Recording to Computer... Help!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by VictorB, Aug 12, 2015.

1. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

As for thunderbolt, have you checked out the new Focusrite Clarett line?
    Clarett Range | Focusrite

The 8PreX has 8 pres and is expandable via adat for 16 more channels.

1 person likes this.
  2. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Just saw it recently in something Sweetwater sent. Looked interesting but not overly impressed. I'm thinking they should have stackable units that can be a main or slave to the main @ 16 or at least 8, at a time up to 128 tracks.

Thunderbolt could accommodate 100's of tracks simultaneously. Why bother when you have to go ADAT to expand? Firewire is still overkill.

1 person likes this.
  3. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

In what scenario are you recording 100 tracks simultaneously?? :shock:

And ADAT is the limiting factor, each ADAT port can only do 8. The 8PreX has 2 ADAT ins/outs

4. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

You know what.... You're right. I'm being ridiculous thinking I'd ever do anything that big. Delusions of grandeur here. :confused:

I will seriously look into this.

Thank YOU for the reality check. :cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  5. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

:thumb: You're welcome! 16 simultaneous inputs can handle quite a lot, 24 can cover most things.

2 people like this.
  6. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

although you may or may not be micing the london philharmonic anytime soon, keeping a system open for expansion is never a bad idea.

2 people like this.
  7. Joeydego

and yea, with 16 ins, you'll be able to record most live modern pop or rock bands no problem.

1 person likes this.
  8. themightyjaymoe

themightyjaymoe Senior Member

Howdy. From one newbie to another I have some suggestions that have worked for me. This is by no means the gospel and i encourage you to form your own opinion. I've been recording for 8 months now and although I have much more to learn, i found out some things pretty quickly.

1. As mentioned earlier studio monitors are very important. I snagged a pair of M audio av30 compact monitors for 100.00. Newer av32s are around the same price. There are better options out thier but for me they're perfect. Get the best you can afford, you'll thank yourself later.

2. Interfaces are in my humble opinion also pretty important. I picked up an avid interface for $150.00 and it works beautifully. Not something you'd see in a pro studio but it wasn't designed for a pro studio. The bedroom studio was what they had in mind when they designed it.

3. You can get a DAW for under 100 bucks such as reaper, or slightly more for presonus studio one. I use pro tools but I got a deal on a cross grade and know several people that have it too so i use them as a resource, so no pro tools isnt manditory, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Google and forums are also full of knowledve tips and tricks.

4. I use a few plug ins but honestly, most DAWs come with plug ins and there are many options for free usable plugins. Again you can get great results without spending a fortune and you can always add on later. I started with nothing and moved up to amplitube, waves gtr 3, bias desktop, ez drummer, ez mix. You get the idea.

Hope that helped and dont be afraid to ask questions. We all did and still do. Happy hunting.

9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

rxb, your statement is dead on for 99% of the time. But.....

JD does hit on the point I was trying to make above......

I may never simultaneously record loads of channels.....

HOWEVER, I do want to invest into something that is expandable to a decent saturation without needing a forklift upgrade! And within the same manufacturer's offerings. The more we mix manufacturers, the more stuff happens that wasn't expected.

I'm thinking by now something that is modular, with up to 16 tracks per unit into Thunderbolt, can be stacked up to 128 tracks. And for both PC and Mac. But I ain't seeing anything like it yet!

I hate when that happens! LOL :laugh2:

I'm turning blue holding my breath for so loong! :shock:

1 person likes this.
  10. Joeydego

does focusrite have anything like that? Their thunderbolt interfaces looked pretty cool at NAMM this year.

1 person likes this.
  11. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Let me get this straight.. You may never record 128 simultaneous inputs (or even half, hell a quarter of that)... But you eventually want 128 inputs? I just don't understand :confused:

I agree about expansion being a good thing, but reasonable, logical expansion.

1 person likes this.
  12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Just dreams that will never happen (probably). But in this day in age, I'd like to think keeping the door open would be easier. That's all. But not likely to happen for a couple more years.

Sounds kinda like a Molly Hatchet song.

And JD, yes, check out this impressive Focusrite step up to seriously more professional offerings. rxb pointed me at it. But not expandable like I mentioned above. Still with ADAT: Clarett Range | Focusrite

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

1 person likes this.
  14. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Senior Member

I know this thread is a few months old, but instead of starting a brand new one, I thought I'd ask my questions here.

I have a Windows 10 machine w/8GB RAM and I'm using a Zoom R8 with the free Cubase LE 6 software that came with it. My big problem is drums. Will Toontrack EZ Drummer work with my setup? I'm working with an old Boss DR-660 for drums now - I'm less than successful at programming this thing so I've been using the canned patterns which sound pretty cheesy and often times do not fit the song I'm trying to do. Any help, suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated!!!

15. Fireproof

Fireproof Senior Member

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 as the usb audio interface. Don't get the 2i2 if you want to run guitar or bass direct as it doesn't handle high output signals without clipping. Even acoustic/electrics with will clip it. The 2i4, on the other hand, comes with a "Pad" button for hotter signals like guitars that addresses that issue.

16. Joeydego

It'll work so long as Cubase LE 6 supports 3rd party plugins and Virtual Instruments.

1 person likes this.
  17. Joeydego

After a quick google search it appears LE supports VST plugins so the short answer is yes, it'll work.

1 person likes this.
  18. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Senior Member

I downloaded the trial version of EZ Drummer. Put together a little drum beat sample. What I can't figure out is how to get that from EZ Drummer into Cubase. Any help out there? What are the steps?

19. Joeydego

you have to pull up ez drummer IN cubase as a VST plugin. I'd google how to do that. Protools has dedicated stereo instrument tracks to do this on. Cubase I have no idea though. It has to be on its own stereo track in cubase I imagine. You dont run EZD AND cubase together, you use EZD IN cubase if that makes sense

3 people like this.
  20. Joeydego

this might be helpful
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmDaq_sWNg[/ame]

1 person likes this.