Recording to Computer... Help!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by VictorB, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I actually came here to ask a pretty similar question should I start my own thread based on my budget, the software that I already have, and gear that I own(and ultimate goal) or is it okay to ask a few questions in this thread?

I've been watching YouTube videos for the last 5 days and definitely have questions and would like to get started. It's a little confusing/ and a bit overwhelming getting set up on the computer.

Thanks.

2. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

well whats your computer look like?

3. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

hey thanks for the quick reply.

I am using a Dell XPS 8700, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Core i7 4th Generation IntelĀ® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)

I can I think double my RAM.

Running Windows 8.1

Right now I just downloaded Reaper as my DAW but being honest 5 days back I'd never even heard the word DAW. I have Audacity also....but I don't think that is really what I'd need...but I am not sure.

:)

4. Joeydego

reaper is fine. you need an interface and some monitors now. anything you looked at yet?

5. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I think I was initially approaching this in a weird way. (and again I don't want to take anything from this thread) we have a similar situation and pretty similar budgets though...so it's really close. If the OP wants me to start my own thread...no problem.

I got excited about the idea of home recording after seeing some really cool EZDrummer 2 demos....I thought finally. I was a singer for years...have played guitar and bass since I was about 12. But this was kind of the missing piece for me. So I was going to buy either that or I think Superior Drummer...but it immediately got confusing from there..."ok you need this thing called a DAW for it to work" and I wasn't sure what to really get...to basically set myself up....Ezdrummer 2 doesn't work without having EZdrummer 1...etc...now I need this thing called a DAW...how am I going to record my guitar...do I need other software.

I have a Sunn PA...8 channel from the early 90's...I also have a Shure sm58 mic. [​IMG]

as far as interface...no I have nothing...my speakers are cheap logitech set...let me see if I can find it online. [​IMG]

basically I want to record hard rock but with a pretty large range of dynamics. (very heavy rock and then lighter stuff) Bands/ Sounds like early Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin.... Tool or things like Pink Floyd or NIN possibly... I want to just record nice sounding demos....not looking for 50 tracks etc.

again I do not want to derail this guys thread with my questions...so OP...just let me know...if we are going a similar course and the combined thread might help you also...I'll stay here...if not I will start my own...and try and help out here later with what I learn as I move forward.

thanks/

6. Joeydego

whew, ok. Well, you have to ask yourself, how serious do you want to do this? With what you have, I think its not possible to get audio into the computer reasonably. You almost certainly need an interface, the cheapest of which are USB and priced around 100 bucks. You will NOT hear very well from those speakers so forget about any kind of mix of a final product. For that, you'll need monitors, the cheapest of which are decent are probably around 300 bucks for the pair. Add in another 100 for cables and a stand or 2, and you'll need about 500 to get up and running. You'll have a setup you can infinitely record your guitar along with drum tracks and vocals as well, bass too. Going cheap now will just leave you needing the proper stuff down the line.

7. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

sure I was trying to keep my budget inline with the OP.

money is tight for me right now.

and I get what you are saying with...going cheap now...stuff will need to be replaced down the line.... so this helps.

I'll let the thread get back on point and study and do my homework a bit more

thank you/

shoot I DO have Yamaha NS-10M's for my stereo right now...

totally forgot....
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well hello! Those speakers will certainly work, put away that logitech junk! Love 'em or hate 'em you can get good results once you get to know them. I have a colleague who mixes exclusively on NS-10s. He sends me all his stuff for me to master. It's always very consistent.

1 person likes this.
  9. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

a friend of mine had loaned me them about 2 months back and I have been using them as stereo speakers...didn't even occur to me to use them for this project.:shock:
    :naughty:

the logitech were just for youtube background noise while working...so I didn't really care what I had as long as I could crank it a bit and it had some semblance of bass.

hmm...so now interface.

let me do some looking around this evening...watch some videos...read more posts here and try and get some sort of game plan/

I really can't say thanks enough..and again to the OP. I didn't want to mess up your thread...but your situation seemed very similar to mine...so I apologize if this has drifted!

out of curiosity...what have you picked up so far?

and what were your thoughts?

what style of music are you going to be recording?

1 person likes this.