Refret Tutorial

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, May 8, 2011.

1. Krusty_47

Krusty_47 Member

So I've been reading through all the threads on here and have finally decided to build my own guitar. Which I'm pretty excited about. I wanted to post here first because I thought I'd have some information that would be useful even though I've never re-fretted a guitar before. I have however been a a long time plastic aircraft model builder. One thing I learned from my dad was how to glue the seams together so they would melt together and be easily sanded.

So to get to the point of why that matters here....

These.

[​IMG]

These are drafting pens. The top one works excellent for working with liquid glues and would be exceptional for gluing frets down and even with crack repair.

I watched you use a razor blade and thought this would work better.

You can set the space between the end of the "Drawing Pen" and dip it in the glue. It will wick up the Pen and then stay there until you mate it in the corner groove between the fret and the finger board. The glue will then wick out as you move it down the fret.

You can even find them on Ebay for a decent price. I hope this will help people out.

itchybro likes this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Krusty_47,
    Thanks! That is a nice idea. I'll try it.

3. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

:applause:

Spectacular.

A note to Forum members..Fred did a stellar refret on my '75 Strat a few years ago.

Freddy G likes this.
  4. Krusty_47

Krusty_47 Member

Glad I was able to offer something. I'm planning on pulling my dad's tools when I get the chance and fix the cracked neck on my guitar and see how it goes.

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Chapter 5. This is a longish one...almost 20 minutes. But that's because I wanted to include everything I actually had to do, and that included a bit of shaping and fitting a new bone nut.

Well, I'm burned out on making these vids now. Maybe at a later date I'll add to this thread...vids on more advanced techniques, such as fretting with binding, nibs and burnishing frets to case harden them.
    Cheers!
    Freddy

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  6. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Freddy, Thank you so much for all of the effort that went into making these videos. You are a hell of a great guy for doing it!

Freddy G likes this.
  7. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Great videos, Freddy.
    I know they're a lot of work but these will be helping countless people for years to come. The internet can be a great place thanks to gentlemen like yourself :dude:

8. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

As for the EJ Strat, I have it back and it plays and feels fantastic!
    The higher frets do indeed make the world of difference. No more finger drag and the
    setup was perfect.

Thanks again Freddy for all of the hard work and for posting these videos. It takes longer to
    actually explain how to do something then to just do it, and I am sure I speak for us all when I say we appreciate the effort.

Freddy G and Mr Teeny like this.
  9. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

Fantastic Freddy! I've done several fret jobs but I still got several great tips from your vids! Thanks!!! :thumb:

Freddy G likes this.
  10. free2rock

free2rock Senior Member

I was about to suggest that! Thanks a lot! :applause:

11. Lurko

Lurko Senior Member

Thanks for reminding me why I pay people to do this kind of work. Wow.

siore likes this.
  12. TravisW

TravisW Senior Member

Great video series! I've done a few refrets, but you definitely have some tricks that would have helped. The final vid left me wondering...how do you get the masking tape to peel off so nicely?

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It's low tack "painters" tape. Especially necessary if you have to tape off a lacquered maple board, sometimes if I can see that the lacquer is fragile, lifting or checked I'll de-tack it even more by pulling a legth off the roll and sticking it to my pant leg a few times. It's picks up a bit of lint yes, but it really does take more stickiness off.

14. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Thanks Freddy for the videos. My guitar has a couple of springy fret ends that I end to fix but I have a question about watering down CA glue. Can all CA be water down and how much water do you use?
    Thanks,
    Rob

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

water? no water, you may have misunderstood...I might have said "water-thin" CA glue...not "water-thinned". That just means the thinnest viscosity CA you can get. It's as thin as water.

16. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought I heard water thinned.

17. w666

w666 Senior Member

You should be burned out from this....it's been an amazing (and selfless) effort! Surely you've got better things to do with your time than to train us novices. I will join the hundreds who have already praised your contribution. Thanks!

18. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

Very great tutorial,, has given me alot of helpful instructions for starting to do my own frets,,many thanks ! !

19. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

Well i finished my first refret tonight and many thanks to Freddy G ! ! Your helpfull tips and things to look out for made it much easier than I figured it would be. I still need to go back and do some leveling as I haven`t gotten alot of practice at that but will get it down in time.

20. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Really great stuff - I have a new unfinished maple Tele neck (Chinese but OK quality) with medium frets. I figure it's a perfect practice piece to do my first refret job. I'd like to replace the mediums with jumbos.