Refretting: what size fretwire do you guys like?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by gianni_boy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. gianni_boy

gianni_boy Senior Member

It's time to refret my 68 SG Standard.....who here has refretted their vintage SGs and what size wire do you guys like on the SGs?
    Interested in the jescar 47x95 or the stewmac 100x50.....good choices?? I like a vintage style wire with alittle more beef....also I dont want to plain the fretboard so I might have to take that into consideration and get a higher fret incase the board isn't level.
    Thanks

2. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

I get my stuff from Philadelphia Luthier supply. I like the Jescar 47095 which is, oddly enough .095"x .047".
    It's medium jumbo.
    I wouldn't call it "vintage" under any circumstances... even with the modifier "with a little more beef."
    It comes pre-radiused and cut in pieces.
    Sometimes I'll go a little wider if it's ugly under where the old fret was and I want to cover that up.
    Really, though...it's all personal preference.
    This is why people aren't answering your question.
    It's like the guitar equivalent of "How deep is a hole?"
    Or, "What string gauge should I use?"

3. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

I like and have had good results using 6105 wire.

It's a personal preference thing really, but i prefer a taller fret wire but don't want to go into railroad tie territory as with 6100's.

6105's are tall and narrow .095" x .047"
    They make bending easier and still retain a comfortable ability to slide into notes.

4. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

I use the jescar frets they use on historics - it's a nice medium jumbo that works equally well for lead and rhythm IME.