REfinishing my LP-100

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by TheQuijano, Dec 20, 2014.

You Pick the ReFinish on my LP-100

Poll closed Jan 3, 2015.
  1. Pistachio Green

5.4%
  2. Ocean Breeze Blue

16.2%
  3. Gold Top with Dark Stain Back

16.2%
  4. Gold Top with Honey Stain back

29.7%
  5. Pelham Blue

18.9%
  6. Dark Chocolate Stain front and Back

13.5%
  1. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

How about a nice trans ebony?

2. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

need color in my guitar collection. I last purchased (for myself) an Olympic White Fender Bass, which I still own. Before that was a Fender Jag-Stang in Sonic Blue ( in '96 or '97). Which I loved, but the land-lord came a knockin' when I was out of money...
    I digress. I want some color added to this guitar. Even Gibson LPJ in Choc stain was eye catchin at the guitar shop, so I added it to the Poll.

3. Fenderplayer

Fenderplayer Member

What are you going to do if the two different variants of gold top split the vote and allow a third color to win?

4. Lutherie

Lutherie Senior Member

Obviously Goldtop with light or preferably red back. It just should be like that :)

1 person likes this.
  5. EVH9442

EVH9442 Senior Member

That's not Pelham Blue.

6. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

Dealer's choice.

7. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

You're right, it isn't. I'm sorry if that is what you interpreted. I had asked for a picture of a sea foam Les Paul. I ended up finding one myself. the blue-green hues just strike me as more Strat colors...

1 person likes this.
  8. Fenderplayer

Fenderplayer Member

They are more of the Fender family of colors. One option [I'm not sure it was already mentioned] but if you were going to do a solid color other than black or white wine red should have been in the running. That would be relatively easy to shoot.

Another thing, I happened to be looking at some other guitar stuff on youtube today and came across something that I wondered if you had considered. This guy stained it and then used tru-oil.

http://youtu.be/H3Df3PsZM8s

9. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

HA, that video series set this into motion! I had lost it, thanks for digging it up for me. That LP copy had a much better veneer than what mine has. The wood grain isn't as nice looking, especially with a 4(!!) piece body. The Dark Choc stain would hide enough of the inconsistencies to look nice (enough). Which is why it is the only full stain option in the mix.

I will watch that video series while I wait for this POLL to take it's course. Overall, I have watched a number of YouTube How-To videos, and I should probably make a list of them for anyone else looking to refinish a guitar.

Thanks again for bringing that video to light.

-TQ

1 person likes this.
  10. Fenderplayer

Fenderplayer Member

You're welcome.

11. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

You might consider the Fender Harvest Gold if gold wins(which it looks like).
    It's a very nice color, and would make a unique LPGT.

1 person likes this.
  12. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

Considered. Thanks.

13. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

Ok, ya'll. I'm doing some searchin for a rattlecan Gold, since The People appear to be leaning that way. I've found this:
    Rustoluem Champagne Mist.
    [​IMG]]
    Perhaps a cross between Gold Top and Harvest Gold?
    A user sample image:
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/17688-A.jpg

Then this:
    [​IMG]
    User Sample:
    http://www.teenyideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/gold-scissors-after-4-edited.jpg

I already have the Honey 272 stain from MinWax; a color I had been planning on using.

Additionally, I am having trouble sourcing (locally) a Cream Jack Plate for this guitar. Should I bite the bullet and just use a cheap copy? Or does anyone really see the jack plate so I should just use the black one I have sitting on my desk?

14. Fenderplayer

Fenderplayer Member

I've actually used that Rustoleum metallic product on some stuff around the house (same series but a blue with metal in it). It looks good but I wouldn't consider it for something like a guitar. I think you'll have metallic glitter on your hands everytime you touch the guitar.

I've never personally tried this stuff so I can't vouch for it but I've heard of people using automotive paints when they want to spray paint guitars with good results. They are a harder finish more akin to something you'd get from the factory. Something like this :
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BFM0376-Metallic-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B00407XAAQ]Amazon.com: Dupli-Color BFM0376 Gold Ash Metallic Ford Exact-Match Automotive Paint - 8 oz. Aerosol: Automotive[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  15. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

I was having trouble logging in also.
    A local auto parts shop has Dupli-color Harvest Gold and Gold Metallic in stock, and I have a coupon there!
    I make trophies for local bicycle races, so I always have gold spray paint in my inventory. Always 'Bright Gold' or some variant.(whatever is cheap) So I don't mind having a few nicer quality golds to pick from on my own shelf. I'll probably end up buying both colors tomorrow.
    Thanks for the heads up, once again.

16. IGRocker

IGRocker Senior Member

I didn't know this was in the backstage :cool:

1 person likes this.
  17. Fenderplayer

Fenderplayer Member

Just one other thing, I think that Dupli-color may actually be an acrylic lacquer. I'm not positive if that's compatible with your urethane you already bought. It may be but it's just something that came to mind you might want to double check.

18. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I don't know what you call dark chocolate stains, but I've seen (and played) a '14 Gibson LPJ in chocolate finish and I found it awesome (looking-wise).

I like natural finish, that lets us see the wood.

19. TheQuijano

TheQuijano Senior Member

Rem22, yep, thats the finish I'm referring to. I almost bought the LPJ also, which is why I added it to the running.

20. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

:laugh2:

..it's like the jokes write themselves sometimes

4 people like this.