Refretting my 2004 'ToneQuest' Goldtop: Jescar FW45100 or FW47104SS?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by onlyrockrocks, Sep 23, 2014.

1. onlyrockrocks

onlyrockrocks Senior Member

Hi everybody,

I'm on to the next step to finish my 2004 R4 'ToneQuest' Goldtop. This time it's about the frets as this guitar definitely will need a refret job.

I'm torn between Jescar FW45100 and FW47104SS wire. What do you think? What are your experiences?
    I tried to do everything as vintage correct as possible, but maybe stainless steel frets would be a uprgrade regarding playability, longevity and intonation with (hopefully) no change in great vintage tone at all?

Thanks and Kind Regards!

PS: FS47095 is another wire I thought about...

2. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

I had dunlop 6105 (tall but narrow) stainless steel frets done on my R9 and my Orville LPC last year. Gonna have it done on my Gibby LPC soon as well. THE shit if you ask me, no turning back.

3. tdarian

tdarian Premium Member

I made the exact change that you are talking about, from the stock Jescar FW45100 to Jescar SS FW47104.

These frets will feel a bit different from each other dispite the fact that the actual dimensions are close to identical. The FW47104 will have a much "sharper" feel compared to the stock wire and feel a little narrower. It will also be marginally taller than stock wire that has been leveled by hand or Pleck, but not too far off the mark. I've was told that the Jescar FW45100 could be obtained in SS composition with a large enough order, but I never followed up on that with the guy from Jescar, Jeff.

Shapes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Work done by Michael Tuttle 2011 Blacktop R7
    [​IMG]

Bone nut as well
    [​IMG]

When this guitar was new it had frets as tall as .045 and some plecked down to .039. Michael had to do a significant amount of board leveling on this one and most will require it.

I did not hear any tonal differences related to the NS vs SS composition. Ditto for the 4 other guitars I've had done.
    Good luck!

Tom

2 people like this.
  4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Gotta like that. Tuttle's fretwork is flawless. I love how he does the fret ends....

1 person likes this.
  5. onlyrockrocks

onlyrockrocks Senior Member

Anybody else?