recording softw.cakewalk or cubase?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by xcomax, Feb 13, 2009.

1. xcomax

xcomax Junior Member

Hi, I am about to buy a recording software, what do you guys suggest I get? I know cakewalk and cubase are very good which one should I go for? and do they require any special hardware for good quality recording? thanks.

2. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Hey man,

I used to use Cakewalk, cant remember which version but about 5 years ago, then switched to Cubase SX which I prefer and have used this for about 4 years. This is ideal for me - plenty of audio tracks, easy to use and is stable both with XP and Vista.

I have a song in the Cellar forum which was recorded about two weeks ago using Cubase, with a pod UX2 and condenser mic - so you can judge for yourself. I dont have proper studio monitors so mixdown is a bit of guess work really, and the condensor cost £60 so is budget gear (SE1A).Everything was mic'd, except the bass part, and the drums are individual drum samples which I pasted into cubase to create the drum track for my song (the longest and most laborious process of the whole thing).

hope this helps :)

3. madams17

madams17 Senior Member

I use Cakewalk Sonar and it works well for me. It's pretty intuitive and with the right computer you can have unlimited tracks. Also, depending on the OS you are running, you will want to tune your computer to run any music software.

4. redlir

redlir Senior Member

Seriously.. try REAPER. The non commercial license is around 50 bucks and you can try it out without limitation. I've used almost every DAW out there over there years, and I use REAPER.

5. VictorLazarus

VictorLazarus Senior Member

I use Cubase; you can do alot with it but its very complicated to setup for the first time.

MVL.