Refinishing my Strat

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by JoeBguitar, Oct 21, 2017.

1. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Learning from mistakes sucks but you did a great job adapting and reworking it, and the results show for themselves. Great job dude.

2. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu Member

I loved reading this. The finish turned out great! You gave me some courage for doing a refinish myself!

JoeBguitar likes this.
  3. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

A few more tips... I did gouge the wood a little bit in some places when stripping the finish. There were also some dings from before that went all the way to the wood. If I had wanted the guitar to look "new", I would have put filler in these. However, I skipped that step because I don't care for it to look pristine or new. It's 15 years old and I intend on it looking that way when I'm done with it.

Also, a little update on progress. I didn't have much luck sanding out those splatters from the brown lacquer. I quickly stopped after realizing it was going to look terrible. I probably needed to put a LOT more clear between the amber and brown. Luckily, most of it will be under the pickguard. There's also some small sanding lines that, once I noticed, I stopped. These are mostly in the forearm area so that will be worn down anyway.

4. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

Another mockup [​IMG]

[​IMG]

yamariv likes this.