being tried, convicted and jailed or if found not guilty, released? I should add that I do not wish to see terrorists released to cause deat and destruction. But being held without trial for extended periods is not typically tolerated, for example many US citzens were pretty scathing when the brits introduced internment in Northern Ireland in the ealry 70's.

Oh, and I'm a conservative too, just a bit older than you is all..

5. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Geejay i agree when iraq can support itself we can leave

6. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

Never Forgotten, as well as all off our POW/MIA's from all the wars, bring them home or send us back !!!!!! Semper Fi