Relicing Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMT Guitars, Sep 18, 2017.

1. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Hey all,

So I have been wondering about relicing on guitars and how to do it and it seems there are many ways to make it look like crap. My question is, once you have got it crap-ed to your liking, how do you keep it in the state of crap without bits flaking off where you don't want it and changing the crap level from just right crap to too crap?

basically, say you were doing a Rory Gallagher strat or SRV's no1 or something, once to have it EXACTLY how you want it to look, you don't want the lacquer to start coming off again because of the work done replicating the original. Do you clear coat it? Or does it just stay put? I have never reliced anything so forgive the ignorance, I think relicing guitars that aren't copies of already existing guitars is stupid ("original" relic jobs, as in, not copies of famous guitars, are just a statement) but I am planning the Tony Iommi Old Boy replica and possibly an SRV/Rory Gallagher strat- I can't decide.

Cheer's folks.

Who likes this.
  2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Don't play it.

Better yet, choose a spot in the artist's career to build your replica. Then, spend the next years continuing the job.

Build this:
    [​IMG]

Rock it to this:

[​IMG]

Build this:
    [​IMG]

Play it until it looks like this (same guitar):
    [​IMG]

Bemis, pshupe and cooljuk like this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well.......I think most people only want a head-start.
    And if you are the sort that likes the worn look anyhow then a few scratches extra is not going to matter.

And if in the end it gets beyond the pale......its not much to re-do. Lets face it you are not doing a refin on an 'original' finish.

cooljuk likes this.
  4. JMT Guitars

well, considering the guitar in question;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is no way I can rock that hard!
    Is there now way to keep it looking like that without just not playing it? Not even a matte clear?

5. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

Alot of it is overdone imo apart from a few real heavy players ones

That sg looks like it's had a blow torch on it, good luck making that look good on a new build

I give my guitars to a pro player now for some honest wear first

6. JMT Guitars

The story behind it is that it was originally meant to be a jet black hi-gloss lacquer but it was built for Tony in a rush and was shipped out to South America while the lacquer hadn't cured properly, and was left in a humid caravan where the lacquer flaked off. It was kind of the original faked relic job!

Kris Ford likes this.
  7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

The Old Boy's finish is a result of a hasty paint job and being in a trunk of car in South America..then played to hell and back..it was never a pristine finish to begin with..so you could (and should!) start with a thick and bubbly finish.

Who likes this.
  8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

LOL..as I was typing..you had answered..LOL

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Get it where you want it and put it behind glass and don't let people take plash photos of it etc etc. Clearly if you want an exact replica of one guitar as it existed one time, you do not want to play it or take it out, correct? I'm sorry but this seems like a strange question. Most people want to relic a guitar to make it look like it has been "played and mistreated". After the relicing they are not worried about it being "played and mistreated".

Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

10. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Regardless of how it got that way, I wouldn't wipe my ass with that butt-ugly POS.
    If someone gave it to me I'd burn it and put it out of my misery :)

11. JMT Guitars

Wow Skyjerk I guess there is no accounting for taste eh? To be fair I feel the same way with Van Halen's franken strat and Jimi Hendrix's flowercaster so go figure XD

Who likes this.
  12. JMT Guitars

Yeah I guess, I mean I'd want to play it but I'd feel kinda grumpy if I had spent a crap ton of time replicating the finish as exact as possible to the original and then a massive chunk comes off and suddenly it is no longer as exact so the work was for nothing.

13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

LOL. If we all liked exactly the same stuff it would be a very boring world :)

Who and JMT Guitars like this.
  14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Some are able to let things they don't like pass them by without the need for disdainful comment though.

15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Lol. Thats a pretty funny rebuke coming from you :)

16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its just sad that mine are tame by comparison to yours.

For example you entering any thread about a Tele merely to report your view on how ugly it is. I don't stoop to that level.

17. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

won't be long before we'll need to put some more sand in the sandbox:)

JMT Guitars likes this.
  18. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

If you do the finish right it will be years before you wear it past its intended look.

SG Lou built an Old Boy replica that got the thumbs up from Tony. Search for it, or you could message him directly.

19. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Dude, you clearly don't get me at all.

My comments are jokes. Yours aren't. That's a very big difference.
    Remarks of that sort are made intentionally with humor. Everyone knows I bust on tele's and nobody takes it the wrong way, except apparently for you.

The comment about the SG was intentionally over the top because the "relicing" is over the top and it's also not the work of anyone on this forum.

OTOH, "disdain" might actually be your middle name. You don't make jokes. Instead you actually belittle and talk down to people that have a different opinion and act as if your opinion is fact.

even I don't stoop that low :)

You need to lighten up.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  20. JMT Guitars

OKAY KIDS pissing contest over. That's enough. Skyjerk's joke was funny and I took it as a joke. As he said, it takes all sorts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I actively maintain the opinion we should have the right to insult each other (within reason). Lets keep personal stuff for somewhere else, keep the topics here to guitars?

Fair enough, I have never reliced anything before so I have no idea how fragile it is. I have religiously studied SGlou's stuff (before photobucket f*cked every forum on the internet) and I have tried messaging him directly, no response though :(

fatdaddypreacher likes this.