Relicing Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMT Guitars, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Hold On, thats my position here! I don't like coming second - ask my wife...

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

My apologies for derailing your thread :)

3. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

No problem dude no harm done.

4. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hey JMT,

I really don't know the answer to your question, but if you play it, there's the risk of ruining a "perfect relic." But since it's not the original, and you probably don't know what the original looks like today, then why not just let nature take it's course. Any clear coat will look like clear coat, even satin or flat, so nude is probably the way to go!

My favorite relic (and I'm not really a relic fan) is posted over at TDPRI, the Gilmour Workmate Telecaster built by "motor_city_tele," I read through the thread again, and I don't think he put anything on it after the relic job. Take a peek, and see what I mean ...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/completed-motor_city_tele-2014-build-challenge-gilmour-workmate.467557/

(@Skyjerk , don't look at the head-blob!! ;) )

5. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thats pretty amazing, actually, headblob notwithstanding. :)
    I'm neither a fan of tele's or relicing but damn.
    I can certainly appreciate the skill if not the actual product.

The guy had some really funny commentary too, and for crap sake, that pumpkin was incredible :)

charisjapan likes this.
  6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Depends on what your definition of "relicing" is?

There's a huge difference between "well-aged", and "beat to shit". Finding a happy medium between the two is probably harder than either one.

As for "protecting"/"preserving" the aftermath - I would assume, that simple routine maintinence/cleaning would suffice?

I have a couple of 40+yo, well-aged guitars, that I play around with regularly, and I treat them the same as I do my newer guitars. The finishes have held up pretty well.