Recording: please help a noob out

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Hurricane Jake, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hurricane Jake

Hurricane Jake Member

Getting back into guitar properly after some time and always remembered this site as a great resource. Wanting to get into recording but I have almost zero knowledge as regards the tech side - my question is this:

Is there any such device that can take a signal from a guitar amp's headphone output and allow recording (ideally silently) which can then be edited on some kind of computer interface?

Completely ignorant in gear as in life guys :cheers2:

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Yes

Pretty much any audio interface for a PC that can accept a line in signal should work. Too many audio interface options to list. As an example the Focusrite Scarlet series are good afordable interfaces. You can get as few as two inputs to perhaps two dozen.

The line in on a PC sound card/motherboard would work also.

Many other makers of audio interfaces. Most are USB into your PC.

On the PC you would run digital audio workstation (DAW) software. One of the best and also very affordable is called Reaper. Only costs about $70 and can do just about anything that needs doing.

The DAW software can record, add FX, mix , multitrack and basically do anything that can be done in a recording studio console.

There is a very wide range of options and a lot of things to learn. Though the basics are pretty straight forward.

If simplicity is more important the having a bunch of pro options, there are other simpler DAWs available. Though I'm not familiar with them. But someone else will probably make some suggestions.

Learning about this is a bit like drinking from a fire hose. It can be overwhelming at first. But ultimately you can put together a very basic system if you want.

Keep in mind that recording the headphone out from an amp probably won't sound as good as using a half decent microphone.

it sounds like you have a modeling amp and want to record without making noise. Nothing wrong about that aproach. But you might also want to look at amp modeling software.

One example I like is Amplitube. There are many others. With these you plug the guitar directly into the audio interface. The amp modler can be run as an audio plugin to the DAW, or often standalone.

In any case, amp modeling will give you dozens of possible amps, cabinets, FX units, simulated microphones and other options. You can make great recordings this way.

Anyway, just another option.

3. Hurricane Jake

Hurricane Jake Member

Thanks mate :thumb:

4. Hurricane Jake

Hurricane Jake Member

Yeah you mention wanting to record without noise, I'm playing through a 15W tube amp which is perfect for all the sounds I want, just trying to negotiate how I can best capture that efficiently and in a way which won't a) break the bank and b) turn my flat into Abbey Road.

5. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

I'm still not sure if you want to record quietly so as not to disturb others, or if you mean you want quality recordings without audio noise such as hiss.

A modern audio interface is very quiet. The hiss from your amp will dominate. A microphone will get you the best overall sound. But mics cost money. So recoding direct avoids that.

As for the DAW, while Reaper is $70 you can demo it indefinately for free and just put up with the nag screen.

Some audio interfaces also come with free DAW software.

6. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I have owned a Scarlett 2i2 and I curently own a low end Presonus and I just bought a Komplete Audio 6.

The Komplete Audio 6 shines well above the other two! I love it. Easy to use with lots of options.

I also use Reaper and also think it does a great job although I have yet to completely master editing!

7. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

Drinking from a fire hose - Great analogy :)

I use Reaper and a Scarlett 2i2